Tick Tick.....BOOM

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
So the '13 decided it didn't like the oil that suddenly blew through the oil seal on one of my turbos at 7000rpm and 13psi and expressed its disdain for it by bending a rod, snapping it, and pushing the rest of it out the side of the block.

So decisions must be made.

I've accepted I'll miss the Texas Mile this fall as I won't have it ready in time, but getting it ready in time for TX2K18 is more than feasible.

So.......

I have 4 options:

1) Get a used stock short block and get the MMR2000 short block later down the road
2) Get a new stock short block and then the MMR2000 block later down the road
3)Get a MMR 900whp block and then the MMR2000 block later down the road

I'm leaning toward the 900hp block since I could sell it later down the road to finance the 2000hp block.

Last edited:

Gruca

Established Member
Is getting a used stock short block and building it with forged internals an option?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Is getting a used stock short block and building it with forged internals an option?
I did look at that option and after adding up the cost, it would come out to about the same investment as the 900hp block

basspro302

Established Member
How much power are you making?
You can get a 2015+ short block from tasca for 2k and it has boss rods

vortecd

Established Member
Think I would ditch the turbo's also since this isn't your 1st post about blown seals

vortecd

Established Member
I would also do the '15 short block if it is temporary. You can use your broken stuff as a core

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Think I would ditch the turbo's also since this isn't your 1st post about blown seals
Believe me, I'm seriously considering other manufacturers at this point.

Since there is no damage to them this time, I'm thinking of rebuilding them with the TurboLab upgrade and selling them to finance a different brand since I'll need larger ones anyway to support the new power goal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely and seriously consider a different turbo setup. The seal issue would make me more than a bit nervous going forward. No sense throwing good money away should you have another seal issue that leads to another motor rebuild. I wish you the best with your motor rebuilt choice. Sounds like you're leaning towards the MMR900 option.

cb900f

Established Member
I'd do a 15 short block, you can get nearly all your money back out of it.

Holler if you need some help. I'm in Fulshear and this is my 3rd motor.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Definitely and seriously consider a different turbo setup. The seal issue would make me more than a bit nervous going forward. No sense throwing good money away should you have another seal issue that leads to another motor rebuild. I wish you the best with your motor rebuilt choice. Sounds like you're leaning towards the MMR900 option.
That is actually under consideration. I figure I can sell the ones I have and go with a different brand.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I would also do the '15 short block if it is temporary. You can use your broken stuff as a core

I'd do a 15 short block, you can get nearly all your money back out of it.

Holler if you need some help. I'm in Fulshear and this is my 3rd motor.

This actually seems like it might be the way to go for now.

....and would let me go ahead and get the Powerglide in before TX2K18.

Now to sort out the whole turbo issue...

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I think I'll go with the '15+ block for now.

I've been thinking of putting a video series together with some how-to stuff in it. A lot of guys get upset when they are told to drop the engine out the bottom because they "don't have a lift", not realizing that you don't need a lift to drop it out the bottom. So, I really want to do a complete video series on that.

That, and videos of installing opgs, crank sprocket, head removal and installation, etc.

Pretty much, something to give me an excuse to take my sweet time.

Reaper14

Established Member
Go for it, that would be great. I'll be one of the ones watching them. Doing most of what you just metioned soon & I'm no mechanic but also plan on doing it all except for tuning it myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread