Throttle body mod...What should I expect

stevieb

Established Member
I can use some feedback here please. I was thinking of installing a single blade TB (stock size flow) and intake plenum. I hear of good numbers as far as HP/TQ for bolt ons.
Has anybody encountered any problems as a result of doing this mod?
I have cai and catback now and thought this would be a good mod to add and still remain warranty compliant.
What is a good brand to buy? I hear Accufab is the top of the line in this area for the 03 Cobra. Any info would be appreciated.:beer:

ALA G8R

Banned
A single blade TB is not a great bang for the buck HP mod. That being said, you will notice much better throttle response from the single blade versus the stock twin bore TB. Is that worth 6 bills? Your call. I found one used so it cost me significantly less. I think that there is one currently for sale in "The Market". Here is the .LINK. This is a great deal.

I love my Accufab. I have never had any problem with it.

If you are looking for a better bang for the buck HP mod that is warranty friendly, then I would recommend a Diablosport Predator

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You are most likely going to see little to no increase in HP on an otherwise basically stock car. Throttle response is much better. I have an Accufab and would recommend you buy a Billetflow TB and Plenum instead.

sonic03snake

Track Whore
Established Member
You will see a lot crisper throttle responce but will loose some low end torque. I lost et in the 60 ft but gained a little et overall, my mile per hour went up 2 mph. I would also say you still have a few other parts that would help more than the tb. Other than exaust, the predator gave me the most sotp feel. Just my 2 pennys.

stevieb

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I must be confused from the info I received before I posted here. Youre saying I will probably not get any hp in crease? I was led to believe I would get 36-48 in combination with the plenum. Wow I guess real world numbers tell a different story????
Ala g8r, I went to the link you said, he wants like 425 I think, My friend just called me and said I can get a new one for 450, not including the plenum or a intake pipe.
As far as the predator, Ive been told that is risky in regards to Warranty, even if you reburn, they can tell its been flashed and if the flash dates dont coincide with the dealer records they'll know.
If I was going to squeeze the most out of it I would go with the predator, so when I did pullies everything would match up.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
I was led to believe I would get 36-48 in combination with the plenum.
hahaha

You'd be lucky to get 10rwhp if any gain at all. Some have reported losing up to 20rwtq from the mod.

03CobraCCC

Wheaton Warbird!
Established Member
u must of just read the MM&FF article on the vortech'd cobra with the accufab TB install......

dougwg

Established Member
anyone that tells you more then 10-15 HP peak gain is a lier

that being said, I have seen more HP and TQ gains midrange with a BilletFlow

stevieb

Established Member
Wow, I guess the old sayings true, dont believe everything you read. With what you guys are telling me, then its not worth the gain for $600 even though a crisp throttle response wouldve been nice.
So let me change the topic sort of here. About the predator, forget what I said about the warranty thing for now.
So with a basically stock motor, what kind of improvements can you get from the burn without doing pullies?
I think the prices Ive seen for this is around $400-425, so what kind of bang for buck could one see? Thanks again guys.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have had the Accufab since May. I've had no problems with it. I did not dyno after this particular mod but I did feel a slight increase in my SOTP dyno. At that time I didn't have a pulley and chip. I believe this particular mod works best with a pulley mod because air flow is increased. Like Ala G8r said, don't expect a big increase on a stock Cobra. I'm glad I got my Accufab but it isn't the best bang-for-the-buck mod out there. I'd recommend you save it for later and spend your money elsewhere where you'll see more substantial power gains. Like, for example, the Apten blower. Less money than the Accufab with a 30-40 rwhp increase. Now THAT'S a good bang-for-the-buck mod!
:beer:

sonic03snake

Track Whore
Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
Wow, I guess the old sayings true, dont believe everything you read. With what you guys are telling me, then its not worth the gain for $600 even though a crisp throttle response wouldve been nice.
So let me change the topic sort of here. About the predator, forget what I said about the warranty thing for now.
So with a basically stock motor, what kind of improvements can you get from the burn without doing pullies?
I think the prices Ive seen for this is around $400-425, so what kind of bang for buck could one see? Thanks again guys.
I believe someone posted around 20-30 hp? Im not positive. I have improved my times by 3 tenths since the predator install. This is with the non pully tune with no changes.:shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I have had the Accufab since May. I've had no problems with it. I did not dyno after this particular mod but I did feel a slight increase in my SOTP dyno.
I agree. Same experience here.

the Apten blower. Less money than the Accufab with a 30-40 rwhp increase. Now THAT'S a good bang-for-the-buck mod!
:beer:
Again I agree. If I had $600 to spend I'd do this mod.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I love the throttle response, but money wasn't much of an issue earlier this year so I said WTF. Gains are marginal at best but I do think it is an important mod the faster you start to spin the blower. Do other things first but don't forget about the Accufab!

CarpetTownCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
anyone that tells you more then 10-15 HP peak gain is a lier

that being said, I have seen more HP and TQ gains midrange with a BilletFlow

LOL! This is coming straight from the guy who made my Billetflow TB and elbow.

Match it up with a high flow air box (not necessarily a CAI) and you should see good response. I went from 371 stock with a paper filter and snorkel to 402 with only a PHP air box and Doug's parts, no other changes except to the inlet tract.

Thanx Doug :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread