Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

SStupid

Established Member
I think

Originally posted by Roush97
Any issues with the clutch assembly? I just bought a new 03 cobra clutch with flywheel. I'm not going to be sorry am I? If there is an updated part, could someone please post it? I want to make sure I have the latest part.

From what I can tell from my receipt, it looks like the clutch disk part # is 3R3V-7750-AARM.

It's really hard to understand all these abbreviations, though, so I can't be sure. The description is: DSC ASY-CL FRT. I think that means Disc Assembly- Clutch Ford Trash.:p

Roush97

Established Member
The part number off of my clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel kit is 3R3Z-7B546-AA Do you see that part number anywhere? What is a good aftermarket TOB and retainer?

Last edited:

SStupid

Established Member
Nope

The part number off of my clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel kit is 3R3Z-7B546-AA Do you see that part number anywhere? What is a good aftermarket TOB and retainer?

I don't see that part number anywhere on my receipt. Sorry. I have heard that the retainer is part of the tranny, so there is no aftermarket part. The whole tranny has to be replaced, and the "retainer" will be the same.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Roush97 what transmission are you going to use? the problem seems to be the retainer is causing the tob to go bad prematurley. if you are not using the 03 transmission with the pressed on retainer I dont believe you will have a problemm with your tob or clutch set up.

Roush97

Established Member
With all of the problems the 03 trannies are having, I think I will be getting the Viper version for my car. From what I hear I shouldn't have to worry about anything with that tranny. Do you know if the Viper has the same kind of retainer set up? There is a Tremec tranny group purchase going on at Corral.net, hopefully I can get a good price on a Viper spec T56.

jtfx6552

Established Member
With all of the problems the 03 trannies are having, I think I will be getting the Viper version for my car. From what I hear I shouldn't have to worry about anything with that tranny. Do you know if the Viper has the same kind of retainer set up? There is a Tremec tranny group purchase going on at Corral.net, hopefully I can get a good price on a Viper spec T56.

The only problem I see is what to do for a blowproof bellhousing??

JT

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Not sure if its the same retainer or not my guess would be not. maybe checkout or troll some viper sites. If there is a problem someone on there would have posted about it by now. Vipers have been around alot longer than 03 Cobras. or call Tremec just to be safe. I forsee a viper trans or some sort of after market 6 speed in my cars future.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My dealer says the '03 Cobra TOB, uses 1997 -2003
TOB pieces.Says its the same part all these years.

Dave07997S

Established Member
TOB pieces.Says its the same part all these years

Actually its the same virtually from 85 on up as this is when the T5 was used in the car with the same issues. Even when they went to the T45 they carried over the same TOB. Its really not the TOB, the TSB replaces the TOB with supposedly a newer design that allows more sufficient lubrication. The 93-95 Cobra used a steel retainer as well as a tapered TOB, and my 93 and 95 Cobra never had this issue. It wasn't until I got the 98 Cobra that at 7.5K,10K and the last one at 13K when I finally ditched the POS that the car comes with and went with a adjustable clutch cable and firewall adjuster. I sold the 98 Cobra when it ha 25K miles on it when I bought my M3 and it didn't make a peep. This was with the Ford TOB. You know its an adjustment issued because why when you just barely rest your foot on the clutch the noise goes away, its because you took up the slack. I have to say this was one of the reasons I sold my Cobra that along with it blowing blue smoke on startup every once in awhile, it would idle high for some strange reason until I shut the car down, then it would be fine. You take it to the dealer and they don't get paid to diagnose so they don't put any time into it. I just sold my M3, and was considering a 04 Competition Orange Cobra and I am starting to reconsider again. I see alot of the same problems on this board as I did when I had my 98 Cobra. Its not as if other makes don't have their problems, they do, but to have the same problems year after year its a little disheartning. The hp is just so tempting. You invest 1200.00 in a M3 exhaust system you at best get 5-7rwhp. You got to shell out 5K in mods to get just 30rwhp. Granted its a already fine tuned 3.2L I6 making 333hp, which is 101.3hp per litre N/A. Man $1200 in mods on a 03+ SVT and you are hauling..: ) Dave.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by KenCobra03
TOB pieces.Says its the same part all these years.

It's not. Dealer told me the same thing, and I actully had him send me the part. It was the TOB retainer for the T-5 or T-45 (not sure), which is a bolt in piece and is WAY different than the T-56 TOB retainer.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Since this poll has been resurrected from the dead, I thought I would mention that recently LDC Chicago has released our clutch freeplay correction kit to help eliminate pedal slop in cars with aftermarket adjusters and quadrants. A fringe benefit to the $14.95 kit is that with a properly adjusted clutch our kit keeps the TOB off the pressure plate fingers which should help extend the life of the TOBs greatly. The kit was designed by Dana. www.ldcchicago.com

1FastFord

Established Member
how do you know if the tob is bad? I have a loud squeeling noise when I have the clutch in but it stops when it is out. I have had problems with sqeeling idlers before so I am just trying to figure out if it is that or something else.

davbrucas

Banned
1FastFord said:
how do you know if the tob is bad? I have a loud squeeling noise when I have the clutch in but it stops when it is out. I have had problems with sqeeling idlers before so I am just trying to figure out if it is that or something else.

your retainer is toast....mine does the same...

1FastFord

Established Member
would this be my problem if I have no problem shifting or anything? I only here the noise from a stop and if you press the clutch in and keep it in? The car drives fine.

davbrucas

Banned
1FastFord said:
would this be my problem if I have no problem shifting or anything? I only here the noise from a stop and if you press the clutch in and keep it in? The car drives fine.

a problem shifting would be clutch failure...your TOB and retainer are toast. mine shifts fine, but makes all kinda noise in the process...just replace it all and have some piece of mind.

HotSonicBlue03

VNOMISS
Established Member
I see you guys talking about the tob noises and in the past couple weeks iv'e been noticing this noise and iv'e taken it to ford before i had an idea of what it was and ofcourse it didnt make a sound when they had it. BUT its not a squeel.....its sometimes when i start the car it makes a loud ticking and as soon as i let off the clutch OR keep it in all the way it stops, it also will do it slightly when im slowing down like in second and i touch my foot on the clutch i can hear it ...then i press it in and it goes away. fords tellin me it would be a squeel if it was the tob retainer sleeve. what do u think?

Last edited:

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
So, what is the best TOB and Retainer? My dealership will replace them for me under warranty and I will be doing it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread