Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

hurtindude

Banned
I have the steeda clutch quadrent kit and firewall adjuster. It is presently sitting in a box on my floor right next to me. After reading how everyone who installed it no longer has any problems with the TOB, i can say it will be going in very very soon.

optx002

Established Member
well i brought my car in for the carpet recall. I told them about my tob squeeking at startup. I believe i mentioned this to them 2 previous times but they never did anything about it. This time, they are giving me a new clutch and tob. I have a steeda quick release quadrant and fiiore adjuster. they havent given me a problem about that yet, but they are still waiting on parts. So they probably havent taken apart my car yet. They should be getting the parts in tom, ill just have to wait and see if they call me and b*tch about my aftermarket parts. Good luck guys.

optx002

Established Member
got my car back today. boy does this clutch pedal feel like butter compared to my old leg workout of a clutch. i almost liked the workout the old clutch gave me. the dealership didnt say anything about my aftermarket clutch quadrant and adjuster. now its just the painful process of breaking in my clutch and not tearing up the roads.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I had my throwout bearing replaced in my clutch system. It had some bad bearings and a placce in CA just pulled it apart and put new bearings in it for me $(40), took the sound level down a bit. There was never any squeeling or hissing sounds. My clutch system is a bit different though, its a Tilton 7.25" triple disc racing clutch which is not stock to any mustang. Hope that helps.

etfhb

Established Member
optx002 said:
well i brought my car in for the carpet recall. I told them about my tob squeeking at startup. I believe i mentioned this to them 2 previous times but they never did anything about it. This time, they are giving me a new clutch and tob. I have a steeda quick release quadrant and fiiore adjuster. they havent given me a problem about that yet, but they are still waiting on parts. So they probably havent taken apart my car yet. They should be getting the parts in tom, ill just have to wait and see if they call me and b*tch about my aftermarket parts. Good luck guys.

how many miles on your car

reaper30

Established Member
My tob is also making a loud high pitch squeel all the time unless the clutch is pushed in. Should i replace jus the tob or jus get a whole new clutch kit?

merp

Captain Insane-o
Established Member
2003 'vert, build date 01/03, TOB started squealing like a slipping belt at 20k. Dealer replaced under warranty. Only made noise when the clutch was engaged (depressing the pedal made it stop, but probably not for much longer). Here's hoping the new one lasts longer than the last.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
mine has been squealing off and on, goes away when pedal lightly depressed, sometimes goes away if pull up on the pedal and let go.

what are other noises this TOB may make,? did someone say hissing?
Mine has been doing it for about 7k or so off and on, and recently more consistent.

I have an unused steeda adjuster and quadrant, will adding these help to re-adjust the TOB so the noise goes away or will this just apply constant pressure on it which will wear it down even quicker.

Last edited:

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
My 89 GT didn't make the noise, but had a steeda quadrant/adjuster.

My 00' GT's TOB started chirping at 15k - had the clutch replaced under warranty, and the issue never came back. *The tech adjusted the clutch cable free-play this time around, which resulted in the release point being higher, but it worked for the remaining 30k I owned the car.

Now the Mach: when I bought it (used w/ 20k on the clock) the TOB was dead quiet past 28k; that's when I took the car in for the 2nd gear clash TSB.. when I got the car back the TOB started chirping shortly thereafter. Since the clutch release point was slightly lower than before I took it in, I decided to adjust it myself. All I did was push up on the factory quadrant while holding down the 'adjusting hook piece' - this basically takes some slack out of the clutch and makes the release point a tad higher. The same result could be achieved by doing the Ford recommended adjustment method, but I found pulling up on the pedal wasn't causing the factory setup to change positions. After manually pushing the quadrant one tooth higher (or lower, depending on how you envision this) the TOB is dead quiet again. That's the cheapiest fix you can get!.. the next best alternative would be an aftermarket quad/adjuster but I was worried my extended warranty would be denied.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
concern about above method

I did the same thing in my 99 when it was making a chirping noise and the sound did go away, but....

doing this method above ^, doesn't this put even more stress on the TOB which will cause the sound to go away (kind of like putting foot on pedal) but will greatly increase the wear on it causing it to go bad even quicker?

I will try this again with my 03 and see if this works, it would not be bad having my clutch engage higher anyway, quicker shifts..

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
87whitevert said:
I did the same thing in my 99 when it was making a chirping noise and the sound did go away, but.... doing this method above ^, doesn't this put even more stress on the TOB which will cause the sound to go away (kind of like putting foot on pedal) but will greatly increase the wear on it causing it to go bad even quicker?

Since you also did this to your 99', what was the end result? Did your TOB ever go bad, or did it function as it should?

I've read some people say that improper adjustment can cause more TOB wear, but I've also read that as long as some freeplay remains in the clutch pedal (at least 1/2" or so), the TOB will be okay. Many people have solved their TOB issues with the use of aftermarket quad/adjusters, and this is basically the same thing - though not as precise. So long as you ensure the clutch cable still has some freeplay & the clutch doesn't slip under load, I believe this is a reasonable cure. Even if this method caused the TOB accelerated wear, is letting it chirp much different? I can't stand hearing the TOB make the chirp, so in the end I'd be replacing the bearing anyway.. and this solved the issue on my 00'GT for 30k+ miles, so I'm not going to worry about it.

*Btw, I observed an occasional lock-out on 2nd gear @ high RPM's after the gear clash TSB was done; since I "clicked" the quadrant, my shifts feel a lot smoother.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
todd4566 said:
Since you also did this to your 99', what was the end result? Did your TOB ever go bad, or did it function as it should?

well I sold it about 12k later but the TOB did not go bad in that time and the person I sold it to never said it went bad, but not sure how long he had it.

worked as it should and had no problems with getting into gear

Jon,,

Last edited:

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
87whitevert said:
well I sold it about 12k later but the TOB did not go bad in that time and the person I sold it to never said it went bad, but not sure how long he had it. Worked as it should and had no problems with getting into gear

Sounds good to me. :beer:

10th terminator

Established Member
I'm getting ready to replace my quardrant, clucth, TOB, pressure plate and convert to a 26 spline and solve the problem. I took my 03 cobra into D&D ford with the same TOB noise and they told me they didn't hear any noise like I was an fool. But if they would have replace the TOB or clucth it wouldn't have made much difference because the clucth sucks it's made by Valeo and the TOB is ford that holds together pretty good but is noisy.
Doesn't anyone have any info on the following clucth's: Center Force DF and the Spec Stage 2 Plus? Which ones the best?

Last edited:

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Hey guys, I just read this thread from start to finish and have a couple of questions.
I just recently picked up a 01 saleen with a t56 in it, and like many of you, have the noisey TOB problems. Its gotten so bad that the clutch pedal has started to vibrate on occasions. Since my car isnt covered under warrenty, what would be a good aftermarket fix for this problem? I already picked up a new TOB, and half of it is made of plastic....WTF is that about. Please point me in the right direction, as I just got out of the fox era and dont know much about these modulars and 6 speeds. Thanks

Mike

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
There are no '04 Terminator owners posting on this thread. Is this an '04 problem, too?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
99 KOBRA said:
There are no '04 Terminator owners posting on this thread. Is this an '04 problem, too?

The '04s had the revised retainer tube design. The early-run '03s didn't. I bought a low-mile '03 that didn't have enough miles to exhibit this problem. I didn't buy the extended warranty so I was stuck with the entire bill. I had the cooling mod put on at that time though so I sleep a little better at night.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
99 KOBRA said:

There are plenty 04's with this issue, its just that the issue has been beat to death, and the only answers have been "bandaids". Even those who have had the TOB TSB done which replaces the old TOB with the new TOB tube and entire front end of the tranny still have issues.

You need a sealed TOB and a strong TOB tube. Theres some kind of TOB (valero??) that some have been using lately, but its too new to tell if its a fix for the TOB portion of the issue. I have been testing a prototype TOB tube, and so far its working perfectly. A little more R&D to insure that its working correctly, and it should be good to go.

Last edited:

spray175

Established Member
This happened to me too. I posted but nobody responded. Mine makes the noise all the time and if i press the clutch in just a little bit it stops. Is it hurting the car or just making the noise? Its very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread