Time for a New Old Debate - Opinions on Aftermarket Ignition Coils?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This debate has been around for a long time. The general consensus has always been to stick with OEM coils. Aftermarket coils have long been considered a fools folly. However, what first hand experience is this opinion based upon? Has anyone here personally tried out a set of aftermarket coils? If so, what was your experience?

When you compare the cost of a new set of OEM Motorcraft coils to a set from a well respected brand like MSD you can see the appeal in going to aftermarket (I realize one set is 2V and the other is 3V, this is for illustrative purposes):

theparker

Established Member
Don’t have a Lightning,
but I have a Supercharged Marauder. I know it isn’t a Cobra but it is a built 4v. And I have MSDs which a lot of people say have issues but I personally beat the S*#t out of and don’t have any issues.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Because of this known issue/consensus;

[This past weekend] I just replaced my spark plugs for the second time with the OE/Motorcraft platinum's [SP-471]

This time around & since the originals are going on 16+ years, I installed new replacement OE/Motorcraft Coil-on Plugs

...................................................................................................................

Truck fires right up & purrs like-new again

4a7191a

Established Member
I've got msd's on my mach1 and lightning. Had one go bad and just replaced them all and saved the old ones after figuring out which one was bad.

4a7191a

Established Member
Unplugged individual coils til the miss was found.
Easy on the mach, not so easy on the lightning.
Lightning had front drivers side bad, mach was rear pass side

Dusten

Established Member
Travis I know a lot of the higher hp guys have moved over to weapon x with good results.

The failure rate reported of accel or msd is high enough I've stayed away. I went new oem a year ago.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
When I still had my Lightning I tried the MSD coils and didn’t have any issues. But I ended up back with the OEM ones just for the reliability piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread