Thinking about getting into a new hellcat. Any advice for or against?

csm1320

Established Member
I have had some version of a mustang/cobra/ gt500 since 1995, I've been without one since I sold my gt500 3 years ago. I'm not sure I want to spend 80-90 k for a used 2020 up gt500 when I can get a new hellcat for less. Anyone had access to both that can give some input? I have watched enough videos, looking for some input from people here with more insight.

LS WUT

Established Member
Well that depends. What are you looking for? I’ve got a 2016 hellcat charger, and 03 cobras, and a 13 GT500 still.

I daily drive the hellcat about 60 miles a day for work. The seats are awesome, they do tend to show “wear” more than I feel they should. The interior aside from that is cheap as hell. I won’t lie. I get good gas mileage for the most part depending how I drive. I get 25.4 highway, and about 18.3 city.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Pretty broad brush. As there’s charger and challenge HCs. Then WB, redeye, jailbreak, etc etc. Then manually vs automatically. Then packages etc etc. as well as well how much your looking to spend? Gotta narrow it in a little.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The hellcat is huge and feels it.

I would describe the driving experience as "numb"

Interior is comfortable and has plenty of room.

Mod potential is OK. Easy peasy to make 850 whp with bolt ons and e85. It gets tougher past this. Poor platform if you are looking to build big power.

If you don't mod it you will get sick of getting picked on by kids in FBO coyotes. A supercharged mustang will ruin your day.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I daily drove a 2016 Hellcat Charger for 3yrs. It’s a great daily that’s comfortable and has power everywhere.
If you want a very comfortable muscle car and can get a new one at MSRP or less you’ll have a new car that’ll hold its value very well.
Everyone I gave a ride to to have the “Hellcat experience” loved it. All real car guys get it once you drive one and just enjoy it for what it is.
Good luck.
-J

LS WUT

Established Member
I daily drove a 2016 Hellcat Charger for 3yrs. It’s a great daily that’s comfortable and has power everywhere.
If you want a very comfortable muscle car and can get a new one at MSRP or less you’ll have a new car that’ll hold its value very well.
Everyone I gave a ride to to have the “Hellcat experience” loved it. All real car guys get it once you drive one and just enjoy it for what it is.
Good luck.
-J
Very well out James. I agree completely. It can be fast when you want it to be, and is a blast to drive. I do agree I was a bit worried about the theft of them.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I never had problems with my Charger but I think early on the theft issue wasn’t as big a deal but it was definitely one of the contributing factors as to why I let the Trackhawk go. If I get another SRT I’d probably just add a kill switch. Would be cool if the WB Challenger I spec’d out gets built. If not it wasn’t meant to be and I’ll look for a Redeye Charger.
-J

noco5.0

Established Member
I've owned several Hellcats both manual and auto. They are very comfortable which is the biggest plus. Downsides are build quality, Uconnect, and the fact they can be easily stolen. Im not big on car clubs or other group activities around the car hobby but the Hellcat crowd is particularly annoying from my experience.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Img_2023_03_23_13_41_57.jpeg
Img_2023_03_23_13_41_52.jpeg

I had a 1320 Scatpack. Beautiful car. Absolutely beautiful. Drove smooth and comfy. Took it from Michigan to AZ. Just outstanding. Never felt I needed Hellcat power.

That said I got bored real quick. The Auto is stupid fast and accurate, but just... Boring. Even tracking it..it was fast, 11.2? Or something like that. Run after run... Easy mode.

I'd argue there is no aftermarket for these cars. It's either a $20k+ race car build going built engine and twins or it's just a bunch of Pepboys trash.

The cars are HEAVY. They have no business being +4,300lbs, but they are. Anything done to fix that simply ruins the car. Ditch the 75lb super comfy factory seats? Cool. Spend $1000+ on uncomfortable race seats and net a 100lbs savings which is absolutely unnoticeable.

Gut the sound deadening, stereo subs and back seats? Now you're car sounds like a shit box and you saved 45lbs...drop $2k on front and rear bumper supports to save 25lbs. Lose the battery for $300 and save 20lbs... Etc.

Fully stripped, caged race Hellcats with lexin side glass still weight like 3,950lbs.

Intakes, mufflers, tunes (on N/A) do nothing.

They are great daily drivers if you can stomach the insurance premiums. But they are not "tuner" cars that you can tinker with and see noticable gains with fun easy mods. The 392's, even headers and exhausts net like 5hp with a tune. Cars are what they are.

I much prefer "tuner cars". Stuff like Foxbodies, Terminators, 240Sx, Subaru WRX, etc. Where every mod makes a meaning ful change and impact.

Spending $500 to tune a turbo car and see a 35% power increase compared to $500 for a CAI that adds... Nothing. Hell even an old junk SN95. $1k to do a NPI and Head swap and get like 50hp.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1787029View attachment 1787030

I had a 1320 Scatpack. Beautiful car. Absolutely beautiful. Drove smooth and comfy. Took it from Michigan to AZ. Just outstanding. Never felt I needed Hellcat power.

That said I got bored real quick. The Auto is stupid fast and accurate, but just... Boring. Even tracking it..it was fast, 11.2? Or something like that. Run after run... Easy mode.

I'd argue there is no aftermarket for these cars. It's either a $20k+ race car build going built engine and twins or it's just a bunch of Pepboys trash.

The cars are HEAVY. They have no business being +4,300lbs, but they are. Anything done to fix that simply ruins the car. Ditch the 75lb super comfy factory seats? Cool. Spend $1000+ on uncomfortable race seats and net a 100lbs savings which is absolutely unnoticeable.

Gut the sound deadening, stereo subs and back seats? Now you're car sounds like a shit box and you saved 45lbs...drop $2k on front and rear bumper supports to save 25lbs. Lose the battery for $300 and save 20lbs... Etc.

Fully stripped, caged race Hellcats with lexin side glass still weight like 3,950lbs.

Intakes, mufflers, tunes (on N/A) do nothing.

They are great daily drivers if you can stomach the insurance premiums. But they are not "tuner" cars that you can tinker with and see noticable gains with fun easy mods. The 392's, even headers and exhausts net like 5hp with a tune. Cars are what they are.

I much prefer "tuner cars". Stuff like Foxbodies, Terminators, 240Sx, Subaru WRX, etc. Where every mod makes a meaning ful change and impact.

Spending $500 to tune a turbo car and see a 35% power increase compared to $500 for a CAI that adds... Nothing. Hell even an old junk SN95. $1k to do a NPI and Head swap and get like 50hp.

Personally I think your 1320 is much cooler than a hellcat.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Corbic makes a point of boring and heavy but to me that’s why you go Hellcat and understand it’s a comfortable street/highway machine. And the boring point is hard to wrap my head around when you’re a few simple mods from 900hp and 10.0s and still 200hp top end from the chassis and A8 with 2.62 gearing.
As one of a few guys who did 3/36k in Hellcat from drag radials to snow tires and back it’s an awesome street machine. Same overall MPG as my Ram and better than my ML63s in my daily commute. Sign me up again. Too bad that $599 down $599/mo. Lease deal is gone :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread