time for a new "supercar" from Ford

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Seeing an updated Ford GT on the road and track would be fantastic!! I've had my doubts about Ford actually doing it, though. If the last chassis is good enough to serve as the basis for a Ferrari 458 beating super car...it could make sense. The car has significant world cred considering its Le Mans history. The Matech Ford GT1 (& GT3) was really popular in FIA GT racing a few years back. Only reason I watched. Ford is going to have to do it right and build it to win it...to preserve the history of the marque. It is going to be $$$$$$$$....certainly not a cost competitor to the C7.

How about a Corvette priced and competitive GR1? The new Mustang will be good, but I think there is a niche at this higher performance and price point.

Jefe

Established Member
Galpin made an attempt

http://galpinfordgtr1.com/

20140117_163146_zpsbdf34c5c.jpg

20140117_163126_zps7a70298f.jpg

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
They could reuse the gt frame with some tweaks and build a shelby cobra to compete against vettes and vipers.
They already have the trinity.

The FGT didn't meet regulations back in 2006 and it's further from meeting them now, it would take way more than a couple tweaks. From a pure business standpoint, it makes no sense...The market is slim, GM has a plastic 2 seater with a pushrod they've been improving on over the last 5 decades. They've found a great balance between production cost and performance to offer an unbeatable value. What can Ford do now in that price range and still turn a reasonable profit?

Ford lost money on the GT, and that cost a $150k. People don't appreciate superplastic-formed frames, aluminum body panels, roll-bonded floor panels, friction welded center tunnels, one-piece door panels, and other misc $$$$$ crap. They talk about how much money it costs and the results from Car & Driver.

The GT was a sophisticated enthusiast car that was just seen as an overpriced Ford that was barely as fast as a front engine plastic Corvette Z06 with a pushrod, leaf springs and a steering column from a Chevy Cobalt.

Seriously, buy a C7 Z06, don't wait for Ford.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Well, it's been coming up on 10 years since Ford introduced the Ford GT.. they need another "Halo" car.. what does everyone here think?

Ford_GT_High_Quality.jpg

Started a thread on this same subject, seemed no one was interested a few months ago.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-ford-make-the-another-super-car&highlight=In
regarding the GT,, hell I'd trade my Cobra and the Shelby in for one any day. Still an amazing achievement from Ford. Last year I got to drive one its a cool ride for sure, would be sick to have the trinity motor in it.

On a side note the only thing that would make me excited from Ford would be a super charged v8 with AWD period.

Last edited:
Ford has no intentions on bringing the GT , I see prices going farther and farther up , expect to pay over 220 for one .

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'd love to see the GR1 come to production. We're way overdue for a modern day Shelby Daytona Coupe!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Why. Ford isn't a supercar maker. They make super cars, sure, but they don't make supercars. Being that they don't focus on these kind of cars it's probably expensive AS HELL to R&D for one. Then you have the costs of machinery, etc to develop it. There are so many supercars out that they'd really have to do something spectacular and awesome to make any money from it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
They could do what GM does with the Corvette. Build it cheap. Make it perform. Price it low. Sell a ton of them.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
I agree with Wire that theres little motive for them to do so. I think they are smart offering the Cobra Jet though and if anything I would love to see a zr1 level gt500. A gt500+ if you will.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
How many Cobra Jets do they sell? Nobody cares about that car except Ford fans and drag racers; the majority of which aren't buying it, anyway. And it's certainly not cheap.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
The FGT didn't meet regulations back in 2006 and it's further from meeting them now, it would take way more than a couple tweaks. From a pure business standpoint, it makes no sense...The market is slim, GM has a plastic 2 seater with a pushrod they've been improving on over the last 5 decades. They've found a great balance between production cost and performance to offer an unbeatable value. What can Ford do now in that price range and still turn a reasonable profit?

