Time for a new laptop. What to get?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Less than 2 months into having my new HP laptop, it shits the bed. I should have bought another Lenovo. Friday, it turned itself off & won't turn back on. My guess is power supply. So now I have to send it back to HP for them to steal my personal files & data that I have on it.

Anyone know where I can buy HP part# 858-021-001 in the US?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have you considered Linux? Windows XP and Windows 7 are popular with many PC users, but they're aging, so Linux might be a good choice for you if you don't want Windows 8 or Windows 10.

I just bought my wife a MacBook Pro Retina 13" (same as mine) but the largest drive they offer is a 1TB. I chose Apple over a PC because I'm tired of having to deal with sluggish PCs after a couple of years of use. I had to re-install the OS on my 3 year old office PC last month, and my wife's 4 year old PC here at the house is sluggish to the point where it, too, needs a clean install. On the other hand, I've been using my MacBook Pro Retina for 3 years and it's as fast today as it was the day I bought it. No issues! Might not be the latest and greatest hardware, but dang, it's solid and just WORKS.

Last edited:

bglf83

Established Member
Check out the Dell refurbished store and the HP business outlet.

They both run specials. Dell often has coupons.

I have purchased from both and the products have been in new condition.

For me it's hard to beat an HP Elitebook 840 G2 with a docking station. HP and Dell do not have a bunch of bloatware on their business stuff.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Been using my Surface Book for work for a year now. I have several customers using them as well. I'd recommend one to anyone that needs a professional grade notebook. Since it's a Microsoft product, the only thing that comes installed is Windows - nothing else.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Check out the Dell refurbished store and the HP business outlet.

They both run specials. Dell often has coupons.

I have purchased from both and the products have been in new condition.

For me it's hard to beat an HP Elitebook 840 G2 with a docking station. HP and Dell do not have a bunch of bloatware on their business stuff.

Second this. I got my 12xps business notebook from dell outlet for 1k then added a 25% off coupon. At the time the spec new came in at 1700. Check dell hp and Levono outlet sites for the best deals.

bscarberry

Established Member
I just picked up the Lenovo Yoga 900 and it's pretty bad ass. It's really light weight and versatile. I definitely like having a touch screen on my laptop. It won't meet your memory needs (only goes to 512 GB), but an external hard drive can take care of that.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
If you need a powerful laptop I like the Asus ROG series. it's a gaming computer, but it'll handle just about anything you can throw at it. Mine came with a 1TB HDD and I added a 1TB SSD to it since it had 2 slots. I now run everything off of the SSD and it boots in 12 seconds from complete power off. Including typing in my password.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Second this. I got my 12xps business notebook from dell outlet for 1k then added a 25% off coupon. At the time the spec new came in at 1700. Check dell hp and Levono outlet sites for the best deals.

I'm trying to keep this under $600. I've never spent $1k on a computer & don't plan to start now lol

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out refurnished HP Elitebooks; that is their business line. You should easily be able to find one in your budget. Go with 8gb ram and the largest SSD you can afford. That will be more than adequate for what you need. If it doesn't have enough storage, buy a 2TB external HD.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Check out refurnished HP Elitebooks; that is their business line. You should easily be able to find one in your budget. Go with 8gb ram and the largest SSD you can afford. That will be more than adequate for what you need. If it doesn't have enough storage, buy a 2TB external HD.

This or go mac

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I just got a Dell 2-1 laptop and its amazing. For right around $500 its perfect for what i plan on using it for which was facebook/youtube/word while sitting around with my wife or taking it on trips. Itunes runs flawlessly and it can store a ton of pictures and videos.

Another that i would consider and i will probably use them for my next gaming rig is ibuypower.com. They have great builds for a good price. You can customize just about anything you want from basic to absolutely wild. Check them out.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Dell, HP, or Lenovo. All three companies offer good support, and have a wide variety of machines to choose from. If you aren't gaming, I suggest a Gen 6 Intel i5 or i7, 8bg+ RAM, and your choice of either SSD or high capacity rotational. You can choose between 15 inc and 17 inch models as well. Out of the 3 manufacturers, Dell is easily above the rest. Their support is unparalleled.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm trying to keep this under $600. I've never spent $1k on a computer & don't plan to start now lol

I did not tell you based on my purchase price but to show you the discount that could be had on good quality component computers. This case being 60% off.

Exactly what I did. Being notebook moving around maybe being nocked over I did not want moving parts or it running hot or slow. I got the ssd hard drive and with that and being at 12 inch business drove up the price. But with 2/3 tb hd out for 100 or so extra space is a non issue.

This or go mac

mac for 600? Haha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dell, HP, or Lenovo. All three companies offer good support, and have a wide variety of machines to choose from. If you aren't gaming, I suggest a Gen 6 Intel i5 or i7, 8bg+ RAM, and your choice of either SSD or high capacity rotational. You can choose between 15 inc and 17 inch models as well. Out of the 3 manufacturers, Dell is easily above the rest. Their support is unparalleled.

That is true if you buy on their business side.

Users who are viewing this thread