Thermostat & Cooling System: Reische Performance

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
After about 5 to 6 hard laps, the engine starts to overheat
Well honestly your cooling system in it's stock form is not really adequate to handle the heat generated by open tracking. Folks who do it regularly have found it necessary to cut vents into the hood or box in the radiator to increase airflow. Airflow is the key to improving your heat extraction capabilities.
the engine starts to overheat, and it pukes a bit of rad fluid out the rad cap. I let cool for 45 minutes and take it again... Why is this Thermostat blowing all the time ?
Your thermostat does not keep going bad, the dealer is just applying the simplest solution to the problem. Likely a combination of one or both of these things is happening. First of all if your engine ever overheats and pukes out coolant it MUST be refilled properly every time, procedure here: Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products Otherwise there will be air trapped in the system and you will overheat again shortly, as you've noticed. When the dealer swaps out the thermostat they also burp the system when they refill it which is probably what actually solves the problem.

Second issue is there could be air getting into the system at the cap/reservoir seal. If you've puked out coolant numerous times the cap definitely needs to be replaced but possibly even the whole reservoir bottle. Very hot coolant puking out the overflow around the cap has been known to warp the threads and may prevent the cap from sealing properly over time.

My thermostat may keep the car cooler the first few laps but will not solve your problem because it does not increase the system's maximum heat extraction capability. Replace the cap and reservoir to be safe and running the coolant a bit on the low side to allow additional coolant expansion is actually not a bad idea. Become familiar with the refill procedure and use it if you ever overheat again. You might consider a bit less boost for the track and also run very conservative timing in order to safely deal with the elevated temps. Your only other option is to find ways to increase airflow if you plan to track the car often.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
temps are great in az right now but will be ordering this before the "winter" is over here so it will be ready for the heat! Great product!

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Quick question, look at step below (I was under the impression once you fill the reservoir to the proper level and close it you do NOT open the cap again!) ??

Crack open the degas bottle cap enough to allow the coolant level in the funnel to drop to within 1 inch of the bottom of the funnel.
Tighten the cap.

When the level in the funnel drops is it because air is getting in??

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Crack open the degas bottle cap enough to allow the coolant level in the funnel to drop to within 1 inch of the bottom of the funnel. Tighten the cap.
This is not a step in my own procedure. It is probably an attempt to move air through the system towards the reservoir, at best it will probably just overfill the reservoir. At worst- if you don't close the cap fast enough you may pull more air back into the crossover. At any rate it is not necessary, you can use the procedure here on my website: Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
Thanks, I will.... I've used your procedure the last few times and have had success. I'll be replacing my reservoir today so I will do it again..... I hope this is the last time I have to mess with the cooling system.

If there is too much coolant in the system that would cause it to puke through the cap,.....right? it looked like it was above the add coolant line.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If there is too much coolant in the system that would cause it to puke through the cap,.....right?
That's correct. This happens when there is not enough gas in the reservoir to buffer the hot coolant expansion. The cap releases pressure to a channel around the reservoir threads and excessive coolant will run down the side of the reservoir. A bit unusual as most overflow setups use a hose to neatly dispel excessive gas/coolant to the ground.

Regardless your coolant will level itself properly after several heat cycles.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I think there is a temporary issue with Lethal's website. I'll follow up with this to see what's going on. In the mean time you can just call your order in: 877-253-8425

EDIT 7/13/12: Fixed! The thermostats are back on the site.

Last edited:

ZZR

Kickin it in a Termie
Established Member
Bought and installed one, impressed with the results............money well spent / thanks for a great product.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
What are the recommended fan settings when using your tstat?
Fan settings vary slightly depending upon the programmer you're using, here are the settings for the Terminator:

SCT XCal
Low Fan Speed: 186° (shuts off @178°)
High Fan Speed: 190°

DiabloSport Predator
Fan ECT1 High On: 190°
Fan ECT2 High On: 190°
Fan High Off: 186°
Fan Low Off: 182° (shuts off @180°)
Fan Low On: 184°

Generally your cooling fan should turn on between 184-190° and shut off between 176-182° and proper fan function should confirmed after reflashing your tune.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Just ordered mine yesterday!!! Won't install it until I get my new radiator later this month, but doing the reservoir as well. Hopefully all of this will end my overheating issues once and for all. I will report back to this thread with my results. Can't wait!!!!

Any new improvements in the foreseeable future to your Resiche t-stat Joel? Or is your 170F t-stat as close to perfect as its going to get?

Users who are viewing this thread