tick/knock noise

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Hey guys, Need some hlep with this. I have a tick/knock sound coming from the front of my 03 Cobra. My friends and I are pretty good with our hands but no one seems to know where this noise is coming from. Its not a rod knock. The sound only appears under light load while I'm in gear or if I'm not in gear and barely give it steady throttle i can hear it at about 2K RPMs. We have checked the exhaust and we are about 95% sure its not coming from there. Some of the theories is a wrist pin on the piston, one of my pulleys, timing chain or again the chance it may be the exhaust. The car has 70K miles on it and in great shape. I'm running full synthetic 5W30 oil. I dont want to randomly take it to some garage and they say oh is the motor or something and get ripped off. Any type of advice or if anyone has experienced this would be great.
Thank you!!!:beer:

Sagittaria

Established Member
Tick under load is almost always a header/manifold leak at the heads.

FRPP Gaskets with Copper sealent and locking stage 8 bolts are in order.

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Awesome! Thank you. I forgot to mention it only does it when its warmed up too. I'm still a little new to the Cobra scene but I sure love it!

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Is it coming from driver side head?

It actually sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Right now I've had a couple guys say its the lower crank pulley, So i ordered another one, but I've never heard a pulley do this.
What were you thinking?

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
It actually sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Right now I've had a couple guys say its the lower crank pulley, So i ordered another one, but I've never heard a pulley do this.
What were you thinking?

I was thinking it could be a head tick. There are some cases where some cars developed head tick on the passenger side head also:shrug:

Last edited:

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
snake, thanks buddy, I'm going to look into it but i just lost my clutch today on the side of the road. FML... I've got a guy that says he'd give me a lower blower pulley for 150 shipped. I'm going to change that and see what it is. It doesnt sound like the head tick everyone is talking about but I'm still new to this. Thanks again and if you know anyone with some clutch parts let me know lol.....

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
snake, thanks buddy, I'm going to look into it but i just lost my clutch today on the side of the road. FML... I've got a guy that says he'd give me a lower blower pulley for 150 shipped. I'm going to change that and see what it is. It doesnt sound like the head tick everyone is talking about but I'm still new to this. Thanks again and if you know anyone with some clutch parts let me know lol.....

That sucks you're clutch went out. What kind of clutch are getting now. IMO Mcleod twin disk rxt is the best clutch. May be you should look in that. Also about the noise, did you unhook the blower belt, run the engine to see if the noise goes away? Doing this will take the load off the lower pulley bearing.

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
That sucks you're clutch went out. What kind of clutch are getting now. IMO Mcleod twin disk rxt is the best clutch. May be you should look in that. Also about the noise, did you unhook the blower belt, run the engine to see if the noise goes away? Doing this will take the load off the lower pulley bearing.

I didn't think about pulling the belt. Thanks!!! I'll give that a shot. IDK what clutch I'm getting just yet. I know I'm grading to the 26 spline. I've been on Promotion clutches and looking at their package deals. I've heard good things about them so I might see what they recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread