Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

Tweaker

Established Member
There appears to be an issue with the '03 and perhaps '04 Cobra's TOBs squealing/noise. Also if the bearings are not replaced quickly it may damage the transmission sleeve/snout. According to Ford this will require a transmission replacement.

How many folks are having problems with their TOBs?

gasgzlr

Established Member
I have had mine replaced twice already. I am just going to put a better clutch and throw out bearing in the next time I take it apart.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Mine made noise for the first time yesterday of course none today and I am sure it wont do it if I take it in. guess Ill wait till it does it all the time. Iam also considering putting a spec stage two or three clutch in myself instead of letting ford put the same POS tob back. 8000 easy miles no mods other than exhaust and K&N.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Only done it once after about a 20 minute drive wasnt a high pitched squeel almost souned like rattling exhaust with the clutch pushed in stopped with it out. went back out an hour or so latter nothing drive about 30 or 40 minutes today and no noise.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
To fix your cars the bearing retainer will need to be replaced. Just a clutch in most cases will not fix the car. There is a new clutch avail from ford that is suppposed to fix this problem.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
this TOB sound do you have to listen for it or do you know when its going on because its loud? thanks for any info

jeff

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
SVT adviser do you have the part number for the new bearing retainer? also is thier a new tob? Or was it the retainer causing the problem?

ltv1

Established Member
TOB replaced with Valeo aftermarket, stock in several pieces, retainer torn in two. Replacement OEM TOB's are inferior. I decided to shell out the extra 7 bucks. Also threw on a quadrant adjuster to make sure clutch disengages, lost one tranny already. So far, so good with new parts (<2weeks). I can even back up now!

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by vector
this TOB sound do you have to listen for it or do you know when its going on because its loud? thanks for any info

jeff

Mine sounded like silverware being dropped into an air handler fan with a pig squealing in the background. Real classy. If it billowed white smoke, and I had a Mullet I could have been Joe Dirt.

i8u

Established Member
Tranny replaced once due to damaged retainer

throwout bearing replaced one other time @15 K miles

ltv1

Established Member
Parts Bin Garbage. I am glad I am just buying quality aftermarket stuff from now on. If Fraud voids your warranty for "fender rubber" they don't want to dive into these money pits.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
It's only starting to complain a little. Slight chirping noise with the clutch out while in neutral, goes away when I step on the pedal...and there is no adjustment left. I don't think it ever had any. I've pulled up on the pedal about once a week.

Other times it squeals after I've gotten on it hard and I have the clutch in with the car in gear, pulling into a parking spot.

I'll wait a few more miles before I take it in, and I'll have the dealer replace with aftermarket parts. If I'm going to use my warranty I'll use it at 30K.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
To fix your cars the bearing retainer will need to be replaced. Just a clutch in most cases will not fix the car. There is a new clutch avail from ford that is suppposed to fix this problem.

Do you have any access to the reasoning for not selliing transmission parts? Is this true for every Ford manual transmission, or just the T-45 and T-56's?

I can't get over the whole thing. I can see ford not wanting dealer techs tearing apart transmissions to replace internals, but not selling any internal parts seems bizarre.

I thought parts were a profit center? Why not sell the internal parts?

JT

yermo

Established Member
1500 miles and the throwout bearing started to squeak bad. fix and haven't had a problem with it yet. 10000 miles!! sad

Stalker

Established Member
Having my Tranny replaced right now. Seems like a shame for Ford to eat $3k in warranty work when to simply fix the faulty design/part would be much cheaper. But, hey. If they want to put a new trans in for my every 12k miles, who am I to complain? I'll just make sure they do it at the 36k mark and then put a decent aftermarket TOB in at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread