Throw-Out Bearing Problem?

Hammer

Established Member
I read the past posts on throw-out bearing issues. My symptoms seem slightly different.

In the past two days, the car started developing this nasty "dolphin" sound. It happens after getting on it hard a few times. At idle, there is a slight vibration and the dolphin squeal. It doesn't matter if the car is in gear, in neutral, clutch in or out. It lasts a few seconds and goes away.

And it's intermittent. It only seems to happen when very hot after a hard holeshot.

Sound like the throw out bearing issue to anyone?

03blownvenom

Established Member
Mine just started doing it a couple of days ago. It's only doing it when the clutch is disengaged. Sounds like a cat got stuck in the transmission. I've been back to the dealer 4 times now regarding leaking foglights, paint inperfection, window squeal, and some other minor problems. Hopefully they can get this fixed with the DS... But, I will always stand true to the Cobra, I still love it...

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Re: Throw-Out Bearing Problem?

Originally posted by Tetge
Not to be a wise guy, but, considering all your engine mods, have you considered the idea that the drivetrain may be crying for help?

Not to be a wise guy but....<insert sarcastic comment>.

Hey, I'm not a jerkoff but....<insert jerked-off comment>.

Is your pre-disclaimer supposed to cancel out the comment? If so, why bother with the dig at all? Either MAKE THE COMMENT OR DONT. None of this pulling the trigger and running for cover CRAP!! Fire that gun with pride and pleasure and stand tall and say, "I'm the assasin on the grassy knoll!" Let's dispell with the vague contradictions.

Try something like this: "Ahhh!! You modded the shit out of your car and now something got injured. You got what you deserved! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! I don't have the balls to mod my car like you did so I am therefore rejoicing in your misforture!"

See? A decisive, direct and straight-forward comment like that, while obnoxious and deeply insulting, commands respect through it's very nature: direct, honest and straight-forward. Such an approach is balked and objected by pussies and whiners but..WHO CARES ABOUT THEM ANYWAY???

In any event, you'll be glad to know that my car went to a good SVT dealer this morning. It was approved for complete service after I explained all my mods openly with the service manager. No special connection, no "in with Ford"...just tried the straight-forward approach.

So much for the dreaded VOIDED WARRANTY theory and horror stories. I feel bad for the guys who got banged. I guess I got lucky.

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Throw-Out Bearing Problem?

Originally posted by Tetge
Envy can twist even the best of us. But, it still doesn't sound like a classical throw-out bearing problem.

No reason to envy me, for sure. I'm just another knuckle-head looking for 11's on the stock F-1's.

I am close...12.1@118 with a 1.9 short time and still very questionable driving.

Yeah, I have no idea if it's the throw out bearing or what. As soon as I find something out I'll let you guys know in a new thread.

Thanks very much for all the input and everything I write is in the spirit of fun, ball-busting and 03 fellowship!

jtfx6552

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Throw-Out Bearing Problem?

Originally posted by Hammer

No reason to envy me, for sure. I'm just another knuckle-head looking for 11's on the stock F-1's.

I am close...12.1@118 with a 1.9 short time and still very questionable driving.

Whoa, 12.1@118, sounds good, 1.9 60 FT!!! What track? Are you going to Atco, tomorrow? I may be there, long story. I also may be at Cecil Friday early for a few runs.

JT

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Throw-Out Bearing Problem?

Originally posted by jtfx6552

Whoa, 12.1@118, sounds good, 1.9 60 FT!!! What track? Are you going to Atco, tomorrow? I may be there, long story. I also may be at Cecil Friday early for a few runs.

JT

Hey John.

Yeah, I peeled off a 12.3 and 12.1 last night at Atco. Damn waterbox is hurting me I think though.

I dont know if I will be there tomorrow. Depends on what happens with the car at service.

Call me if you get a chance.

Rich

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I just dropped my 03 Cobra off at the dealership this morning for the same thing. I had it in there about 3 weeks ago for the same problem. They replaced the throwout bearing last time. This time they are going to check if the clutch is slipping. It shouldn't be happening but it is.

BTW... it has nothing to do with your performance mods at all since all I've had done is the exhaust and intake and I'm having the same problem. It usually squeels after aggressive driving through town (hard accelerating) or after accelarating hard on the freeway.

I pick it up tomorrow. If it happens again then I'll probably take it to a different dealer.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
So does your guys' do it while you're driving down the road, or when you're coasting to a stop? Mine does it when coming to a stop...starts about 20 mph or so.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome
I just dropped my 03 Cobra off at the dealership this morning for the same thing. I had it in there about 3 weeks ago for the same problem. They replaced the throwout bearing last time. This time they are going to check if the clutch is slipping. It shouldn't be happening but it is.

BTW... it has nothing to do with your performance mods at all since all I've had done is the exhaust and intake and I'm having the same problem. It usually squeels after aggressive driving through town (hard accelerating) or after accelarating hard on the freeway.

I pick it up tomorrow. If it happens again then I'll probably take it to a different dealer.

Thanks for the input, ygohome. I appreciate knowing that I did not do it to the car.

If it happens to you again, you've got a good case for the lemon law. I think the lemon law pays 3X the value of the vehicle. Would you sell your 03 for over $100,000?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member

Thanks for the input, ygohome. I appreciate knowing that I did not do it to the car.

If it happens to you again, you've got a good case for the lemon law. I think the lemon law pays 3X the value of the vehicle. Would you sell your 03 for over $100,000?

:lol: if it were an easy process to do the lemon thing, $100,000 would make it tempting. I'd do it an then turn around and buy two 03 Cobras and use the remaining money to build a stroker engine in one of them... and of course to fix the clutch squeel.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member

I did a lot of reading on the lemon law a while back (long story, but the vette had so many problems in the first 3 months that I thought it was a lemon), and if I remember correctly, the MFG has the option of either A) replacing your car with another of the same make, model, and options, or B) Refunding you back the entire purchase price. I don't remeber anything about 3x purchase, 'cause if I had seen that, I would have pursued that to the end of the earth (on the vette, that was over 150 G's !!)

Users who are viewing this thread