Ford lost money on the GT, and that cost a $150k. People don't appreciate superplastic-formed frames, aluminum body panels, roll-bonded floor panels, friction welded center tunnels, one-piece door panels, and other misc $$$$$ crap. They talk about how much money it costs and the results from Car & Driver.

The GT was a sophisticated enthusiast car that was just seen as an overpriced Ford that was barely as fast as a front engine plastic Corvette Z06 with a pushrod, leaf springs and a steering column from a Chevy Cobalt.

Seriously, buy a C7 Z06, don't wait for Ford.

Haha peopled loved the Ford GT, and it beat the Ferrari 360 modena like it was built to. Overpriced Ford? $150,000? Hardly overpriced and most people can't afford that kind of car anyways. LOL at comparing it to a Corvette.

The Ford GT can still hold its own against the C7Z, ZR1, and Z06 today.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Haha peopled loved the Ford GT, and it beat the Ferrari 360 modena like it was built to. Overpriced Ford? $150,000? Hardly overpriced and most people can't afford that kind of car anyways. LOL at comparing it to a Corvette.

The Ford GT can still hold its own against the C7Z, ZR1, and Z06 today.
I think you mean F430. 360 Modena was nothing to brag about. As far as holding its own against the ZR1 and C7Z your flat wrong with your blinders on. C6Z yes but not the other 2.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0512_exotic_sport_coupes_comparison/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0506_exotic_coupes_comparison/

In a lot of those tests they speculated Ford was not sending stock cars as trap speeds varied by as much as 6mph from test to test. I actually had a subscription to Motor Trend from 99-09 and even Ford guys were questioning it and editors elaborated on it. Not hard to add a pound or 2 of boost on them.

I won't post tests for the ZR1 as it blows them all out of the water and the C7Z will beat that according to GM. I would still rather have the FGT but let's not get delusional here.

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I think you mean F430. 360 Modena was nothing to brag about. As far as holding its own against the ZR1 and C7Z your flat wrong with your blinders on. C6Z yes but not the other 2.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0512_exotic_sport_coupes_comparison/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0506_exotic_coupes_comparison/

In a lot of those tests they speculated Ford was not sending stock cars as trap speeds varied by as much as 6mph from test to test. I actually had a subscription to Motor Trend from 99-09 and even Ford guys were questioning it and editors elaborated on it. Not hard to add a pound or 2 of boost on them.

I won't post tests for the ZR1 as it blows them all out of the water and the C7Z will beat that according to GM. I would still rather have the FGT but let's not get delusional here.

Stock you are right, but modified??? By still holding it's own I mean that the Ford GT can still kick ass like the 03-04 cobra can today. I mean the Ford GT is a tune/pulley swap away from the ZR1. I'm still certain the C7Z isn't that far off either.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Well....here's the deal. If Ford is serious about Le Mans beyond just supplying engines for P2...they better come loaded for bear. They will be up against the C7R... the 458... and the new mid-engine Porsche in the works (8 cyl flat engine with dual turbos)!!! Do you think Ford would risk a big GT play if they thought they couldn't beat Ferrari and Porsche? Too much history to risk. It would have to be a seriously updated Ford GT...or stay home.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Well....here's the deal. If Ford is serious about Le Mans beyond just supplying engines for P2...they better come loaded for bear. They will be up against the C7R... the 458... and the new mid-engine Porsche in the works (8 cyl flat engine with dual turbos)!!! Do you think Ford would risk a big GT play if they thought they couldn't beat Ferrari and Porsche? Too much history to risk. It would have to a seriously updated Ford GT...or stay home.
Damn, porsche finally going with the big guns eh?
Holy moly, the sad part is if they ever put a v8 in a 991 it would be 120k for a base model. :(

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Stock you are right, but modified??? By still holding it's own I mean that the Ford GT can still kick ass like the 03-04 cobra can today. I mean the Ford GT is a tune/pulley swap away from the ZR1. I'm still certain the C7Z isn't that far off either.
Oh I definitely agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread