Tick question, Please help

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I have a first run 03 with 40,000 mile, I just took the car in for a ticking noise, but feel it's a rod bearing rather than the head tick. Is the head tick preasent at idle?? Mine starts at about 1800 RPM and is present throughout the RPM band. Also, if I let off the gas the tick goes away. The dealership I am dealing with is awesome, and I don't want to be a person that tells people how to do their job, but I will really besurprised if this is the head tick.
Any thoughts from those who have had the tick??? :shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From posts on this subject I am pretty certain the head tick is heard at idle.

adrenaline rush

Established Member
The head tick is present at all times. Make sure you get that checked. My car is still getting repaired from that since it was the cause of grenading my engine. If you give me your VIN I can tell you if Ford replaced your head according to the TSB.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, it is definitely present at non-idle speeds. It's just easier to hear at or near idle.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
My car is still at the dealership, they are performing the head swap now. I just wish they would do a burn check of the oil to look for bearing material in the oil. I am convinced it is another problem, they didn't eventry to troubleshoot, they just pulled the engine and removed the head.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
On your own you can have the oil analyzed. There are a couple of companies that do it for a small, reasonable fee.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Just pull the oil filter and cut it open. Look inside for bearing material. It will be very easy to see. You can usually see it in the oil too...the oil will kind of have a metalflake appearance when held to the light.

Users who are viewing this thread