thinking about getting a sho!

sb306

Established Member
Like the title says, Im thinking about getting a sho for a daily driver/commuter. I've always liked the sho and lately with gas pices constatly creeping up, I thought I might get another car that I would enjoy to go along with my lightning. I was just wondering the ins and outs of the sho. Like the reliability of the 1 transmissions, reliability etc.

One of the big things of course would be mileage. Does anyone know what kind of mileage a sho would get commuting at 60mph? My trip to work is about 70 miles one way.

I was also wondering about simple mods like cai and exhaust and anything that would help mileage. Thanks in advance guys.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
+1 but you'll have to specify which generation you're looking at. I don't really know that much either but I do know that the latest models were V8s but I prefer the older body style with the yamaha v6

sb306

Established Member
oops. haha. Yea, im talking about the first gen with the yamaha engine. never liked the egg shaped taurus.

blue92

Established Member
oops. haha. Yea, im talking about the first gen with the yamaha engine. never liked the egg shaped taurus.

Hit the link at the bottom of my sig, and register there. There's a couple peeps over there with some gen1 and gen2 MTXs for sale. The guys on that board keep their SHO well maintained unlike a lot of the peeps on SHOforum. Plus on that board no one will get pissed at ya for droppin' the MF bomb.

Last edited:

Shojr

Established Member
they get alright gas mileage the only down is that u have to run 93 oct in them my 93 gets around 24 mpg on the hwy as for my 96 when it was stock it got around 20 or so on the other note the only problem i know of that the second gen had were the auto trannys the go out real easy stock or modded as for a dd i would say you would enjoy it they are fun to drive for a 4 door car

TOZOVR

Established Member
Hit the link at the bottom of my sig, and register there. There's a couple peeps over there with some gen1 and gen2 MTXs for sale. The guys on that board keep their SHO well maintained unlike a lot of the peeps on SHOforum. Plus on that board no one with get pissed at ya for droppin' the MF bomb.

+1 on Fordbastards

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You don't have to run 93 in them. They will run on 89/87 just fine depending on the temperature outside. Been there done that.

I love the little Yamahammer, but wouldn't have one as a DD today as they are maintenance whores. If you don't stay on top of it, you risk being stranded. If you can find one where the individual has been on top of the maintenance over the years it may be worth it...

blue92

Established Member
You don't have to run 93 in them. They will run on 89/87 just fine depending on the temperature outside. Been there done that.

I love the little Yamahammer, but wouldn't have one as a DD today as they are maintenance whores. If you don't stay on top of it, you risk being stranded. If you can find one where the individual has been on top of the maintenance over the years it may be worth it...

That's why I recommended looking for one on fordbastards.

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
they get alright gas mileage the only down is that u have to run 93 oct in them my 93 gets around 24 mpg on the hwy as for my 96 when it was stock it got around 20 or so on the other note the only problem i know of that the second gen had were the auto trannys the go out real easy stock or modded as for a dd i would say you would enjoy it they are fun to drive for a 4 door car
I've run 87 in my camm'd SHO for all but about 6 months I owned it.

blue92

Established Member
I've always run regular unleaded in bkue92 especially after Sergio Perfetti told me he's run regular in his 89 since the day he bought it and he's a SHO mechanic in Houston, Tx.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
SHO's are fun and very inexpensive.. I had a 91 Plus as my DD a while back, and now I have a red 93 as my current DD. Keep up on maintinance and enjoy! Just remember they are going on 15-20 years old now, and people tend to abuse them, so finding one that doesn't need a little work isn't too common. I got both mine as fixer uppers... fixed em up and have enjoyed them since then. I'd trust my Cobra more on a long trip (say 5 hours or more) since it has NEVER left me stranded, but I'm sure the SHO would do just as well. I'm just weary about them from everything I hear.

sb306

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I decided it wouldn't really be worth it unless I could atleast get 30-35 mpg. I ended up getting a 92 toyota paseo with 230,000 miles for $1100. I know its not great, but so far I have about 225 miles on 9 gallons of gas and still have 3\4 of a tank left. It needed halfshafts(I changed those now one side is leaking lol)front axle bearings, struts, and the ac clutch is shot. The owners before me bypassed it with a shorter belt. Im just amazed how people don't take care of their vehicles. It runs and shifts really smooth though. It passed smog easily on the day I bought it. And that was the main thing I was concerned about. The mileage might be better too because when Im going 55 it feels like im doing 80 because im so close to the ground. haha. thanks again.

Last edited:

Todd TCE

Established Member
I ended up getting a 92 toyota paseo

I'm sorry.:xpl:

Kinda partial to the SHO...:thumbsup:
Temple2006.gif

Last edited:

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Yeah... If gas was the main objective, then I guess a Paseo is cool. SHO is sort of the middle ground. Decently good on gas while still having some balls. Sure it runs high 14's, but that's enough to knock out some lightly modded 5.0's and non-pi GT's. I can't even think of anything a Paseo would be faster than. Maybe a Corolla? :sleeping:

sb306

Established Member
yea. its slow. but im expecting almost 40 mpg out of my first tank with a 16 year old car so it should be good. maintainence was also a big part of it. Sounds like the sho could be more problem as far as problems go with the engine and trans. thanks for the help.

blue92

Established Member
yea. its slow. but im expecting almost 40 mpg out of my first tank with a 16 year old car so it should be good. maintainence was also a big part of it. Sounds like the sho could be more problem as far as problems go with the engine and trans. thanks for the help.

To bad for around 22 hundred bucks you could of gotten a well maintained SHO off fordbastards. There's one guy over there with a 91 that has 369k+ miles on his and has only replaced the clutch once. If you get a MTX rarely do you have to worry about the transmissions even if the previous owner ragged it. Sounds like you'll be spending more than 22 hundred on the one you bought just to get the maintenance caught up.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
To bad for around 22 hundred bucks you could of gotten a well maintained SHO off fordbastards. There's one guy over there with a 91 that has 369k+ miles on his and has only replaced the clutch once. If you get a MTX rarely do you have to worry about the transmissions even if the previous owner ragged it. Sounds like you'll be spending more than 22 hundred on the one you bought just to get the maintenance caught up.

Rarely do you have to worry about an MTX? HA! As far as reliability goes, I'd take a 94-95 ATX over the MTX. I had a 90 in which the differential blew twice. First one was my fault, I ragged on the car pretty good. Second differential, which was supposedly reinforced, blew during normal driving. I'll never own another MTX SHO unless it's got a Quaife, which now are basically discontinued unless a big GB is rallied.

blue92

Established Member
Rarely do you have to worry about an MTX? HA! As far as reliability goes, I'd take a 94-95 ATX over the MTX. I had a 90 in which the differential blew twice. First one was my fault, I ragged on the car pretty good. Second differential, which was supposedly reinforced, blew during normal driving. I'll never own another MTX SHO unless it's got a Quaife, which now are basically discontinued unless a big GB is rallied.

I bought my 92 MTX in 2002 for a 1000 bucks it had 140k on it and the clutch was toast. I had the clutch replaced, did the 60/120k maintenance, put Bondurant Struts, springs, and TPR bushings all around. I've driven it on 10 fun runs, 4 road course track events, took it to the Memphis SHO convention, have driven it all over the state of Texas and have never had to replace a differential. It now has over 190k on it. I would say the guys I know that have had to replace a differential do a lot of drag racing in their SHOs. These cars were never meant to be drag raced from a dig. I also own a 93 ATX that I rebuilt the transmission 3 times with a cost of over 6 grand, it now is my parts car. I'll never own an other SHO ATX.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
Have a 92 White MTX SHO and love the car to death. Got it form the original owner with 68K on the clock. Has 87K now and not one problem. Great DD's IMO. I have been seeing 22-26 running 91 in mine. Last long trip on the highway I was getting 28. Like anything else all depends on how you drive it

Joe

sb306

Established Member
It looks like all together Ill spend about $1700 at the most. We have a 4runner that if I baby the hell out of it will get 22 mpg on the highway. Buying a car that only got a few mpg better wouldn't have been worth it. First tank of gas in the toyota got me a little bit over 40mpgs. That was within a week so it adds up fast. I drive so many miles to work that a 15 mpg improvement is a lot. Didn't know the yamahas would run that long. Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread