Throttle Surging? Cutting out?

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Okay so I have a MT82 and 2012 PCM swapped in from a donor car. The 12 PCM runs a stock 2012 tune in my previously auto 13 Mustang.

The car starts (take a little longer, turns over around twice as long), and I can drive it but it's like driving a ridiculously cammed car. If I rev it, I get immense backfiring and not a lot of revs at all. And if I floor it, if the car is under 2k rpm, it hardly budges and the engine just starts to sound like it's coughing. Above 3k, car behaves a little better and will somewhat respond.

I was on the freeway when the throttle just cut out. Doing 65ish and the revs just started dying. Throttle gave no response whatsoever and sat at idle RPM. I had to pull over and realized it would rev only with the clutch pushed in, not necessarily all the way. This only happened twice.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I try reflashing a 2013 strategy onto it at a dealership?

Also, what is the line connected to the intake that only comes on the auto? Could that be the issue?

EDIT: Did NOT do a crank relearn as the head tech at the dealer said it wasn't necessary.... Although I'm having strong suspicions that this may be it.

Last edited:

Slowb00st

Established Member
from the secon paragraph it sound to be out of timing, I would do the crank position relearn if anything it can not hurt. After all its a different engine from the one the ecu is set to.

Also if you can wait a week or so without using the car I would get vcm2 and yiu can di the relearn your self even flash between stock tune strategies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread