There's no firm timeline, but Ford is 'working toward' selling only EVs in the U.S.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. CEO Jim Farley declared last week that the 2022 F-150 Lightning was "just the beginning of a whole new era at Ford."

That new era may eventually mean an all-electric lineup in the U.S.

While the company hasn't set a target date as rivals, including General Motors, have, it's on that path, said Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of the Americas and international markets group.

"I can easily see a point where we'd say, 'Here's the date where we'd be all-electric,' " he told Automotive News. "We're certainly working toward it."

Ford's electric vehicle plans will hinge on customer acceptance of the F-150 Lightning electric pickup, unveiled last week to wide praise from Wall Street analysts.

The automaker hopes to leverage the reputation and scale of the nation's bestselling vehicle, along with its upcoming E-Transit van and the Mustang Mach-E crossover it launched at the end of last year to speed acceptance of EVs. To underscore its accelerating EV ambition, Ford last week agreed to a joint venture with SK Innovation to build its own batteries. The deal calls for two new plants to begin significant production by mid-decade.

Less than a year ago, under former CEO Jim Hackett, Ford was content to source batteries through suppliers, and its EV plans appeared less aggressive than many rivals'. It has since upped its electrification investment to $22 billion through 2025.

"Our product plans have changed dramatically," Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's chief product platform and operations officer, said while announcing the SK battery deal. "We have a new CEO, and part of our plan is to lead the electric revolution."

‘A big test'
Ford has not yet placed a time frame on going all-electric in the U.S. because the environment is still undecided, Galhotra said. In Europe, where there are demands by governments to ban gasoline cars, Ford has promised to sell nothing but EVs by 2030, if not sooner.

"The two markets are in a very different place," Galhotra said. "As that market was maturing and moving in Europe, it was clear at what point we'd be all-electric. I suspect the same thing is happening here; we're just not at that point."

Ford's top brass hopes to have a clearer sense once the Lightning goes on sale next spring. GM says it aims to have a zero-emission light-duty lineup by 2035, while admitting that the pace of consumer adoption could change that.

The F-150 Lightning starts at $39,974 before an undisclosed shipping fee — far less than many on Wall Street had been expecting — and will come in four trims.

After the base model aimed at commercial fleets, the retail-oriented XLT starts at $52,974, and the lineup will top out at around $90,000.

The truck features standard four-wheel drive; the F-150's first independent rear suspension; an improved on-board generator that can power a house or worksite for three straight days; and the industry's largest front trunk, offering four power outlets and space for two sets of golf clubs.

Ford said the Lightning can outrun an F-150 Raptor, with a targeted 0-to-60-mph time in the mid-four-second range. Its dual electric motors are expected to produce 563 hp and 775 pound-feet of torque, making it more powerful than any F-150 before it, including the V-8 variants that previously bore the Lightning badge.

The standard-range battery is expected to get 230 miles to a charge, and an extended-range option promises 300 miles. The pickup also can tow up to 10,000 pounds and haul up to 2,000 pounds.

"We should all watch very carefully how this does in the market," Farley told reporters last week. "This will be a big test for a majority of customers because it's such a big segment and the price is so approachable. I think it will kind of show where EV adoption really is."

Read more: EV-only future on Ford's radar

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With the mandates ever increasing, wouldn't be surprised by no ICE by 2028.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, got to save up the next few years to buy the last ICE GT500.

Unfortunately it seems like the Government asks for something and some of these manufacturers are saying wait we can get it done faster!

q6543

Established Member
It's not just electric, it's the autonomous humans REALLY aren't ready for.

When you can only drive that gt500 on a private track or closed course...ughh what fun is that.

All in the name of saving lives.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
230 mile range slash that by 15% if you need the heater or A/C so well under 190 on a good day, then have to wait 6-10 hours to go from a 10% charge level to a full. Again this is a dead end until a few things happen.

The greens don't care.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
in the current political climate this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

Agreed. Par for the course.

Give it 3 years and the narrative will change. Always does. Electric cars will come out by the end of Biden's first term. They'll sort-of sell okay but by no means replace ICE sales, or the aging fleet of vehicles out there. They'll have to basically give away most EV's to convince people to replace their 1999 Taurus.

A more practical option would be hybrid versions of most vehicles. Removes the need to charge, but increases the fuel efficiency of ICE. Kind of a best of both worlds IMO. The McLaren P1 changed my mind on what hybrid tech can really do performance wise.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Lol Ford is going to get ****ed so hard in the ass when they try to do this. What percentage of Fords sale are commercial trucks? Those will go all to Ram or whomever is waiting for fill that gap.

ZWilson07

Established Member
They are also going electric....

You say that like its supposed to mean something? Eh at the very least I doubt they go all electric before Ford does. Hell they will still hellcat and V8 anything right now even if realistically it doesnt make much sense but they do it just because customers want it.

Ford customers tell Ford what they want and then Ford says..... no no no THIS is what you want......

Nah im cool. At least Ram acts like they want my money instead of acting like i should feel blessed that I own a Ford. Thats coming from a life long die hard Ford/Lincoln owner and fan so what does that tell ya?

Im also not against hybrid/electric and I am sure with time, everyone will start coming around to it but this is just another example of Ford being first at pissing their customers off and telling them they have THE solution to a problem the customer doesnt even have. Thought Ford was supposed to be going back to giving customers what they want? At this rate might as well bring back the previous management; I am sure they could at least come up with some furniture for my bedroom suit that is aging.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Gotta love big businesses catering to government. Probably hoping for a bailout or loan if this goes south. I personally could give two shits if people want to drive electric vehicles but I choose to drive an ICE. Democrats think they know what’s best for everyone, do as I say not as I do. They can go **** themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread