Thermostat & Cooling System: Reische Performance

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Joel,

I know I have said this before. But it looks like I'm going to finally order one of these real soon. Do you still make these units yourself & can I still call you?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I still modify all of the DOHC units myself and it will probably remain that way for a while yet. Sure you can call me... the only thing that has changed is I have stopped distributing thermostats directly. All sales will be through Lethal.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I still modify all of the DOHC units myself and it will probably remain that way for a while yet. Sure you can call me... the only thing that has changed is I have stopped distributing thermostats directly. All sales will be through Lethal.

I think I'm going to order mine tonight Joel. Do you still make each one or has the secret/valuable knowledge been passed down to some lucky guy... ;-)

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
It's just a matter of freeze protection. You want to run a ratio that is good to about 5-10* below the coldest temp you expect the vehicle to see, also add about 1 and a half bottles of Water Wetter to the system. In Indiana I'd probably go with a 30-35% antifreeze concentration at minimum.

Antifreeze.jpg

Its freeze protection and RUST INHIBITOR as well.....your antifreeze mix needs to be 60/40 either way, but too little water/too little antifreeze you lose cooling properties and rust may start. Especially at the rate most people let these cars sit, rust is definitely something the car may be subject to.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
whats wrong with using one from autozone?
Nothing, just make sure they give you the correct unit (Stant 14138, Gates 33238 or Napa TH109) because it's common for the parts stores to give you an SOHC t-stat that is not correct for the Terminator.

However many people opt to run their engines cooler (using my thermostat and lower fan settings) to help prevent predetonation when running higher levels of boost and/or timing.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
they had a 160 and a 170 so im not sure that part number applies
Those are probably SOHC units and usually the 160* temp version is fairly easy to find. If you give me the part numbers I can tell you for sure what they are. However I have the only low temp thermostat made specifically for the DOHCs that I know of.

Last edited:

mustangal

Established Member
i understand that sometimes if you run a different temp thermostat it could affect MPG drastr\ically..not that its a big deal but is there any negative outcome from a cooler running motor? If not imlooking at getting onereally soon. Also never really looked..how easy or should i say hard is this to get to on install?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
is there any negative outcome from a cooler running motor? ..how easy or should i say hard is this to get to on install?
Yes, if the ECT does not get above a certain temp then the comp will never come out of warm up mode destroying fuel economy. This is why I don't recommend using a 160° unit or a t-stat with too many holes in the diaphragm, especially in cold weather. However this has not been reported to be an issue by anyone using my thermostat.

The install is very simple but in the process most of the coolant will come out requiring the system to be refilled and burped. The procedure is on my site here: Cobra & Mach 1 Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

DarkMach1

Established Member
Do you see any issues running this or any other low temp thermostat in FL winters?? Lowest we see is low 40s. Thanks.

Stalker27

Established Member
I'm about to order your 170 but have a question. It's freakin hott and humid here in Memphis TN. I'll be using 3 quarts straight coolant, the rest distilled water & 1 1/2 bottle watr wetter. That sound right to get the 20% coolant?

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member

Cravinmohead22

Import Hater
Established Member
Hey Joel, I installed one of your T-Stats and I have no way of getting temps other than the stock guage. I know this isnt the right way to guage temps but it looks like my car still runs in the half way point of the stock guage. When I pulled the stock Stat out, I lost 2 gallons of coolant. When I installed your Stat, I added 1 gallon of 50/50, 1 gallon of distilled water with 1.5 bottles of water wetter. Is that solution good enough for you T-Stat? Thanks D.J.

Users who are viewing this thread