Thinking about a new daily beater -need opinions

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I am thinking about a 2014 ford focus se for a new daily beater. I travel for work all over central texas and will probably put 30k miles per year just traveling for work. Anybody have one of these that can verify the comfort for 2-6 hrs in the car every day. I have read some of the autos had problems with the trans, but the one I am looking at is a manual trans. Does anyone know of any issues with the manual trans in the 14's?

I currently have a 2000 s10 that is a great daily beater but I really need 4 doors with good gas mpg. I was considering newish toyota corolla, newish ford focus, newish honda civic but it seems I can get the 14 focus cheaper than a used one and the focus is cheaper than any of the others new. My dealer found a 2014 se with alloys, sync, power windows and locks for under $15,000 which is about where i want to be. I figure the savings in gas every month will justify the added car payment and my s10 is getting up there in mileage and I really don't want to fix anything else that breaks on it. What are your opinions here?

Last edited:

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
Good choice with the manual. I drive The autos everyday for work, and they are TERRIBLE. Don't get suckered into one no matter how cheap it is. Manual only!

I say get a newer car if financially you don't have to even think hard about it. Sell the S10 while it's still running fine and isn't one of those "running, just needs tune up, alignment, tires, control arms.." cars that sells for nothing.

MPG will really help, especially driving as much as you do. Get a cheapo beater, you could probably score a few year old one for like $10k with not many miles too, unless you really want a brand new one.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
The 14 are supposed to get 38+ mpg on the hwy vs a few less in the older style. I think the newer one looks better which is why I was thinking going with the 14 over an older one.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have a 2010 focus auto. I drive tons as well. Its plenty comfortable for spending that amount of time in it.

Users who are viewing this thread