Thoughts on switching to 3:73 gears

robvas

Established Member
I must be the only idiot with 3.27's (SRA) in their Cobra

55, 85, 115, 150 are my shift points! 5th will go to 192 almost like a Geetee Five hunnert!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I must be the only idiot with 3.27's (SRA) in their Cobra

55, 85, 115, 150 are my shift points! 5th will go to 192 almost like a Geetee Five hunnert!
I kept the stock 3.27's in my 01 for a long time. I ended up swapping them with a buddy for a set of 3.90's. This was after I had my big bore and F1A. I ended up kind of regretting it in the end. Especially after putting on the Tial 50mm. If I had kept that car I was either going to do a Viper spec 5th and 6th or swap to 3.55's.

fitforspeed

Established Member
4.10’s here in a built irs. I absolutely love the 4.10’s. It’s a blast if you want to just get out and bang some gears and blow the tires off and do some drifts. I run 315 Toyo r888’s on the street, but definitely have to run a full slick for the track. Hoosier makes a 28 inch tire for 17 inch wheels if you don’t want to have to do any grinding on the rear knuckles. If you don’t want to run a full slick and prefer to just run a drag radial I would stick with the 3.55’s. But from my experience it is always a struggle to get decent traction at the track with any drag radial even with the 3.55’s. The best mod for the track is bias ply slicks. It just allows you to enjoy the car so much more. The first gear in the Terminator always felt like it needed more rear gear to get it out of the hole when at the track. With the 4.10’s it moves!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did 373s for a while

Big difference in response to throttle,

I hwy drive more, it felt like I needed more gears.

Gas mileage dropped a little

I did go back to 355s when pinion bearing fried

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got 3.73 in my 04 Vert making just over 600 at the tires. IRS is the full MM race kit with the exception of the FTBR lowering diff mount. It would blow the tires off on street tires even with 315’s. Has toyo R888Rs on it now and once hot it will hook mostly in 1st and usually 2nd. The 1-2 shift comes really fast. I had a 01 cobra with. KB blower and it had 3.55’s. Granted different transmission but I liked the 3.55’s and longer legs of the 01 more for daily use

ITSTOCK

Established Member
And in town driving like leaving a light isn’t a bother?

Not positive but don’t you run 8s at the strip or something? On those 3.55s? Or is that someone else?

I don’t drag at all but I need a tire under my car in a bad way.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

One of my current cobras runs 8’s, but I’ve had a bunch of different combos and cobras over the years. Currently I’m running either a 3.25 (street/track) or a 3.70 (track, works with 2nd gear leave well) , it’s a 9” rear so adding the fluid takes more time than the actual gear change. The 3.50 would have been the best all around option, but I’m all spent right now on third members.

Never was an issue pulling out or launching. I know a lot of guys say they found magic in medium power cars with the 26”, but I just never did, no matter what the style of launch, the tire, or power was. The added sidewall flex on the 28 was a bonus as well for IRS durability.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I have the stock 3.55s and haven't done a wot from first in years as it's just a waste.

MG0h3

Established Member
One of my current cobras runs 8’s, but I’ve had a bunch of different combos and cobras over the years. Currently I’m running either a 3.25 (street/track) or a 3.70 (track, works with 2nd gear leave well) , it’s a 9” rear so adding the fluid takes more time than the actual gear change. The 3.50 would have been the best all around option, but I’m all spent right now on third members.

Never was an issue pulling out or launching. I know a lot of guys say they found magic in medium power cars with the 26”, but I just never did, no matter what the style of launch, the tire, or power was. The added sidewall flex on the 28 was a bonus as well for IRS durability.

Rgr that. Time to order a drag pack with 28s then.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread