Time for a new laptop. What to get?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I personally have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14. Refurbished examples are around 850 to 950 a pop, but I got lucky a year ago and I found a refurbished example for 632 bucks. All through Amazon, so I wasn't worried about being scammed. Still humming great to this day, including several Win10 updates (delivered with Win8).

1TB hybrid drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT940M (about mid-high for notebook graphics) combined with a built-in Intel 5200 HD graphics. HDMI out that works great with a 4K monitor, and touch screen (which I will never buy a laptop without it ever, now).

I'm a software developer so I'm pretty hard on my machines, and this one's been good to me so far (though most of my work happens on my work-supplied Dell).

Arrickh

Established Member
If it doesn't need to move you should definitely get a desktop and build it yourself. It's really easy just like legos. I just helped a friend build one for $450 where one with similar specs would've costed around 1000-1100. I know you said laptop so again only if you don't need it to move and have probably 3-4 hours to build it and install the os. Then you can get a key from reddit microsoftsoftwareswap for around $20 or just do linux like the guy above said. If you tell me what all it needs to do I could even put together a part list for you. If storage is your main concern and you need a laptop I'd probably do like the guy above said and get a cheaper laptop with an external hard drive.

Never_Enough

Established Member
If it doesn't need to move you should definitely get a desktop and build it yourself. It's really easy just like legos. I just helped a friend build one for $450 where one with similar specs would've costed around 1000-1100. I know you said laptop so again only if you don't need it to move and have probably 3-4 hours to build it and install the os. Then you can get a key from reddit microsoftsoftwareswap for around $20 or just do linux like the guy above said. If you tell me what all it needs to do I could even put together a part list for you. If storage is your main concern and you need a laptop I'd probably do like the guy above said and get a cheaper laptop with an external hard drive.

I'm looking for 1 laptop to replace my desktop & laptop so it will need to move.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
a2edb615094b5a12af400c2317d7db8a.jpg

Perfect for you...

Never_Enough

Established Member

bglf83

Established Member
Look at a Dell or HP refurbished laptop. Hard to be an HP Elitebook 840 G2 as stated on the previous page.

Machdup1

Established Member

What apps will you run?

Is ultra thin/portable important?

Do you want it to support a docking station?

How many monitors do you want the dock to support?

Is touch screen/tablet important to you?

What kind of warranty do you expect (1-3 Years)?

Do you envision needing more drives or RAM?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Outlook, work programs, excel, Firefox, etc will all be open & used at the same time.
Ultra thin is not important.
Docking station option would be nice, but not needed
2 monitors (1 being HDMI)
Touch screen would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I would like a backlit keyboard if possible.
Warranty isn't important
I don't see needing more than the 8GB RAM or more drives it will come with. I have external HDs already.
What apps will you run?

Is ultra thin/portable important?

Do you want it to support a docking station?

How many monitors do you want the dock to support?

Is touch screen/tablet important to you?

What kind of warranty do you expect (1-3 Years)?

Do you envision needing more drives or RAM?

Machdup1

Established Member
Outlook, work programs, excel, Firefox, etc will all be open & used at the same time.
Ultra thin is not important.
Docking station option would be nice, but not needed
2 monitors (1 being HDMI)
Touch screen would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I would like a backlit keyboard if possible.
Warranty isn't important
I don't see needing more than the 8GB RAM or more drives it will come with. I have external HDs already.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-omen-laptop-(156)-v7g16av-1

Never_Enough

Established Member
Looks like it's going to be Lenovo or HP. I've got it narrowed down to a few
Lenovo Yoga 710
Lenovo Ideapad 510 or 700
Lenovo Flex 4 (15")
HP Omen 15t or 17t
HP Pavilion 17t
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible

Having a hard time picking one. Touch screen is nice, but don't really care at this point if something has everything except for that.
Backlit keyboard is a must
Obviously, I'm looking at 15" or 17" screen @ 1920x1080 & 8 GB RAM
Has to have an HDMI port. Would be nice if it has a MiniDP as well.
Looks like the i5 6200 is about the same as the i7 6500 so I don't care which one it has.
Current laptop has 1 TB HD that is mostly full so a large HD would be nice. Dn't really want to have to worry about an external sitting on my lap w/the laptop

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Just ordered the HP Pavilion 17t. Added the 128GB SSD to the 1 TB HD. Thank you everyone that offered input. :)

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
I've been using the Asus G series laptops for years now and they are solid and very cost effective. Definitely worth a look.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Less than 2 months into having my new HP laptop, it shits the bed. I should have bought another Lenovo. Friday, it turned itself off & won't turn back on. My guess is power supply. So now I have to send it back to HP for them to steal my personal files & data that I have on it.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Less than 2 months into having my new HP laptop, it shits the bed. I should have bought another Lenovo. Friday, it turned itself off & won't turn back on. My guess is power supply. So now I have to send it back to HP for them to steal my personal files & data that I have on it.

Sorry to hear, man.

For perspective, the refurbished Lenovo Yoga I bought last March is still great, and so is the refurbished Asus Q302LA touchscreen I bought in August of 2015. And the Asus is pretty abused by my sons as the machine they play games on.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is why I moved away from PCs. It seemed like they were too unreliable anymore, I was getting on average 2 years before a major loss would happen that made it pointless to repair so I would pony up and buy another one.

So far the only great computers I've owned have been the ones I had built custom and so far, my Mac. Which, if it's anything like most of my friends, it should still be running well in 5-8 years.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Sorry to hear, man.

For perspective, the refurbished Lenovo Yoga I bought last March is still great, and so is the refurbished Asus Q302LA touchscreen I bought in August of 2015. And the Asus is pretty abused by my sons as the machine they play games on.
I'm posting from my Lenovo laptop that I bought new in 2012. The latches to open & close this thing don't work right anymore, but what matters still works fine.

Machdup1

Established Member
I went with a Surface Pro 4, docking station and three 24" monitors.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I broke my lenovo. Bought it new last year ($400 best buy exclusive), and I had dropped it, seriously damaging the charge port and charge cable. I replaced the charge port and cable, and the laptop still won't charge. Something else must have broken. It worked fine after I dropped it, it just didn't charge.

I'll probably end up buying a refurbished unit in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread