Thinking of switching to turbo setup

Marvin9075

Established Member
Keep in mind just because it’s a hellion kit for 10k doesn’t mean it’s the best. I’ve seen hellion need work and stuff not line up. Yes with hellion you get better turbos but I would put my kit up against any hellion kit any day.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I am down here in Texas and have had some work done on the car at HPP racing and spoke with the owner manny about going with twins and he had nothing but good things to say about the on3 twin kits.

MG0h3

Established Member
On3 has come a long way, but they were knock off Chinese SS garbage back in the day.

Personally, I’d get a CG FAB hot/cold and piece the rest together.

I had a single 70mm on my fox where I did that with BG headers but fab’d the cold side.

Other than the initial work, only downside of turbo to me was header leaks. Shouldn’t be an issue with a good header like CG.

A turbo car is not going to “hit” like a blower car when you stab it on the freeway. It’ll be quicker with less HP, and have more HP with the same boost.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
A n2mb wot box really changes the way a turbo car drives. Proper sized twins will get you the torque hit you will miss form a blower. twins with a wot box will be a ton of fun. I've debated to go to twins instead of my 76mm turbo but I'll go to a 74mm next and see how it is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
A n2mb wot box really changes the way a turbo car drives. Proper sized twins will get you the torque hit you will miss form a blower. twins with a wot box will be a ton of fun. I've debated to go to twins instead of my 76mm turbo but I'll go to a 74mm next and see how it is.

Yeah I definitely want the twin set up … just trying to see if I can make the swap on my own on some jack stands in the garage… only problem is I have no fabricating experience if I run into some problems

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
Yeah I definitely want the twin set up … just trying to see if I can make the swap on my own on some jack stands in the garage… only problem is I have no fabricating experience if I run into some problems
I built mine on jackstands in my driveway haha, if you were closer to me I'd fab what you needed. I'm out in Cali though.

MG0h3

Established Member

I have not seen reports of people having to modify CG Fab kits if you use the K member and engine mounts they require.

I have seen reports of modifications required on both On3 and hellion.

If I ever go turbo again, I’m going directly to CG . Pretty sure you can source everything you need directly from them.

Raceparts solutions was a great source for misc clamps and equipment back in the day but again, I think CG can provide everything.

If the cold side doesn’t have a lip for the clamp to bite on at silicone hose connections, you can run into blowing hoses off. I welded a couple small beads on my cold side to solve that. Only real need for a welder that I could see. Just ask if their cold side has a rolled lip. Could easily take them somewhere and have what I mentioned done.

MG0h3

Established Member
Oh and a lot of times a single is easier and cheaper and not much of a power/performance diff

Marvin9075

Established Member
Oh and a lot of times a single is easier and cheaper and not much of a power/performance diff

I am not super educated on turbo set ups but my understanding was twins typically spool quicker with less lag … but I am sure with a properly sized single I can do the same

Mystic03

Established Member
I am not super educated on turbo set ups but my understanding was twins typically spool quicker with less lag … but I am sure with a properly sized single I can do the same
im in this situation as im switching to twins due to 7675 hits so hard but also has a bit of a lag despite it being DBB billet wheel

going a set of comp turbo 68/65s triple x bearing billet housings so well see if i piss in the wind or im happy with it lol

MG0h3

Established Member

Most twins for our cars are low mounts. You have to run a scavenge pump to get the oil back to the pan with these.

One thing that hurts us on turbo spool is the low compression from the factory.

Hopefully someone with experience with both will chime in but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen lots of complaints about lag. You’d hear about it back in the late 90s/early 2000s when people first started making aftermarket kits.

I recall seeing one guy on here ripping a turbo kit off his car to go back to blower. Said he couldn’t stand it.

I wouldn’t even call my single turbo Fox laggy and I did that back in like 05’.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Here is a little known fact. Engine compression ratio has nothing to do with turbo spool, it's a long perpetuated myth not based on fact.

Turbos do not hit anything like a supercharged car, way different powerband. I am a huge proponent of turbo systems, but they are not for everyone. They are really for people who want to win races, not for the average guy who just drives to car shows and back home. I would advise against it unless you are 100% committed to the time and money it takes to do one right and not going to sell your half finished car if things don't go your way. Also for track, it takes some work to get the turbos to spool off the line with a stick. That will be a huge difference from a supercharged car. My suggestion is to ditch the t56 and go auto. That was one of the best things I ever did.

As for single vs twins, it's really just preference and availability of kits. I have an old THP kit that puts the turbos in the engine bay, but it has been modified quite a bit since the early days when it first went on. The flanges have been changed to t4's and the entire cold side/intercooler system has been changed. Singles are generally cheaper and simpler though.

Hiding the turbos in the bumper has never been something I've liked personally. If I was going to buy any On3 kit, it would be the one that puts the turbos in the engine bay, their top mount kit.

As for the OP, you have a 3.0 Whipple car that has A LOT more potential in it with the right selection of parts and running more boost. Allen Garrett just made 1100+ whp with his 3.0 Whipple car and it goes 8's. I would model my combo after his and max your combo out before you decide to switch to a turbo setup.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Here is a little known fact. Engine compression ratio has nothing to do with turbo spool, it's a long perpetuated myth not based on fact.

Turbos do not hit anything like a supercharged car, way different powerband. I am a huge proponent of turbo systems, but they are not for everyone. They are really for people who want to win races, not for the average guy who just drives to car shows and back home. I would advise against it unless you are 100% committed to the time and money it takes to do one right and not going to sell your half finished car if things don't go your way. Also for track, it takes some work to get the turbos to spool off the line with a stick. That will be a huge difference from a supercharged car. My suggestion is to ditch the t56 and go auto. That was one of the best things I ever did.

As for single vs twins, it's really just preference and availability of kits. I have an old THP kit that puts the turbos in the engine bay, but it has been modified quite a bit since the early days when it first went on. The flanges have been changed to t4's and the entire cold side/intercooler system has been changed. Singles are generally cheaper and simpler though.

Hiding the turbos in the bumper has never been something I've liked personally. If I was going to buy any On3 kit, it would be the one that puts the turbos in the engine bay, their top mount kit.

As for the OP, you have a 3.0 Whipple car that has A LOT more potential in it with the right selection of parts and running more boost. Allen Garrett just made 1100+ whp with his 3.0 Whipple car and it goes 8's. I would model my combo after his and max your combo out before you decide to switch to a turbo setup.

I stand corrected on the spooling/compression theory.

I have noticed a lot of videos of 4.6 cars seem a little doggy until 4K plus and then just come alive.

Maybe the compression just gives you more off boost power which appears as better spool.

What’s your thoughts on single vs twin in regards to what OP is concerned about.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I stand corrected on the spooling/compression theory.

I have noticed a lot of videos of 4.6 cars seem a little doggy until 4K plus and then just come alive.

Maybe the compression just gives you more off boost power which appears as better spool.

What’s your thoughts on single vs twin in regards to what OP is concerned about.

If you're talking about street pulls, much of that can be mitigated by brake boosting.

Without getting overly aggressive, I could see over 10#'s. When you combined this with the proper gear/rpm's, and a properly sized turbo/turbos, it will hit almost like a nitrous car. Of course, this necessitates a tire and suspension that is capable.

I'm sure more boost could be achieved this way, but 10-14#'s always seemed to work well for me.

Marvin9075

Established Member

I know this 3.0 has much more to give I just want to know if I should should shoot for the stars with it or swap to turbo … from what your saying it sounds like the whipple is my best bet for what I am doing with the car… guess the better question is what the best suspension mods to get this thing to hook better … I run Hoosier drag radials and car has FTBR bushings and sub frame connectors

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I know this 3.0 has much more to give I just want to know if I should should shoot for the stars with it or swap to turbo … from what your saying it sounds like the whipple is my best bet for what I am doing with the car… guess the better question is what the best suspension mods to get this thing to hook better … I run Hoosier drag radials and car has FTBR bushings and sub frame connectors

That’s basically what I have and it’s a struggle in 2nd at 20 psi and E85.

I didn’t want to go full drag suspension so I grabbed some used stock coupe springs to throw in there along with some Viking DA shocks.

Guy I follow on FB cracks off some impressive times with that setup.

On the fence about getting a drag wheel setup.

Marvin9075

Established Member
That’s basically what I have and it’s a struggle in 2nd at 20 psi and E85.

I didn’t want to go full drag suspension so I grabbed some used stock coupe springs to throw in there along with some Viking DA shocks.

Guy I follow on FB cracks off some impressive times with that setup.

On the fence about getting a drag wheel setup.

Yeah scone gear is completely useless unless I ease into it with the tires warm … 3rd hooks but I worry if it jumps anymore in power it won’t anymore.

fairlady2jz

Established Member
To start out im a big turbo fan, love them. This is my reality i own a cobra with a 2.3 vmp and a fox body coupe with a teskid turbo. IMO the blower setup is much simpler and better packaged and the turbo setup is more complex and hotter with big power potential. They both have there goods and bads. But to me if your car is mainly a street car i would stick to blower, you wont have to deal with as much heat issues and crowding the engine bay. I don't mind my fox body being turbo because i don't run any accessories so the engine bay has space but if you keep ac and all of it, itcan get really crowded. The actual reason i have a fox body turbo was because i wanted a modular turbo but didn't wanna do it to my cobra lol.

Now if you decide to turbo your cobra, don't go cheap you'll regret it. My buddy with an s550 purchased a single turbo kit from on3 and he had to spend extra money on fitting things properly and upgrading some components, so at the end of the day he spent the same thing and did double the work. Spend the proper money for a good quality kit specially if its something you plan on driving frequently. CG fabrication in my opinion does nice kits at a fair price, I own two hot sides and hopefully soon a third when i do my coyote 10r80 swap into my other fox. Plus when you buy cheap stuff it gives you trouble which leads into more downtime and you then start to hate the car. There is no better feeling then knowing that at any time you can go start your car up and take it for some rips without worrying about anything.

Good luck on your decision

Users who are viewing this thread