Thinking of doing a kenne bell on my 97

CrawCobra97

Established Member
I've got a 97 cobra, I am trying to figure out what supercharger I should go with.. From my own research it seems vortech is the way to go but it's expensive for a new kit and used ones are hard to find plus don't know how I feel about buying one used...so I'm thinking about doing a kenne bell but, would 9 psi put into the 400s of rwhp? And I was thinking of just buying the 2.1 kit straight from kenne bell I want to know if there is enough power to gain from the kenne bells I want 400 at least to the wheels, I know that our cars can o my handle 450 so I don't want to push it...

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I'm using a 1.5 10 psi 450rwhp use water meth 625ml nozzle pre throttle body.... Try and find used kit usually around 2k Bucks verses 3500 new get 42 lb injectors 255lph fuel pump or a kennebell bap and use a rai with open element filter

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Wow those are good numbers but not sure if I want to put the stock internals to that much of a test!, this is also one of my first high performance cars so I figured to make it easy I would just get the kit, and start off with that there website says you could make 400 rwhp. Which is pushing limits already of the internals, idk how I would feel of buying a used one since I'm not so inclined with them yet aswell. Would it be safe for me to run the kit at 9 psi without meth?

Demonio

Established Member
If the kit is intercooled 9 psi be fine 6 psi for a non on stock motor. 11 psi is on the top of the engine life but as long as u have a good tuner you will be fine

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Could a water/meth injection take place of the intercooler? to help keep them cool and what I will probably do is start of with just 7 psi, and work my way up and get supporting mods as I go. And il up the boost when I have them all lol

CrawCobra97

Established Member
My plan is that I'm going try and pull out a decent personal Loan to buy most of the pets up front, I was already considering selling my car and moving up in Cobras, so I'm still spending less money then i was going to for a newer cobra

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Yes the water meth becomes the intercooler 7-8 psi is safe on stock bottom end when or if u forge it 9+ is ideal I'm at 10 but maxed out with the 1.5l so going to spray nitrous with it.....this becoming another intercooler so basically for example a 75 shot becomes 100-125 because of the cooling effect

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Cool!! So to start of just get the 2.1l kit run it at 7 psi, shortly after il order the meth injection kit,push the boost to about 8, right now I'm just looking for about 400 rwhp, then il forge it if I want more power and go from there

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Sorry for all the questions kinda of a noob. I'm pretty mechanically inclined just haven't messed with forced induction, and just want to make sure it's what I want and will get me to where I want for now safely. Thanks for all the info

CrawCobra97

Established Member
One more question while I'm bugging you all would a tune cancel out thier fmu I have read that it is not that good

dougward1960

Established Member
no a tune wont cancel out the fmu. if you put bigger injectors in it then you can trash the fmu. the fmu makes your stock 24lb injectors act like bigger injectors by cutting off the return fuel line back to the tank only while under boost. ive been running my kenne bell for 11 years with the fmu on my 97 cobra still running the stock kenne bell tune but finally this year or in the spring im throwing a bunch of new parts at it as its time even though it runs great i want more power so its going to go or blow

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Ohh okay I see now, now I've also heard you need a maf is that only for vortech setups? Or will I need one along with kenne bell aswell the website doesn't say you do with the kit

CrawCobra97

Established Member
The kit I'm looking at comes with a bap, so I should be good on the fuel pump, now would I be good just to start of with the fmu, until I up the boost to like 9

CrawCobra97

Established Member
That makes sense so really what I should do is order the kit which comes with a bap, and the fmu but order injectors and a meth kit along with it

Users who are viewing this thread