Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

NVMYPWR

Established Member
Okay...from what ltv1 said, it doesn't sound like I have this problem yet. I have 2200 miles on my Cobra.

What do I have to do to prevent this from being a problem entirely (before it arises)?

Do I just need to get a new aftermarket clutch setup?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
Do you have any access to the reasoning for not selliing transmission parts? Is this true for every Ford manual transmission, or just the T-45 and T-56's?

I can't get over the whole thing. I can see ford not wanting dealer techs tearing apart transmissions to replace internals, but not selling any internal parts seems bizarre.

I thought parts were a profit center? Why not sell the internal parts?

JT

JT,

You have the most rational questions, which is why I keep quoting your posts. I don't claim to have all the answers, I'm just brainstorming with you. :thumbsup:

At this point it looks like the Cobra spec T56 is a new item that is not in any other Ford car at the moment. If this is true, then there was a point in another thread where Ford most likely takes the entire unit (replaced under our warrantee) and then throws it back on TTC, who then makes it good on Ford for the warranty (since it is a new designed part in a new application, and therefore Ford needed a few failsafes designed into their contract). It all depends on the wording of the agreement, but I bet that in order to be a Tier 1 parts supplier TTC would have to not only eat the tranny but pay a portion (if not all) the charging dealer's labor costs if it was replaced.

Using these assumptions, it makes sense why Ford is replacing entire units and usually has no problems with it if the car has no mods (realistically). Again, it depends on how the agreement between TTC and Ford is worded, but right now TTC is not supplying replacement parts for service of the assembly. Reasons? Would it be that TTC is using 100% of its parts to make transmissions to satisfy its contractual obligations to Ford as a Tier 1 supplier and therefore has nothing to spare right now? :??:

Tweaker

Established Member
I wonder if TOB failures are due to inadequate clutch free-play? If the bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers all the time this will accelerate wear. Since many have complained about the quadrant perhaps this is the cause?

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
It is my understanding that the T-5 has a constant velocity TOB, meaning it has to be in light contact with the clutch 100% of the time.

Since the tensioner system on the 03/04 cars is the same as it was in my 95, I have to assume that the 03/04 cars have a constant velocity TOB also, and therefore should have no free play (but no pressure on the clutch either).

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
JT,

You have the most rational questions, which is why I keep quoting your posts. I don't claim to have all the answers, I'm just brainstorming with you. :thumbsup:

At this point it looks like the Cobra spec T56 is a new item that is not in any other Ford car at the moment. If this is true, then there was a point in another thread where Ford most likely takes the entire unit (replaced under our warrantee) and then throws it back on TTC, who then makes it good on Ford for the warranty (since it is a new designed part in a new application, and therefore Ford needed a few failsafes designed into their contract). It all depends on the wording of the agreement, but I bet that in order to be a Tier 1 parts supplier TTC would have to not only eat the tranny but pay a portion (if not all) the charging dealer's labor costs if it was replaced.

Using these assumptions, it makes sense why Ford is replacing entire units and usually has no problems with it if the car has no mods (realistically). Again, it depends on how the agreement between TTC and Ford is worded, but right now TTC is not supplying replacement parts for service of the assembly. Reasons? Would it be that TTC is using 100% of its parts to make transmissions to satisfy its contractual obligations to Ford as a Tier 1 supplier and therefore has nothing to spare right now? :??:

I'm with you Joe. It jsut seems so odd. I thought at first that the parts and documentation were not complete in the ford parts system and that eventually they will get added. Maybe that is still true? It seems that some people, including me, drive more than 35000 miles per year ( I don't drive this Cobra everyday though) and would soon be out of warranty due to mileage. Seems unreasonbale to tell them to buy a new transmission because the need a new sleave or a new synchro?

The whole "they are purposely trying to screw all of us", argument, as much as it seems to be true, just doesn't make any sense. In the business I'm in, the manufacturers I deal with try hard to get all the aftermarket parts business, to make good $. They definately try to do things to keep aftermarket companies from stepping in with parts. What is going on here, It just doesn't make any sense.

JT

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just got my car back froma having the 4th TOB replaced. This is the 1st time it has been replaced since the new T-56 was installed a few months ago.Piece of Cripe!!! Black03

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Joe Asheville and JT, the rationale that Ford is just throwing the T56 transmissions back to TTC and having TTC eat the costs makes sense and must be why they are replacing the whole transmissions.

I wonder what is happening with all the used ones that only need the front adaptor and Bearing Retainer replaced? There should be some good buys in refreshed T56's coming along!

Gord

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by GordsFord
Joe Asheville and JT, the rationale that Ford is just throwing the T56 transmissions back to TTC and having TTC eat the costs makes sense and must be why they are replacing the whole transmissions.

I wonder what is happening with all the used ones that only need the front adaptor and Bearing Retainer replaced? There should be some good buys in refreshed T56's coming along!

Gord

Could be, although I suspect Tremec isn't interested in replacing for free transmissions damaged by Ford's throw out bearing.

I'm sure remec isn't into replacing transmissions for free that have been "abused" anymore than Ford is interested in fixing "abused" cars under warranty.

JT

Dave07997S

Established Member
Guys alot of the problems with the T/O bearings are due to the auto adjusting clutch of the Mustangs. I can't believe Ford is still using this POS. The problem lies with the T/O bearing not resting on the pressure plate securely. On my 98 Mustang Cobra I had 3 T/O bearings on the car and it wasn't until the last one in which I bought a firewall adjuster, cable and new aluminum quadrant did I stop having problems with this. BTW, this has been a problem on all Mustangs since 1979 as I have had a 79 V8 Mustang, a 82 GT, 85 GT, a 90 5.0LX, 93-95-and 98 Mustang Cobra. The 79 was bought used the 82 on up Mustangs were new. They all had this problem except the 93 Mustang Cobra which had a different T5 than the rest of the cars with its steel retainer vs. the aluminum ones that gouge real easy. Also, I found that sitting at a light with your foot depressing the clutch is accelerating the wear on the T/O bearing. So as I would pull to the light I put the car in 4th (1:1) put the car in neutral with my foot off the clutch. This helped things alot. Hoped I helped in some small way. Dave.

Mojo03

Established Member
Hey, out there, there's a TSB on the TOB!!!! Go to the dealership and have them replace it--for free. I did for mine.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Mojo03 now they just need a tsb for the retainer and we would be all set . just courios how many miles with new tob?

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Mojo03
Hey, out there, there's a TSB on the TOB!!!! Go to the dealership and have them replace it--for free. I did for mine.
Do you have the TSB #? Or just point me in the right direction to look for it. That would be a great help to me and hundreds of others too!:beer:

SStupid

Established Member
300 miles

300 miles with new TOB. Mine was replaced without my even knowing there was anything wrong with it at 16,250 miles. I took my car in for problems getting into first gear. The next thing I knew, I had a new driver's head, clutch plate, TOB, and pressure plate. Now, after 300 miles, I'm getting some awful rattling noise that sounds like a loose heat shield, except much louder. The noise is the loudest in 2nd gear, right after clutch engagement. If I rest my foot on the clutch pedal, the noise goes away. Going into Ford this Wed. My dealership is great to me, so I don't mind too much, but I hope I don't continue to have issues. I just can't afford to fix this car all the time after the service contract expires. See you there, Lance.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Ditto what Dave said. I basically said the exact same thing in another post about the TOB problems. Every stang that I have ever seen with TOB problems was cured with a adjuster, cable, and quadrant.

BLK_03

Established Member
With the above being said:

Has anybody who has replaced the quadrant and firewall adjuster(early in the car's life OR soon after replacement of a TOB) had a stock Ford TOB go bad?

Oh yeah my TOB was squealing like a pig at 4,500 miles. Replaced under warranty. I'm at 6K now and no squeal.......

Yet.

Tweaker

Established Member
Like I said, seems like the TOB is riding on the p/p. Bearing cannot last long under this condition. I can't believe SVT engineers do not know about this reliability issue. The quadrant/cable is a POS, SVT plain and simple. The fact is the aftermarket has fixed this shows Ford is FOS. Maybe I will have to come to Detroit to teach you guys a few lessons. Been there, done this shit over thirty years ago. Hey its just a clutch, it does not take rocket science to design one properly!

SStupid

Established Member
afraid

I'm afraid to use the adj quadrant because I'm afraid Ford will deny payment of service, claiming that the adjuster is what caused my issues. It'll have to wait until 36K miles.

Roush97

Established Member
Any issues with the clutch assembly? I just bought a new 03 cobra clutch with flywheel. I'm not going to be sorry am I? If there is an updated part, could someone please post it? I want to make sure I have the latest part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread