Thinking of getting new bike. . . tips?

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
Pretty much am a beginning rider . . . I am interested in something like a 600 sport bike. I have a local friend that has a 98 gixxer 600 that he htought might be a nice start. What do you guys think i should do in order to become a good rider? arent there courses you can take, and if so what are they called? Any recommendations on bike (yr, mileage, model, etc)? How hard is it to get used to a bike?

thanks!

:thumbsup:

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
Make sure you give into peer pressure, get a 1Litre bike and do stunts with it while not wearing a helmet.

Take a rider course, and if you want look for 250 or 500 to start on :-D

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
:shrug:
02sumlrb_dragongold01_zoom_lolow.jpg

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
03Sssnake said:
I'll 2nd the MSF course.... a used SV650 or older 600s would be good starter bikes.

Say a 98-99 gixxer 600? I was thinking of spending about $3.5-4k and that seems to be in the price range. Are they ok to start out on? I will be VERY CAREFUL the first couple times i ride. . . probably be in neighborhoods, etc. Nothing in heavy traffic, or at nite for that matter.

:poke:

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I started on a 2000 katana 600 and it was a great starter bike imo. Enough power to go fiarly fast but not to much that you over extend your riding ability. TAKE A RIDING COURSE it can only help you know matter how long you have been riding. Talk to your local suz,kaw,yam ect. about info. on any MSF courses in you area. You can also go to http://www.msf-usa.org/ and find out more info. Hope this helps and good luck.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Katana's good, SV650's good to start on. If you have nearly no miles, start with one o dem, or maybe a Ninja 250 or 500.

When your ready to move up this time next year, ill sell you my F4i, and ill buy a new liter bike :)

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
I have a friend with a 2000 Honda f4 600cc bike. Has 5500 miles and wants $4500 for it. . . i kinda wanted a gixxer 600 though. . . what are some thoughts on my friends bike?

~redlinels1~

I'm not a spammer!
Established Member
This may sound weird, but sit on your friends bike for a solid 30 minutes and take it for a ride. If you find the bike comfortable then keep it mind...Just dont buy the 1st bike you come across. Look around, research the bike(s), etc etc. Personally, I dont like CBR's. I find them very uncomfortable and the bikes i rode (f4i, and cbr 900rr) seemed sloppy. Maybe that was just because the bikes didnt fit me?

As for me...I started on a 97 yzf600r. Wasnt the sexiest bike on the road (still looks good though) but the bike was VERY comfortable and easy to control.

Remember to wear gear at all times and make sure to take an MSF course. Its the best $ you'll ever spend for a bike.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
It all depends on you if you only get liability and you wreck it your screwed but if the bike is really cheap then liability may be a good decision. I personally have full coverage on everything that i have paid off or not.

Users who are viewing this thread