Thinking of trunk mount IC res

keith89

Established Member
finding the right place to mount is the hardest part; I used a double ended NPT I found at HD, One end fits in the tank, the other directly in the pump.. it worked out really well. I may need more support for the pump; just haven´t gotten around to working on it yet. Iĺl send a few pics tomorrow. My camera battery is dead right now.

I'm thinking since my stocker is flowing decently in the stock location even with the in take rule not running, I might pick up a jabsco or similar pump and mount it up in the stock location. It'll cut down on the noise that comes from the trunk as well. Although it'll add a little weight to the front of the car.

keith89

Established Member
Rob from Chiseled is making me a new 3 gallon tank so i can fit the jabsco pump in the spare tire well too. If anyone is looking for a tank, i'll be selling my 17x17x5 tank once i swap it out. There is no pump in it.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Rob from Chiseled is making me a new 3 gallon tank so i can fit the jabsco pump in the spare tire well too. If anyone is looking for a tank, i'll be selling my 17x17x5 tank once i swap it out. There is no pump in it.

My Rule 850 is still going strong in conjunction with the stocker in the stock location.
One of VMPs customer has a Jabsco pump on his car with the stock tank.
It flows extremely well. It almost seems to fast but with a trunk tank is should do well with the volume of water and distances it has to travel.

keith89

Established Member
My Rule 850 is still going strong in conjunction with the stocker in the stock location.
One of VMPs customer has a Jabsco pump on his car with the stock tank.
It flows extremely well. It almost seems to fast but with a trunk tank is should do well with the volume of water and distances it has to travel.

The Rule 850 is an in-tank pump like the 1100 right? interesting that the 850 is lasting longer than the 1100's. I was going to buy a new 1100 on amazon but looked at the reviews. Seems they're not reliable like the other Rule pumps.

I found it pretty cool that the company my brother works for, ITT owns the Jabsco brand. They own Koni shock absorbers too. They recently split though. My brother works in the defense sector. Guess the investors didn't want to be attached to it even though it brought in most of the money.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
The Rule 850 is an in-tank pump like the 1100 right? interesting that the 850 is lasting longer than the 1100's. I was going to buy a new 1100 on amazon but looked at the reviews. Seems they're not reliable like the other Rule pumps.

I found it pretty cool that the company my brother works for, ITT owns the Jabsco brand. They own Koni shock absorbers too. They recently split though. My brother works in the defense sector. Guess the investors didn't want to be attached to it even though it brought in most of the money.

Correct. The Rule 850 is an in tank pump.
I would have gone with the 1100 but it wouldn't fit in my home made tank.
Maybe that was a good thing?

Maybe your brother can get a great deal the the Jabsco pump?

keith89

Established Member
Heres a picture I just took of the tank, I painted it black, it looks a lot cleaner to me. And the jabsco pump directly attached. I´ll finish this up by mounting a support bracket under it. The tank also has rubber between the 4 mount points.
I added some clear 3/4 tube on the in and out sides,and a cover handle.

P1010345.jpg

Just finished my install last night with a new chiseled tank. Just wondering, how much noise does your Jabsco pump make? Mine makes a buzzing noise. It's not super loud but I just want to make sure the sound is normal in case something is stuck in there.

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
Hey, that tank looks familiar! .... Oh yeah, itś mine! take a picture so we can see what yours looks like. I would suggest a section of clear tube so you can see the flow in and out. you want to have fluid on that pump all the time. Did you notice a big increase in flow?
The pump does make a little buzzing noise,but I dont have it mounted to the deck, so I think mine may not be as loud..The fuel pumps drown out the sound of the Jabsco pump

keith89

Established Member
Hey, that tank looks familiar! .... Oh yeah, itś mine! take a picture so we can see what yours looks like. I would suggest a section of clear tube so you can see the flow in and out. you want to have fluid on that pump all the time. Did you notice a big increase in flow?
The pump does make a little buzzing noise,but I dont have it mounted to the deck, so I think mine may not be as loud..The fuel pumps drown out the sound of the Jabsco pump

Yeah my external pumps drown it out. I was just curious as to what kind of noise it should make. I had my fill lid offset so that the return flow can be seen through the clear lid. I will take a picture tonight or Friday. I'm trying to decide what to do with the trunk carpet. Cut it or sell it and make a new trunk floor. I like the handle on the lid because it makes it easier to open the cap but it sticks up too high for the carpet to sit flush.

Correct. The Rule 850 is an in tank pump.
I would have gone with the 1100 but it wouldn't fit in my home made tank.
Maybe that was a good thing?

Maybe your brother can get a great deal the the Jabsco pump?

Unfortunately he is in the defense division so when ITT split he didn't get to keep the discount for the flow control division.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I read all nine pages but what is the verdict?? Is the trunk mount tank better than battery mount box?? If the trunk mount is best choice do I want 1) in tank pump? 2) If yes, which model? 3) If no, again which model? Are people running with in conjunction with the factory pump?

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
i read all nine pages but what is the verdict?? Is the trunk mount tank better than battery mount box?? If the trunk mount is best choice do i want 1) in tank pump? 2) if yes, which model? 3) if no, again which model? Are people running with in conjunction with the factory pump?

x2

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I read all nine pages but what is the verdict?? Is the trunk mount tank better than battery mount box?? If the trunk mount is best choice do I want 1) in tank pump? 2) If yes, which model? 3) If no, again which model? Are people running with in conjunction with the factory pump?

You want to use an external pump like the jabsco or Meizer pump. The intank rule pumps have been known to fail. Some get lucky but alot has had failures.

As far as a trunk mounted tank may I ask why your looking for one. Are you planning on racing at the track alot? If your not and just want cooler I/C temps get a KC.

On another note engine bay reservoirs will absorb engine bay temps and a K/C in conjunction with a trunk mount properly insulated could work better.

Check out my thread. I will be going with a K/C in the future and have started to insulate everything. Should help alot when I get my K/C.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/854193-my-intercooler-lines-pump-upgrades.html

keith89

Established Member
You want to use an external pump like the jabsco or Meizer pump. The intank rule pumps have been known to fail. Some get lucky but alot has had failures.

As far as a trunk mounted tank may I ask why your looking for one. Are you planning on racing at the track alot? If your not and just want cooler I/C temps get a KC.

On another note engine bay reservoirs will absorb engine bay temps and a K/C in conjunction with a trunk mount properly insulated could work better.

Check out my thread. I will be going with a K/C in the future and have started to insulate everything. Should help alot when I get my K/C.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/854193-my-intercooler-lines-pump-upgrades.html

+1. i have a custom 3 gallon tank in the trunk with a jabsco pump. I originally had a 6 gallon tank with the rule in tank pump. It didn't flow much and didn't last long. As SVT troy noted, the trunk mounted tank prevents engine heat from baking the intercooler reservoir. Also, a gallon of water weighs about 8.3lbs...moving a few gallons to the trunk couldn't hurt.

Also, on price. It cost about the same to do the trunk mounted setup as it would if i were to buy a new meziere IC pump up front and the cost of an intercooler tank(i sold my true forged tank). From there, it was just my own labor, so I about broke even on price.

It really depends on what you want to do with your car.

gamebred26

Established Member
i just went through the hassle of mounting the meziere pump in the stock location..and now want to get a chisseled 5 gallon trunk tank. can i leave the pump where its at up front? is there a any benefit to moving it in the trunk closer to the tank?

its a closed line system why would the pump work harder by being up front? it has to push/pull the water from the intercooler...heat exhcanger and tank regardless of where its located no?

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
My setup. Looks dirty in pictures, I cleaned it up and carpeted it since.

RCI Tank (I think it used to be a fuel cell?? Not sure got it when bought the car)
Meziere electric pump with key on switch
New bigger lines and pushlock fittings

296514_279741325472168_355800635_n.jpg

keith89

Established Member
i just went through the hassle of mounting the meziere pump in the stock location..and now want to get a chisseled 5 gallon trunk tank. can i leave the pump where its at up front? is there a any benefit to moving it in the trunk closer to the tank?

its a closed line system why would the pump work harder by being up front? it has to push/pull the water from the intercooler...heat exhcanger and tank regardless of where its located no?

you would think that since it is a close system it would work. I thought the same, but it does help to have the pump as close to the tank and lower.
The extra length of feed hose from the tank to the front mounted pump will create suction losses and will not work as efficiently.

gamebred26

Established Member
you would think that since it is a close system it would work. I thought the same, but it does help to have the pump as close to the tank and lower.
The extra length of feed hose from the tank to the front mounted pump will create suction losses and will not work as efficiently.

yea i researched it more. and from what i gathered is the pumps like to push the water from the source not pull it from further away. pump has to be moved.

gamebred26

Established Member
i just put my chiseled tank in and notice the pressure that builds up is pretty bad. caused the lid to leak i little. so i rtved the shit out of it now you can really tell its pressurized.

what are you guys doing to release the pressure?

anyone put a release valve in there lid or drill a small hole?

Users who are viewing this thread