Think Engine just threw a rod or something???

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Don't drive my car much, took it out tonight and starting getting on highway went from 3rd to 4th about 65mph and I hear a pop and knocking starts like crazy I coast off the exit ramp and pull into a wendy's. See a trail of oil from the car and I can't see under it. Im having it towed home now, gonna put it up on stands to see. It only has 24k miles on it and they aren't hard miles, any thought on what it could be? Thrown rod? If so is that a total engine replacement? FUDGE!!!! I am devastated !

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Sorry , I am so freaking out I forgot to put

2013 TVS
Pulley
Ford 65 mm TB
Kooks Long tube
80lb Injectors
BAP
Afco Dual Fan
The tank
JLT 123
3:73
Aluminum DS
Dyno Tuned @ Brenspeed 93 octane

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Did you get copies of the logs when tuned, are you sure the fuel you were using was up to par, and have you ever had a valve cover off?

BIGYUSM

Established Member
July the tune
Always fill up at same gas , usually good
I have never had valve cover off - I don't think I have the logs , I am going through all the paperwork now.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If the heads are ok and the block/crank/rods got beat up pretty good you can at least pick up a shortblock from FRPP for a very reasonable price and go from there. Looking forward to seeing where the failure originated.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Jack it up and look around. But that sucks if you did blow the motor. If you do the work yourself you can save a lot of money

On edit maybe you blew the oil filter seal and it starved for oil

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
The pop suggest something blew up, a seal maybe. Thus, loosing oil and the knocking noise. could be from too much oil?
The engine may survive depending on how long it was running after loosing oil.

Sorry to hear that man

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm interested as well to hear what went wrong, please keep up posted. Sorry to hear that though, hopefully a fellow Shelby doesn't go down for the count.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
^ How...? This is pump 93, not E85....

And if it windowed the block, it will need a rebuild. The heads may have survived.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
^ How...? This is pump 93, not E85....

And if it windowed the block, it will need a rebuild. The heads may have survived.

There is a lot of info out there that months old gas in a tuned car is a bad idea. This is just one that I found. The air was also very brisk...suspect gas and cold air are a bad combo.

"Lachlan Riddel, proprietor of Gold Coast based tuning company ChipTorque, frequently dyno tests cars which have not previously been driven for several weeks.

“On the fuel mix we have in Queensland, I think fuel in a car’s tank is starting to go off in around three weeks,” Mr Riddel says. “We can tune a car, put it away for three of four weeks, come back to it and it will be either closer to detonation or less likely to make the same power.

“I think local fuel is brewed to reduce evaporative emissions in warm weather and, maybe because of that, fuel really goes crappy in eight to ten weeks. By that stage, the fuel is extremely prone to detonation.”

Interestingly, Mr Riddel hasn’t noticed the engine becoming harder to start but the effect on octane is pronounced.

Similarly, the General Manager of Melbourne’s Advanced Vehicle Operations, Steve Coates, believes fuel tends to go off in a car’s fuel tank quite quickly once it’s a couple of weeks old.

“After a couple of weeks not driving a car, I find that it will be closer to detonation than it was at the time of tuning on the chassis dyno,” he says.

“And the brand of fuel seems to make a difference as well – I find that Mobil and BP products are probably the best after being stored but Shell Optimax is really good when it’s new." "

BIGYUSM

Established Member
Gas was just put in it about 2 weeks ago - I haven't got under it yet - going to this morning - took forever for the tow truck to get here. As I have posted many times - I am no mechanic - I did the plugs , pulley , the tank, fuel filter myself - I am gonna go jack it up shortly and see what I can see. Anything I should look for to identify the possible problem ? Thanks

BIGYUSM

Established Member
a quick look under it - oil still streaming out on the right side of the oil pan towards the back of it- not the oil plug area - its coming from above the pan- I am waiting on a friend of mine to get here later so we can push it in the garage. I might just leave it till spring - since its gonna be snowing here soon. I don't know , I am so irritated and mad. Only has 24k and I take care of it - I am sure I will do it now though - :/

Users who are viewing this thread