Time to Build a “Fobra”?

danieljag1

Established Member
Going to catch a lot of crap on this one, but I don’t really care.

I’ve owned a 5.0 for years and I’m ready to get back into a new edge. Personally, I’d love to build my dream new edge. A lot of my build will imitate a Cobra. Drivetrain, some exterior, some interior going into a donor V6/GT chassis with a SRA most likely. I’ve got some custom plans, thus my reasoning for this build versus buying a Cobra.

Back in the day, buying a Cobra then modding was cheaper. But with current prices, it might be better to build my own. I enjoy the challenge and I’m excited about a project car.

My question and hesitation: am I over my head here? I understand a custom build can be a lengthy process with unexpected issues. Is that a reason I should reconsider?

MG0h3

Established Member
Depends on your skills.

Anything you want to do has been done before.

I’d def do a TT coyote/6R80 car

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto on "depends on your skills". How competent/experienced are you will powertrain/drivetrain builds?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thinking "out loud"...
People put Cobra body parts on non-Cobras all the time so I don't think you'd catch any flack. Front/rear bumpers, decklid, wheels...etc especially. Are you talking using a Cobra motor too? Like MGoh3 said, I'd think it'd be more bang for the buck to do a Coyote and whatever FI tickles your pickle. Don't they make Coyote swap/conversion kits nowadays? Could certainly help simplify the process if you're not set on building a motor. The only thing you'd catch shit for is if you stick Cobra emblems on it. Mixed opinions on that from what I've seen around here.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing you'd catch shit for is if you stick Cobra emblems on it. Mixed opinions on that from what I've seen around here.

X No GIF by 1 Play Sports

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I was going to say that as well.

There was a guy around here that Cobra swapped a V6. He did everything. Seats, dash, drivetrain, IRS, etc. I really don't think he was money ahead. No one really had a problem with it until he put the badges on and tried to pass it off as a real Cobra. He was called out at a local show on it.

I say build what you want. Just be honest about it when people ask.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Body parts are fine...leave the emblems off and don't represent it as something it isn't. The only people's opinion who matter are the ones who actually know the difference in the first place.

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
There's different levels of FOBRA though, just make it badass. NO 6 cyl, NO 2v, NO 3v, something 4v or coyote with some power

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Build what you like, enjoy it, if you want to make it look like a cobra, go ahead, it’s your car do what pleases you. Just don’t try to pass it off as the real deal unless it is. Be honest about it’s heritage. Check out “the Teal Terminator “ it’s a clone and a very well done one at that, no one seems to have an issue with the fact it started a a salvage V6 car

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
There's different levels of FOBRA though, just make it badass. NO 6 cyl, NO 2v, NO 3v, something 4v or coyote with some power

No not really though.
You sound like one of those people who think there are more than 2 genders.

It's either a Cobra, or it's not. It's pretty cut and dry.

PC03GT

Established Member
No not really though.
You sound like one of those people who think there are more than 2 genders.

It's either a Cobra, or it's not. It's pretty cut and dry.
Lol, it's a car not a woman with a ballsack

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned, do what you want. I don't even care if you put Cobra badges on it. Just don't lie and say it's a factory Cobra.

I'd skip the Coyote. F'n hate the way they sound.

Also, you'd still be far behind trying to build a factory clone (body, mirrors, sears, drive train) - so skip right past that and go for modded.

Hellcat pullouts have been "cheap". I'd love to see a 6.2 with a TR6060 dropped into a New Edge.

I've seen a few 2JZ swapped V6s.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It would be exactly just that actually. A woman's car (V6) with a Cobra drivetrain (some serious ballsack).

That's a hermaphrodite.

Can I put a V6 badge on my Cobra, drop down a few classes, claim to be N/A and start breaking records racing?

Fastest OEM Stock V6 in the world.....

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I don't understand the emblem thing, you can change the bumper covers, hood, grill, wheels, powertrain and no one cares but change the emblems and some folks have a shit fit! Emblems don't make it anything different. if you want emblems on your car, LMR has them all for less than $100.00. Go for it if you want to. As stated above, it's the VIN that makes it what it is and you can't change that. You can buy the real deal cheaper than you can build a clone in a lot of cases, ask me how I know....

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
I was part of the Fobra club for a while until I could afford a better car. Granted it wasn't a Terminator, but at a quick glance it resembled a 99 Cobra lol. Never passed it off as the real deal, was always honest with what it was.

It's your car, build it as you like. Don't build it for someone else, after all you're paying for it. One point you may want to consider is if you ever plan on selling it, its doubtful you will ever recoup close to what you have invested. With the real deal, sure its more money initially, but in the long run if you ever go to sell you will definitely come out way further ahead.
stang2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread