time for new slicks!

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
In the past i was running mt 28x12.50-16's et streets with mixed results. no tubes or screws. it seems they have got hard/have been heat cycled too much and dont hook well any longer. Not that they ever got be any real good 60"s to begin with. My truck is very low and the springs are stiff not really a drag race setup but i enjoy hitting the strip every once in a while.
so what slicks would you run? mostly 1/8 mile but the 1/4 less frequently

hoosier 28x10-16 -about $195 a tire- despite being spec'd smaller than the old mt's they actuall measure wider, also will i need tubes? the mt's i ran were spected for tubes also but often run without.

m&h 30x14-16- about $260 a tire- they are also spected for tubes, pre measured to match as a pair for rollout, should be a huge contact patch but they are a dot "cheater slick" and dont know how the compound compares. I am worried as tall as they are they might kill my 1/8 et's

what do you run? recomendations? rims i am using are the AR bajas 16x10"
engine is built, current street tune is only 13psi and made 474/513 on dmp's mustang dyno (545/590 dynojet approx), hi-po e85 low boost (30+hp), and e85 high boost tune (100+hp) in the works...

boss1984

boosted boss
Established Member
I use the MH cheater slicks with the exact same wheels u have. I cut 1.61 sixty foot with my first trip to the track. I made 616/701 eaton/spray combo. I didn't spray off the line, I'm going to next track day. I have 4:10 gears so I'm sure those tires will hurt yer 60ft a little.

Side note: I may be wrong here but I don't think the difference between those dynos will be a 70whp difference. More like 20hp or so if imagine

wytwolf

Established Member
I have the same wheels and the Hoosiers. Yet to make a pass on them, but hopefully soon. Where in SD?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
I use the MH cheater slicks with the exact same wheels u have. I cut 1.61 sixty foot with my first trip to the track. I made 616/701 eaton/spray combo. I didn't spray off the line, I'm going to next track day. I have 4:10 gears so I'm sure those tires will hurt yer 60ft a little.

Side note: I may be wrong here but I don't think the difference between those dynos will be a 70whp difference. More like 20hp or so if imagine

yeah i think with 3.73's they are a little tall unless i really turned up the wick.

as far as the dyno numbers its pretty common for a loaded mustang dyno to differ from a dynojet by about 15%, i have seem the difference first hand and from dante's dyno i made 426/534 on the old setup then the dyno shop in santee made 490/602 same tune and very similar weather. just the properties of how the dyno works, and how the computer calculates. imo dynos are a tuning tool, the numbers just give you an idea of change the dyno operator can skew numbers outragously easily also...

I have the same wheels and the Hoosiers. Yet to make a pass on them, but hopefully soon. Where in SD?

live in lakeside/east county area but im always all over the place.

Dusten

Established Member
Is this kyle?
I ran the Hoosiers on my silver lightning and had decent results, i blame most of the issues i had with that truck on the track, i never cut better than a 1.81 but also was only running a 4lb lower.
but if it helps, i plan to get another set of AR's and hoosiers for the new truck, next spring after i get my built DMP trans in it.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The width of the slick doesn't matter as much as the compound, construction and proper rim size.
I use to run the 14" wide Hoosier on a 12" wide rim the QTP slick and never cut better than a 1.6 60ft.
I went to a better slick and compound, Hoosier radial slick 15/30/10.5 C6 compound. Now I cut consistent 1.4 60 ft times.
If you try and run a 14" wide tread on a 10" wide rim the contact patch won't be right.
The center of the tire will be taking all the load. Giving a egg shaped tire patch. The result being less than average traction. The middle of the tread on the tire will eventually ware out from the improper rim size.
Mickey Thompson makes a P295/50R16 drag radial II that would be a perfect match for you set up. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII

Last edited:

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
Is this kyle?
I ran the Hoosiers on my silver lightning and had decent results, i blame most of the issues i had with that truck on the track, i never cut better than a 1.81 but also was only running a 4lb lower.
but if it helps, i plan to get another set of AR's and hoosiers for the new truck, next spring after i get my built DMP trans in it.

yeah, this is Kyle.

The width of the slick doesn't matter as much as the compound, construction and proper rim size.
I use to run the 14" wide Hoosier on a 12" wide rim the QTP slick and never cut better than a 1.6 60ft.
I went to a better slick and compound, Hoosier radial slick 15/30/10.5 C6 compound. Now I cut consistent 1.4 60 ft times.
If you try and run a 14" wide tread on a 10" wide rim the contact patch won't be right.
The center of the tire will be taking all the load. Giving a egg shaped tire patch. The result being less than average traction. The middle of the tread on the tire will eventually ware out from the improper rim size.
Mickey Thompson makes a P295/50R16 drag radial II that would be a perfect match for you set up. Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

i have a hard time believing that drag radial will out hook the hoosiers.
the 14" m&h is actually designed for a 10" rim so the contact patch is correct with it. actual measurements are closer to a 10" tread width.

i went ahead and ordered the hoosiers, we will see how they do.:burnout:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
yeah, this is Kyle.

i have a hard time believing that drag radial will out hook the hoosiers.
the 14" m&h is actually designed for a 10" rim so the contact patch is correct with it. actual measurements are closer to a 10" tread width.

i went ahead and ordered the hoosiers, we will see how they do.:burnout:
That MT DR I posted for you to use, is used on 7 second pro mod cars. And I have seen it cut 1.1 sixty foot times
What compound did you order the slick in?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
I really hope they hook better than my old et streets, i was quite disapointed with those from the get go. the best 60 i ever had even when they were new was a 1.81 but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread