Tick issue

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely sounds like a part with out of tolerance issues and the additive is making up for it. The tick can be mistaken for so many other things. Mine was a shredded cam chain tensioner and it ticked as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
Maybe it’s just me but I still hear a noise,

some may be more quiet than before

I took a video of mine starting up

but cell phone quality of sound isn’t as quiet as in person,

but the sound behind the wheel on yours is what I still hear

I will post mine
Passenger wheel
Is quiet

Sajin

Established Member
Mine wasn’t a cold start vid, but I could make one of those as well. My last video was after adding the ceratec and taking like a 60 mile drive.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Mine wasn’t a cold start vid, but I could make one of those as well. My last video was after adding the ceratec and taking like a 60 mile drive.

in your video
First 20secs.
That knock noise.

Do a walk to the rear this time

When I was getting issues it was heard in the exhaust note.

when I get home next week I do a hot video.

I find using head phones helps with hearing noise

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I watched your video. Motor sounds pretty normal to me. I noticed the carpet runners in your garage. Is that to keep the inside carpet in your Cobra cleaner? Serious question.

Sajin

Established Member
I watched your video. Motor sounds pretty normal to me. I noticed the carpet runners in your garage. Is that to keep the inside carpet in your Cobra cleaner? Serious question.
Haha. No. That is just something the missis put down.

GoGreen04

Established Member
I have what seems to be the exact same noise coming from the same general area. I plan to have it looked at and let you know what they find. My motor was built by the same 2 guys as well! Pretty cool.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Haha. No. That is just something the missis put down.
LOL. I used to hate walking on my garage floor and often picked up concrete dust on my shoes, only to have it rub off on my car mats. Since having the floor coated, zero dust and it's like walking on an inside the house floor. Now, I'm really anal about keeping it clean. So seeing carpet runners in a garage really doesn't surprise me. LOL.

Sajin

Established Member
I have what seems to be the exact same noise coming from the same general area. I plan to have it looked at and let you know what they find. My motor was built by the same 2 guys as well! Pretty cool.
Interesting.

GoGreen04

Established Member
Interesting.

I wouldn't look at that as a negative thing. Jeff and Gary were the senior guys and still building on the Niche Line with the new 2020 GT500 Predator engines. They know what they're doing. I would have no hesitation buying a GT500 with one of their names on it. My ticking issue started a couple months ago after pulling it out of winter storage. I took it for a drive before changing the oil and that was my mistake. I didn't catch an oil leak coming from the oil cooler and threw 16-17 lbs of boost through the motor for some "spring fun." I noticed the oil level AFTER the noise started. Anyways, going to just rebuild the motor and have the peace of mind and also upgrade to 700+ hp.

Sajin

Established Member
I wouldn't look at that as a negative thing. Jeff and Gary were the senior guys and still building on the Niche Line with the new 2020 GT500 Predator engines. They know what they're doing. I would have no hesitation buying a GT500 with one of their names on it. My ticking issue started a couple months ago after pulling it out of winter storage. I took it for a drive before changing the oil and that was my mistake. I didn't catch an oil leak coming from the oil cooler and threw 16-17 lbs of boost through the motor for some "spring fun." I noticed the oil level AFTER the noise started. Anyways, going to just rebuild the motor and have the peace of mind and also upgrade to 700+ hp.
DOH. What got damaged?

GoGreen04

Established Member
I’m not sure until it gets opened up. I’m just going for a full rebuild anyways even if it’s something small that got damaged. Hopefully reliable 700+ is on the horizon

Sajin

Established Member
Just want to update this thread...

Tick is still gone. Used my aeroforce gauge to calculate net hp, and got 423 hp at 6000 rpm in 4th gear at an elevation of 700. 423 - 15% = 359.55 whp. Looks like the cobra is nice and healthy atm. =)

hotcobra03

Established Member

Tick is still gone. Used my aeroforce gauge to calculate net hp, and got 423 hp at 6000 rpm in 4th gear at an elevation of 700. 423 - 15% = 359.55 whp. Looks like the cobra is nice and healthy atm. =)
Glad to hear.

Is this stock still.?

I was invited for a dyno,run

Mine is stock
376 rwhp.

Have a predator hand held ,
Performance tune came out 408/410

I recently did a 4lb lower, this made the car more responsive with granny driving

Sajin

Established Member

Tick is still gone. Used my aeroforce gauge to calculate net hp, and got 423 hp at 6000 rpm at an elevation of 700. Looks like the cobra is nice and healthy atm
Glad to hear.

Is this stock still.?

I was invited for a dyno,run

Mine is stock
376 rwhp.

Have a predator hand held ,
Performance tune came out 408/410

I recently did a 4lb lower, this made the car more responsive with granny driving
Yes, 100% stock.

Sajin

Established Member
Well turns out the oil additive that I added to the oil isn't the cure for the tick that I have. The noise seems to go away, and come back on its own at random. I've had it completely disappear for a month only for it to reappear the following month. Compression and leakdown tests passed as well as oil pressure tests.

Valve stem deflection aka head tick? 03/04 COBRA HEAD TICK Explained by STIEGEMEIER

That's gotta be what I have, but how does the issue just come and go as it pleases?

Here is what it sounds like now... IMG_0330.MOV (tick tick tick, tick tick tick, tick tick tick, tick tick. Then it repeats from the beginning.) Sounds best when played on a cell phone speaker with the volume maxed. On my computer headphones I have to set the equalizer settings as follows to hear it best with the volume turned up...

awawawawa.png

Currently it isn't making the noise, but that is what it sounds like when it comes back.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is definitely strange that it will go away completely for maybe a month, and then return for a short time.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I do recall reading on another site,
The chain tensioner on passenger side cam to cam..

There maybe another option on this part,
Which is fairly new information,

Timing chain guide pin and main chain adjusters has been issues that have been there long ago ,

Users who are viewing this thread