Time for a new mod, speakers questions???

FordFanStan

Established Member
Before I re-install some painted panels behind the cage, I want to put in some new speakers. I just need the rears right now so I can get this done, the fronts can be done at a later time, but I want a matching set. So question is have any recommendations? 5x7 or 6x8?

I don't have any of the rest of my stereo planned out, no subs, amps, deck , etc. So open to all brands at the moment. I'm thinking some JL Audio, Inifinty, or Polk possibly? I dont want to rob a bank to have to get them, but I don't want some cheapies I'll be having to replace since it is a bitch to get these panels in and out behind the cage!

AZ ERIK, Kryo, and stereo nuts? TIA! FFS

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
my rears and doors are Infinity Kappas in the 6x8 flavor...however they have a large cone and look bigger than they are. They are dumping a paltry 100w@2ohms per channel. I wanna say they are Kappa 682.9CF's but im not 100% sure right this second brother.
My sub is a 10in Fosgate Power series sub...which is not to be confused with the punch crap lol. and my amps are both Fosgate power series amps.
My 500w monoblock is tossing out 752 and my 400w multichannel is 520ish i think it was :)
and for this truck the thing is way too god damned loud...Ive not been able to do 75% or above volume inside the truck.

and my head unit and cd changer are JVC...ive been a fan of their stuff for years.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Hey hey now, thats all in the works lol just a whole bunch more months without running water, electricity, gas, cable, etc I wont be on the boards for a long time lol...

todd abbott

Established Member
I have Boston Acoustics and have been happy with them, IMO the JL, Infinity's, MB Quarts would also make a nice upgrade in quality and sound, speakers are very selective-what sounds good to one sound so so to another. Another thing to consider is the rears by there OEM placement fire right into the seat, which is going to cut your volume down and hurt sound quality.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I am thinking JL Audio so far, just because I am a big fan of the amps, and I' so dang picky I want almost want everything to match brand wise, (like my tires it's hard for me to run different brands up front and out back, partial OCD? lol), so once I get subs and amps I was leaning towards JL Audio?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, FFS

FordFanStan

Established Member
Does anyone else insist on going with all the same brands?

02SilverBullet has some JL Audios in his truck and I have listened to them many times, and I don't think they sound bad, but I'm no audio music professional by any means lol.

Maybe I should go with different brands?

castellscl

Established Member
To be honest, you want some strong mids..
And to be even more honest, unless you are an audiophile it's not gonna matter too much what brand you go with. Of course unless you are trying to blow out your windows and still have nice crisp sound mids, and highs, but that's BIG $$$$.

Personally, If you like the way a particular brand's amps look and you are going to be seeing them in your truck, then I'd just stick with that brand.

Me, I've got a Pioneer (mids and highs) and a JL (subs) amp. My Head unit is a Pioneer Nav unit, and my speakers are FOCAL. They aren't the most expensive, but they have 0 distortion.

Don't go with walmart brand though you do get what you pay for. With electronics, the heavier it is, 9 times out of 10 the better it is.

todd abbott

Established Member
IMO brand matching comes into play for mid's and high's as well as amps, as for subs chose the brand you like same goes for head unit, JL across there product line is very solid.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Does anyone else insist on going with all the same brands?

02SilverBullet has some JL Audios in his truck and I have listened to them many times, and I don't think they sound bad, but I'm no audio music professional by any means lol.

Maybe I should go with different brands?

nope I mixed and matched on what I got to hear at my audio shop :)

A buddy of mine that does competition audio gave me one of his "test' CD's and the highs in this thing make my ears hurt lol.
But sound is soo subjective stan see if you can get to a shop thatll let you listen to each different speaker and choose from there :)

chrisheltra

Established Member
My setup:

2 jl audio 10" W6 subs
1 jl audio 1000 watt mono block
1 jl audio 300 x 4 mids and highs amp
2 6 1/2" infinity perfects in the doors
2 5 1/4 infinity perfect in the rear
1 pioneer AVH-P7600DVD 7" touch screen head unit
dynamat throughout

Installed by ME

Users who are viewing this thread