This guy backs his cops!!!

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
You would never see this in NYC...The cop would have to get cleared by a grand jury,be put on modified and go through hell!!!Now this is a boss that backs you up..

One dead in shooting at Treasure Coast Square Mall in Jensen Beach
By Derek Simmonsen (Contact), Zach Smith
Originally published 06:26 p.m., June 1, 2008
Updated 09:02 p.m., June 1, 2008

JENSEN BEACH — A Martin County sheriff’s deputy shot and killed a man Sunday evening after being attacked following a traffic stop at the Treasure Coast Square Mall, according to Sheriff Robert Crowder.

The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m., about a half hour before the mall closed, in the parking lot in front of Sears and across from a Kohl’s department store. The identity of the dead man was not released Sunday, but his body lay under a white sheet for several hours as a large group of bystanders stood behind crime scene tape wondering what had happened.

It began when Deputy Jason Howard pulled over a four-door white Ford 150, carrying what appeared to be underage people, that had been driving erratically, Crowder said. Howard suspected the driver was intoxicated and called for a backup unit that could perform a detailed sobriety test.

Two passengers in the truck were interfering with his ability to talk to the driver and Howard walked over to the passenger side of the truck, Crowder said. At that point, all three young men got out and “jumped” the deputy, kicking him in the head and face, he said.

In an attempt to defend himself, Howard fired his gun, shooting and killing one of the men, believed to be the driver, Crowder said. It was not clear how many times the man was shot or where his injuries were.

At least two of the three young men landed blows on Howard and he was taken to Martin Memorial Medical Center for treatment. Howard was not shot.

The other two young men were arrested, but the charges and their identities were not immediately released. One of them was seen hugging the body of the dead man in the parking lot, leaving his white shirt stained with blood.

Crowder, who appeared at the crime scene, said based on what he knew of the incident, he fully supported Howard.

“I think the deputy would’ve been justified to shoot all three,” Crowder said. “If this had to happen so a deputy can go home safe at the end of the day, so be it.”

Howard has been with the agency for only a couple of years and is in his 20s, Crowder said. He will be on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation. There was no camera in his vehicle that might have recorded the incident, Crowder said.

“I will back 100 percent any of my deputies who have to defend themselves in a situation like this,” Crowder said. “Everything I’ve heard so far makes it justified.”

Crowder was uncertain if the three involved were adults or juveniles. Investigators suspect they might have been gang members based on tattoos. Crowder said he didn’t know if they had weapons.

The incident unnerved shoppers, many who didn’t see the altercation, but heard the gunshots. One woman said she thought it sounded like firecrackers.

Jeffrey Chaney, who was in the parking lot with his son when he heard the noise, said, “I’ve heard gunshots before¥...¥I just told him get in the back and lay down.”

Sean Matt, 11, had come to the mall with his father planning to go to an electronics store. After visiting the store, they decided to go to a video game store outside the mall when they came upon the aftermath of the shooting.

“Oh my gosh, is that guy OK?” Sean recalled thinking.

His father ran to the deputy with a first aid kit in order to help him, but the man lying on the ground was clearly dead.

"I think the deputy would've been justified to shoot all three," Crowder said. "If this had to happen so a deputy can go home safe at the end of the day, so be it."

I will back 100 percent any of my deputies who have to defend themselves in a situation like this," Crowder said. "Everything I've heard so far makes it justified."

And the best statement by Sherrif Crowder I saw on the news last night
"If anyone assaults any of my officers,be prepared to die" Now thats a classic!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread