This or that?

Joey8

Established Member
Okay, so I'm very close to pulling the trigger on buying some sort of power-adder but I keep switching my mind weekly. Here are the options what do you think I should do. Money of course is a factor but I'm going to do it once and do it right.

1) Kenne Bell 2.8LC blower with a MMR built short block. I figure i could get the Kenne Bell tuner kit for 6,500 + ID1000s and BAP. 8k but ~3,500 for a built short block would bring me right around 10k.

OR

2) The armaggddon/kooks TT kit without a built motor because that just isn't in the budget. I would go with the Lund TT kit however, I got on the Top 20 mailing list and haven't heard any updates since they got their cast manifolds on lunds ride. Suppose to be coming out mid July. I will eventually built the short block but with the money i would shell out for the TT kit it would have to be down the road.

With the TT kit i would keep it to about 600rwhp. With the built motor and Kenne Bell i would go balls to the wall and shoot for 800-850 which i think is easily achieveable with the 2.8 blower. I love the VMP kit but does it have 800 wheel in it without spinning it to high holy hell? I have american racing headers with an off-road H which may help with the HP some but still think 800 for the 2.3 is asking for a bit much.

So which is it?

Joey8

Established Member
are you doing the work yourself , if not gotta think about labor costs too

Good point. No I won't be doing the work myself. I always been going to this one guy by me who does all the work on my car. I know the turbo install will be a lot more in depth as well.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Your looking at 3 grand or more for labor, plus a fuel system, suspension, transmission upgrades, and other misc. upgrades. Really to go balls out your gonna need 20k min. and still that might not cut it with labor cost.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
A supercharger istallation will be more simple. Then, you'll have a built motor also. Down the road when funds allow, you could always sell the supercharger and buy a TT kit.

Fun factor for street driving. You won't beat a Positive Displacement Blower. And with these cars, you'll make plently of power.

hitmix300

Established Member
Do a blower man... You already have long tubes, use em.

If you go balls to the wall the bap might not cut it. Still a fuel system to suffice your needs will still be significantly cheaper than TT.

Joey8

Established Member
Your looking at 3 grand or more for labor, plus a fuel system, suspension, transmission upgrades, and other misc. upgrades. Really to go balls out your gonna need 20k min. and still that might not cut it with labor cost.

I have suspension upgrades. For a fuel system I'd think I'd be fine with id1000s and a bap (about 1200).

I didn't think labor would be that much at 3k. The guy charges 95 an hour that would mean 31.5 hours of labor. Seems like a long time for a professional to install a tt kit?

A supercharger istallation will be more simple. Then, you'll have a built motor also. Down the road when funds allow, you could always sell the supercharger and buy a TT kit.

Fun factor for street driving. You won't beat a Positive Displacement Blower. And with these cars, you'll make plently of power.

Agreed. I also think it will be less of a headache with tuning, reliability, etc

'14 Shelby

Established Member
where about in NJ are you sir? I'd be happy to meet up and go for a spin if you'd like to see what a PD blower feels like.
Cost wise, with all my mods i'm about $20k deep. The blower install was $1400 for me

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I have suspension upgrades. For a fuel system I'd think I'd be fine with id1000s and a bap (about 1200).

I didn't think labor would be that much at 3k. The guy charges 95 an hour that would mean 31.5 hours of labor. Seems like a long time for a professional to install a tt kit?

Agreed. I also think it will be less of a headache with tuning, reliability, etc

Youre going to run out of fuel you need a fuel system. Seen too many stock pumps fail including mine. Your crazy not to have one going for that much power.

Onelfastlride

Established Member

I have a turbo 03' Cobra, a Vortech 88' Saleen, and now a ProCharged 12' GT. With the Cobra, you name it, it's had it. The KB vs a single turbo, tuning wasn't bad, it's just all the supporting parts and pieces to buy, fit, and maintain. The KB though, hands down, was more street friendly, made power earlier and that made it more fun for a short blast.

Joey8

Established Member
I appreciate all the recommendations. I think I WANT to go tt just because you don't see many of them but I feel like the smarter more reliable thing to do would be to go KB blower. I know I'll be happy with either it's just how much I am. Willing to spend and how in depth I want to go.

where about in NJ are you sir? I'd be happy to meet up and go for a spin if you'd like to see what a PD blower feels like.
Cost wise, with all my mods i'm about $20k deep. The blower install was $1400 for me

I'm in northern NJ. North caldwell, about 10 minutes away from the Willowbrook mall.

Next question VMP tvs or kenne bell 2.8 LC for a goal of 850 ish rwhp (built short block and supporting fuel of course)

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member

A shop will charge about $1500 on a turbo install and at least another $1500 on the sb swap, then $600-$700 on dyno tuning. And please don't invest all that money without a fuel system because that will be a bunch of money flushed down the drain.

So adding a fuel system to the mix with install will run another 2k......so that's already $5500-$6000 not counting the supercharger/built sb. Like I said building a car isn't cheap and you better have deep pockets if your paying someone to build it for you.

Joey8

Established Member
A shop will charge about $1500 on a turbo install and at least another $1500 on the sb swap, then $600-$700 on dyno tuning. And please don't invest all that money without a fuel system because that will be a bunch of money flushed down the drain.

So adding a fuel system to the mix with install will run another 2k......so that's already $5500-$6000 not counting the supercharger/built sb. Like I said building a car isn't cheap and you better have deep pockets if your paying someone to build it for you.

I gotcha man. If I go tt I wouldn't build the sb because of money. I also wouldn't turn it up passed like 6-8 psi or 600rwhp whichever comes first. So I don't think I would need a totally new fuel system at that power level. Thanks though for letting me know.

This decision is so difficult haha.

OG_

Established Member
You can have a paxton w/ tq booster, a proper fuel setup, install & tune making well over 600 for around the same price that TT kit will run you alone. Just something to consider. :)

Last edited:

lovebread

Established Member
Or a Paxton without torque booster (ID1K, BAP, Vortech intake) + all your mods and make 700+ on 91 and AED's special sauce.

1TpeGv3.jpg

Do the work yourself and you have 300+hp for under 5500 bux including tuning.

OG_

Established Member
Or a Paxton without torque booster (ID1K, BAP, Vortech intake) + all your mods and make 700+ on 91 and AED's special sauce.

Do the work yourself and you have 300+hp for under 5500 bux including tuning.

All of that for under $5500? I think you're being a little unrealistic.

Joey8

Established Member
I don't really want a vortech or Paxton. Yes they perform and yes they put down power but you really need to wind it out to make peak boost. I love the instant power and torque of the tvs or kenne bell.

Users who are viewing this thread