Throttle lag or what? Hanging around 3k-3.8k rpms and then hitting it, = car bogs?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
My GT-500 has been doing this since I got it (about 7 months now), going through the gears it is fine, but if I say keep it around 3k-3.8k RPM for 3-4 seconds without throttle, then hit it, it seems like the motor goes instantly, then bogs for just a mili-second, then boom back on. RPMS do not jump up so I don't think it is the clutch (anything above 4k it instantly takes off, no lag), just seems to lag. If I am driving and down-shift into that range and punch it, no delay at all, same as if accelerating hard and going through the gears, none of that weird "lag" is this throttle lag or engine? Pretty confused by it and that "hiccup" is weird. I'll try to get a video up soon, just was wanting to ask if this was throttle lag as I'm at 3-3.8k rpm for a few seconds off the pedal, THEN I get on it, and it will do it, it only seems to do it after I'm around that RPM and then punch it after letting off for a couple seconds. Thanks in advance. :-D

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
What are your mods and who tuned it?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Ok, how many miles and have you ever changed your plugs?

Speedboosted

Established Member
Is traction control on and cutting power for a second? I read it as when you stomp on the gas around 3500 rpm, the heart of the torque band, it cuts power for a sec. Usually that would be the car sensing loss of traction (that split second you actually accelerated) and then cutting power to prevent more loss of traction that would result in you kissing a tree.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Is traction control on and cutting power for a second? I read it as when you stomp on the gas around 3500 rpm, the heart of the torque band, it cuts power for a sec. Usually that would be the car sensing loss of traction (that split second you actually accelerated) and then cutting power to prevent more loss of traction that would result in you kissing a tree.
To be honest I haven't tested the car w\o trac control on, I will do that to make sure, but I don't believe that is it, as if I drop to that rpm and instantly get on it, bam I'm off, it is *ONLY* if I hang around those rpms for a couple seconds then punch it. I will test that though, good idea.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I had this same issue a while back but I had a pulley, CAI, and tune. When I changed out my throttle body and got a new tune it went away. I think I did plugs at the same time too. I think the issue though was with the TB and tune.

einehund

Established Member
I was thinking T/C as well. I notice a "lag" like you are describing if my traction control is on. Just for S#!%s and giggles, try it w/o the traction control and see if it does it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What gear are you in when it happens? Like others said, it's probably traction control causing the problem, especially if you're stock. Stock tunes have some kind of engine torque protection or something like that.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Sorry for my slow response, been busy as heck. The issue is pretty confusing to me, tomorrow I will do a video with my phone facing the rpm gauge\etc, you will see when I mash it that it goes instantly then pauses for a split second, then bam off again. It just seems that whenever I downshift to 3300-3600rpm, (and instantly wot, or hold it there then wot, and wait for it to be in that range again, and wot) the entire car "lags" for a split second.

What confuses me if if I take it to 4k rpms and hit it, instant take-off, no lag, nothing, even if I leave it in that range for a couple seconds, it's just that 3300-3600rpm spot, and it feels like it "cuts" off the motor for a split second. I don't "think" it is traction control, because there is no loss of traction, and at 4k+, it never does it, same as when flooring it and going up through the gears, but what would cause this I have no clue...but...

Anyway I'll get a video up ASAP, as I have to get the car serviced in 500 miles which will come up pretty quick.

*Also it happens in 2nd and third, and forth, so I assume in all others as well, flooring it from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, to forth, no lag what so ever, only when down-shifting or hanging around that rpm area then punching it, a weird "pause" then it goes*

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
At least check the traction control, but it wouldn't spin 4th...:shrug: Maybe slight detonation? Just throwin' it out there?

Users who are viewing this thread