Think Engine just threw a rod or something???

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I've got a VMP tune and live where it gets into the low teens at night. Should I be worried? Stock blower, 2.59", heat exchanger, on a 93 tune. Do they only tune for "Florida" weather? How do they know their tune works at these cold temps, living in Florida? Thanks

They tune across the country. You are fine.....

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
On my GT500, I did not drive it for many months, it had 3/4 tank of gas in it. It started up and idled fine on old/bad gas, but as soon as I started to roll into it (and generate boost) it pinged, I let out, drove it easy, and push some fresh gas in after the tank got low. I think gas that is 2-4wks old is just fine. Filling up too often and getting whatever was left over in the hose (if its one hose for 87/89/93) is a bad thing too, I always recommend putting a full tank in.

IMO the MAF pegging thing was more about cobras being tuned too aggressively back in what I call the dark ages of tuning (10-12yrs ago). If you want to make a case for that I will tell you the 07-09 GT500s will peg the MAF in STOCK form, which is why we never put a pulley on them without first putting a larger CAI on (which increases maf range). That being said, most of the aftermarket CAIs and intakes out there don't peg easily, and if you do, the GT500 motor does not go lean all that quickly.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
On my GT500, I did not drive it for many months, it had 3/4 tank of gas in it. It started up and idled fine on old/bad gas, but as soon as I started to roll into it (and generate boost) it pinged, I let out, drove it easy, and push some fresh gas in after the tank got low. I think gas that is 2-4wks old is just fine. Filling up too often and getting whatever was left over in the hose (if its one hose for 87/89/93) is a bad thing too, I always recommend putting a full tank in.

IMO the MAF pegging thing was more about cobras being tuned too aggressively back in what I call the dark ages of tuning (10-12yrs ago). If you want to make a case for that I will tell you the 07-09 GT500s will peg the MAF in STOCK form, which is why we never put a pulley on them without first putting a larger CAI on (which increases maf range). That being said, most of the aftermarket CAIs and intakes out there don't peg easily, and if you do, the GT500 motor does not go lean all that quickly.

I should have clarified that I was talking about the 03-04 Cobras back in the day In my first response. I did not mean to cause panic. Lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Do not see too many of these threads. Hope it did not do a ton of damage. Sorry brother

Every winter you would see 5-8 threads, about blowing an engine, this time of year in the Lightning subforum.

Good luck OP, hopefully the damage is minor! In my Lightning, I shattered all 8 rods, 2 cracked pistons and multiple windows in the block but only needed a short block and the valves changed.

Last edited:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Every winter you would see 5-8 threads, about blowing an engine, this time of year in the Lightning subforum.

Good luck OP, hopefully the damage is minor! In my Lightning, I shattered all 8 rods, 2 cracked pistons and multiple windows in the block but only needed a short block and the valves changed.

Good to know. I do not drive my lightning hard at all. Especially not during the winter time

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Really sorry to hear about your engine, send us a PM or email if we can help, we have Fully Forged shortblocks (100% brand new) with 1 year warranty starting at just $3399, we can also pick up your damaged engine and swap all of the good parts over and send it back ready to drop in. Best of luck either way and sorry again to hear about that!

MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR
www.modularmotorsporstracing.com

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You are correct about the knock sensors. The cold weather and KaBoom...I don't know. My car will be tuned in a different climate(colder) than I live. I guess we will see. On a side note, Black99, my buddy's freshly Vmp genII supercharged 08 Gt500 has a money race against a stock '14 ctsv coupe auto. 45-120. Whatcha think?

should destroy a STOCK ctsv. My 09 with a 13TVS would turn 130's through the 1/4. I don't see anyway a stock CTSV running near that. Does the CTSV know about the blower swap? I'd say stock for stock my 12 and stock CTSV is a drivers race.

breoland

Established Member
should destroy a STOCK ctsv. My 09 with a 13TVS would turn 130's through the 1/4. I don't see anyway a stock CTSV running near that. Does the CTSV know about the blower swap? I'd say stock for stock my 12 and stock CTSV is a drivers race.

Here is my stock long block that I have been running with zero issues in old weather or warm...all the bolt ons with a gen1 Tvs
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCrGCp1l6Hs

These stock motors are plenty strong

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member

Steve@Tasca

What kind of power will this hold up under?

Depends on tuning and supporting mods really, FRPP only tests in house to 750hp but I know these have gone way past that. I've sold quite a few over the years and honestly can't recall anyone having an issue with one.

-Steve

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If it was a bad tune or fuel system issue, it wouldn't matter what short block he had? If it went lean, or detonated, I'm under the impression even a built bottom end would fail? So he needs to find out why it let go. Seems like he wasn't abusing it, or making a ton of power, so that rules out mechanical failure, right?

Steve@Tasca

If it was a bad tune or fuel system issue, it wouldn't matter what short block he had? If it went lean, or detonated, I'm under the impression even a built bottom end would fail? So he needs to find out why it let go. Seems like he wasn't abusing it, or making a ton of power, so that rules out mechanical failure, right?

Absolutely correct, you could build a million dollar engine and without good tuning and supporting mods it'll blow up just like a stock engine.

I've seen a simple injector failure destroy and engine and that's no ones fault, just bad luck.

-Steve

BIGYUSM

Established Member
No update yet, Taking it to Brenspeed this week. First I am pulling the plugs and getting under it to see what I can see. My step father in law use to build race cars and caught wind this happened and is coming by to start looking at it. I will take pics over the next couple days and I am sure Im about to learn a whole lot. I havent had the energy to look at it today, still so distraught. Brenspeed is waiting for it to get into and figure out exactly what happened , they are always top notch to me.

Spudz

Established Member
Ugh, this gets me worried. I was supposed to be out of town on business for 2 weeks and didn't make long term prep for my car. 2 Weeks became 5 months now and counting. I'm having my father drive it around every few weeks, but even so it has a full tank of probably bad gas by now. Would a can of torco be good insurance?

jaiasmit

Established Member
35 outside, I was driving for 25 min in traffic before I got on highway- about 10 miles of stop and go

Its an 07 - I can't do the work myself don't have the proper tools - I do have a full time mechanic at my friends company who will do it for me at his shop for cheap, but I don't really want to do that. I will talk to Brent - He has always been good to me on everything and I have spent a ton with him ( I think) so I am sure he will do me solid. He is 2 hours away so I will tow it there.

I wasn't into the throttle hard, but I did hear it go into boost then a pop - I love that car so much - 3 years ago the only thing I have bought myself for fun since I started my business 7 years ago! Im sure its fixable , just the cost I am not looking forward too. Hoping I can keep it around 5 or 6k - Don't know if that is possible lol

Definitely talk with Brent. He's a solid guy and should definitely help out if he can. I'm actually really surprised to hear this happened on a Brent tuned car. I've had Brent work on several of mine and the tunes are always pretty safe. Anything can happen, but hopefully you can get it repaired reasonably. Best of luck

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Ugh, this gets me worried. I was supposed to be out of town on business for 2 weeks and didn't make long term prep for my car. 2 Weeks became 5 months now and counting. I'm having my father drive it around every few weeks, but even so it has a full tank of probably bad gas by now. Would a can of torco be good insurance?

You will be fine just use up the old gas before getting into the throttle hard. I've had my car in storage for a year before and then for 8 months recently and haven't had a issue. All we did was start it once a month and ran for 20 min then shut it off, we did put a battery tender on it also. If someone is driving it they can put fresh gas in it. I wouldn't add torco bad gas is bad gas I don't think it would make a difference

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... That being said, most of the aftermarket CAIs and intakes out there don't peg easily, and if you do, the GT500 motor does not go lean all that quickly.

Ain't that the truth! I went from the Cobra Jet 65mm twin throttle body to the Super Cobra Jet mono-blade throttle body with no tune update and mine still will puff black smoke at the top of the rev band.

I, too, will let mine sit for months on end sometimes between driving spells (2-car garage and the Forester is always in the way) and haven't had any issues with gas. However, when I do initially take it out, I don't hammer on it at first. My "methods" are to park it with a quarter or less fuel then use that [possibly water infused fuel] to gently drive around to get everything up to temperature until that's almost used up, hit one of my favorite gas stations to fill up with some fresh gas, then go have fun. That little bit of water might be steam cleaning my combustion chambers and valves. :lol1:

Really sorry to hear about your engine, send us a PM or email if we can help, we have Fully Forged shortblocks (100% brand new) with 1 year warranty starting at just $3399, we can also pick up your damaged engine and swap all of the good parts over and send it back ready to drop in. Best of luck either way and sorry again to hear about that!

MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR
www.modularmotorsporstracing.com

Wow! That's some good service. If my engine ever gives up the ghost, I'll be giving you guys a call.

... I'd say stock for stock my 12 and stock CTSV is a drivers race.

And that is pretty much how it always plays out; a drivers race between stock CTS-Vs and '11/'12 GT500s.

These stock motors are plenty strong

But few people want to believe it's true for some reason. :??: Get anything over 700HP at the wheels and the first thing people say is "you're pushing it" on a stock assembly. Why? :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread