Thoughts? 07 GT500 vs stage 2 STi

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Im pretty sure im about to run my buddies stage 2 STi and possibly another awd car from a dig soon, like tomorrow. The STi should make like 300-330 awhp, he went 12.89 @ 107 on a warm day. The GT500 im driving is making 520 rwhp with 2.6 pulley, cai, and mufflers. The GT500 is on stock tires too. I know the cars will want to dig, and im guessing well try a 0-120. My question is what might happen? The GT500 is a ton faster from a roll, but it will break the tires lose from 60 on a cool night...Plus it weighs 3900 pounds. I will try to get videos if it happens, I have only driven the car a few times and its not mine, so im hoping ill go around the awd cars before 120.

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Since you are not experienced driving the GT 500 I think AWD will win this one. That being said my car went 11.4 with 540 whp and 305 DRs.

Last edited:

Sil80sx

Established Member
Since you are not experienced driving the GT 500 I think AWD will win this one. That being said my car went 11.4 with 540 whp and 305 DRs.

I think its fair to say that if you werent on those 305 DRs you go about 12.4 with 540whp on stock street tires? So 12.8 vs 12.4 would be a good drivers race from a dig.

Zeke0123

Established Member
don't go WOT until 1/2 through second...understand that they are going to rape you out of the hole.. but if you mash it and go up in smoke you have no shot.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
don't go WOT until 1/2 through second...understand that they are going to rape you out of the hole.. but if you mash it and go up in smoke you have no shot.

This is my theory, hopefully 1/2 throttle first, 1/2 throttle till 40ish then climb into it. I ran him before he was stage 2 in my Mach, he killed me till mid way through 2nd, and by 3rd we were even. Ill just try not to panik at him jumping, and lay into it slowly.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
the stock tires are your crutch. They're hard as a rock

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I think its fair to say that if you werent on those 305 DRs you go about 12.4 with 540whp on stock street tires? So 12.8 vs 12.4 would be a good drivers race from a dig.

2010 Shelby with 540 crank ran 11.95 and 12.0X so I think 540whp street tire could do better than 12.4 with a good driver. But this is a driver's race because not everyone can put the torque to the ground in a GT 500. It pretty easy to put the power of an AWD tubo car to the ground. [I have one also] So the faster car may lose this one.

Last edited:

mylilpony71

Established Member
u got this just dont try to get all the way into at first of course hes gonig to jump u out of the hole but remember 60+ hes ur bitch

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
ouch! Well we ran tonight. The results werent as I expected. Ill try to have vids up by tomorrow.
0-120
GT500<STi
GT500<STi
40 roll
GT500>STi

Both digs were no fun, on the first one it was ok in 1st, but I hit 2nd and spun them over a good bit. By the time I hit 2nd, the STi had an easy 3 cars. Then he got way ahead. Finally I caught him and flew by around 135. The second dig wasnt any prettier, I had a bad launch and was spinning a bit, it half hooked and I gave it some more, by now the STi has several cars on me, I short shift 2nd so bad it barely chirps them, but its better than spinning. Finally I pull him and hard, I dont go around him till around 140 though :( The 40 roll as expected the Shelby pulled pretty good. It was close at first, the STi brake boosted and the Shelby was around 4k rpm, then the STi shifts and the Shelby pulls. All shifts were between 6-6500, it is rev limited at 6750, so I short shifted a good few of them. Overall im not too happy, I didnt think he was going to get me that bad, and just glad he didnt want to do it for $$$. So awd, a good gear, and less weight really make a BIG difference. He knows if the GT500 had good tires it would be game over for the STi.

Zeke0123

Established Member
ouch! Well we ran tonight. The results werent as I expected. Ill try to have vids up by tomorrow.
0-120
GT500<STi
GT500<STi
40 roll
GT500>STi

Both digs were no fun, on the first one it was ok in 1st, but I hit 2nd and spun them over a good bit. By the time I hit 2nd, the STi had an easy 3 cars. Then he got way ahead. Finally I caught him and flew by around 135. The second dig wasnt any prettier, I had a bad launch and was spinning a bit, it half hooked and I gave it some more, by now the STi has several cars on me, I short shift 2nd so bad it barely chirps them, but its better than spinning. Finally I pull him and hard, I dont go around him till around 140 though :( The 40 roll as expected the Shelby pulled pretty good. It was close at first, the STi brake boosted and the Shelby was around 4k rpm, then the STi shifts and the Shelby pulls. All shifts were between 6-6500, it is rev limited at 6750, so I short shifted a good few of them. Overall im not too happy, I didnt think he was going to get me that bad, and just glad he didnt want to do it for $$$. So awd, a good gear, and less weight really make a BIG difference. He knows if the GT500 had good tires it would be game over for the STi.
That does suck but really the stock tires are a complete joke...you need DRs stock much less modded..nice try though :rolling:.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
some DRs and a little launch practice will make perfect...

Users who are viewing this thread