Thoughts on the Chevy Caprice. LEO only please.

Spade

Established Member
Our department will be looking to get a new cruiser in the next 6-7 months and our chief does not like the Taurus due to the lack of visibility on the sides and rear. The interior seems to be a tad tight for some of our guys too.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the caprice and your thoughts. If you're able to give me a personal comparison between the caprice and the Taurus that would be great.

FYI, our area is primarily ford. Those that have GMs either have the Malibu or Tahoe.

Thanks,

Spade

musclefan21

Established Member
I drive one. Honestly I think the interceptor is larger in the inside. Caprice is smooth, powerful, tight but I dont like them. I have to put my laptop lid down if I wanna see right. Visibility is horrible. It gets the job done, but I like how I can see everything with crown vic and comfortably move around inside.

l ShadowFox l

Established Member
I drive a Caprice every day. Powerplant is a much needed upgrade over the vic, but i hate everything else about it. Tiny inside, visibility is awful, and have actually had to down my cruiser on multiple occasions for electrical issues. My cruiser just rolled over 9500 miles last night.

Shepp1691

Established Member
Car is very fast, in sport mode the transmission is very aggressive, having said that, the suspension is so rough it has made me car sick on rough country roads. Like all the new choices, small inside, small trunk.

l ShadowFox l

Established Member
I forgot to mention, those that drive the new Caprice, check the rear bolts that hold your driver's seat in. I have had multiple cruisers that those bolts had almost backed out completely.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I'm not a huge fan of the Caprices either. We received a few now, you have to put the laptop down to see out of the pass mirror. It's a little small overall. Also, the laptop mount (in our cars) eats in to the passenger side seat, so if you guys ride two man in your dept (80-90% or so dont over here) that can pose a problem. I still prefer the crown vics, even if they are slower.

Besides the 15 or so Caprices we received, I heard my dept is going with the Explorers. We have a few of those too now, not a fan of driving an SUV. Havent gotten to drive one yet, just sat in it.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Interior is to tight IMO. We have the interceptors caprices and tahoes. Dept decided to stick with the Tahoe because of space. Doesn't matter to me on any of them cause I'm in motors

Spade

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Seems to be the same complaints as the Taurus. Small interior and visibility is tight. I did mention about getting a new Explorer. The surrounding departments love them without issues.

Anyone else would be great.

Thanks again,

Spade

Shepp1691

Established Member
Tahoes are super nice but wont be available next year due to retooling the factory for the new tahoe, has our department looking elsewhere.

l ShadowFox l

Established Member
Every one of our new Caprice's that have gone into the shop for an oil change (< 30k miles) has had broken motor mounts. I'm really starting to think that Chevy skimped on this car.

wesessiah

Established Member
i take it chargers are out? visibility of course isn't great, but we haven't had any of the same issues with the new ones as the older ones (brakes and fans.) we have them in the 20,000-30,000 mile range with no issues. only a few of our patrol vehicles aren't chargers now... we actually still have a crown vic with a little over 100,000 on the clock... we have impalas (06-13 model, so i can't speak for the new ones) with zero problems, but of course the 3.5 liter tends to get beaten to calls by the hemi, lol. i personally like the interior of the impala more than the charger, and about even with the crown vic, but i can't compare them with the new caprice or taurus, i just don't have personal experience with them. we got some ford escape hybrids on a grant, they're comfortable, but it's easy to see they aren't a patrol vehicle. if you're going to be 43, just hope your backup isn't an escape, lol.

Spade

Established Member
Chargers are out as of now. Our Chief does not like the looks plus he said the side windows are to small and in turn makes visibility low.

I really hope he does not go with impala due to the front wheel drive. There is a department close that has one and some love it and other say its ok. Said Impala has had no issue and the car has been in service for a year plus.

Thanks for the updates guys. More are welcome.

Spade

03cobraracer

Established Member
I've also heard the interior is tight and you cant see well with the Taurus and the caprice.. ive sat in the Taurus but haven't had the chance to drive either. I haven't been stateside in a while to get the chance to.. I really like the newer explorers they are nice and have a lot of space, we have some regular explorers here in Germany ive driven a few times but they are the higher ups vehicles not the regular patrols..

Just be glad you guys aren't driving this crap everyday with nothing more then a radio and the stupid light bar.. no cage, no long gun, nothing... We had older explorers but they turned them in and gave us these European turds.. they have decent power they are turbo diesel but they still suck so much I hate them..

812D2B35-BBEF-4782-8E7F-CA9386E2BE25-1033-00000067F690FEEE_zpsb04d9e67.jpg

Last edited:

Spade

Established Member
I've also heard the interior is tight and you cant see well with the Taurus and the caprice.. ive sat in the Taurus but haven't had the chance to drive either. I haven't been stateside in a while to get the chance to.. I really like the newer explorers they are nice and have a lot of space, we have some regular explorers here in Germany ive driven a few times but they are the higher ups vehicles not the regular patrols..

Just be glad you guys aren't driving this crap everyday with nothing more then a radio and the stupid light bar.. no cage, no long gun, nothing... We had older explorers but they turned them in and gave us these European turds.. they have decent power they are turbo diesel but they still suck so much I hate them..

812D2B35-BBEF-4782-8E7F-CA9386E2BE25-1033-00000067F690FEEE_zpsb04d9e67.jpg

Man that sucks. Be safe brotha!

03cobraracer

Established Member
Thanks spade! And yes it does suck its a joke the equipment they give us over here. I just got certified on a X26 taser but we aren't allowed to carry them... makes sense.. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread