Time to Build a “Fobra”?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Getting all the actual cobra parts is going to be very costly. It’s all time and money. Build a bad ass car and enjoy it. Don’t build it for resale value. That is the only thing a cobra vin is actually good for. It will hold a higher value, no matter how good of a car you build.

danieljag1

Established Member
Woah! Loving all the good advice and honest thoughts here.

To cover some of the questions/thoughts:

-I'm no poser lol. Even if I slap cobra emblems on, I'm an honest guy. No faking this isn't a real Cobra. I'll be proud of the build.
-Definitely not going the coyote route. As somebody mentioned, I'm not a fan of the sound. I've always loved the 4.6.
-Yes, I'm planning to drop in a Cobra motor. Either a stock iron block or maybe the teksid just depending on cost/availability. Leaning towards iron though. I'm confident and competent in my skills, but I know when to seek professional help. Would definitely seek help building the engine I'm sure.
-This would be a long-term possession. No plans to sell it. I'm building it to be a permanent fun car.
-I appreciate the "who cares what other people think" responses. I feel the same way, just going through the motions of making this decision. I'd be selling my 2013 GT to fund this project. I'm not fully attached to the car, but enough to where I need to be absolutely positive before letting it go.

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member

-I'm no poser lol. Even if I slap cobra emblems on, I'm an honest guy. No faking this isn't a real Cobra. I'll be proud of the build.
-Definitely not going the coyote route. As somebody mentioned, I'm not a fan of the sound. I've always loved the 4.6.
-Yes, I'm planning to drop in a coyote motor. Either a stock iron block or maybe the teksid just depending on cost/availability. Leaning towards iron though. I'm confident and competent in my skills, but I know when to seek professional help. Would definitely seek help building the engine I'm sure.
-This would be a long-term possession. No plans to sell it. I'm building it to be a permanent fun car.
-I appreciate the "who cares what other people think" responses. I feel the same way, just going through the motions of making this decision. I'd be selling my 2013 GT to fund this project. I'm not fully attached to the car, but enough to where I need to be absolutely positive before letting it go.
I would also try to drive a Terminator before you pull the trigger. I have a 13 coyote with a blower and a Terminator and I can tell you they are worlds apart, it's something you need to experience on a personal level

Last edited:

danieljag1

Established Member
I would also try to drive a Terminator before you pull the trigger. I have a 13 coyote with a blower and a Terminator and I can tell you they are worlds apart, it's something you need to experience on a personal level
Good call! My good friend owns a Terminator and I drive it somewhat frequently. They are two very different cars, you're exactly right.

A lot of this comes from my love for the new edges and the 4.6 4V.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

-Yes, I'm planning to drop in a coyote motor. Either a stock iron block or maybe the teksid just depending on cost/availability. Leaning towards iron though. I'm confident and competent in my skills, but I know when to seek professional help. Would definitely seek help building the engine I'm sure.
HUH???? Confused.....:unsure::confused::unsure::confused:

As far as your original post. As someone who just spent 2 years building a car, I say if you have the skills, funds, determination and patience go for it. VERY rewarding when you build/create something. However, you have to have the determination and patience to keep pushing forward when you run into road blocks or set backs. Also, you need to realize that depending on what level you plan on going, it may take you some time to get this done. Are you willing to invest the amount of time needed? A lot of folks say yes up front, but when they honestly get into it that's when they realize they got in to deep and try to get rid of the project.

I'm in the "doesn't matter if you put badges on it or not" camp. I am also in the "be honest about what you created" camp. I have always said Mustangs are a dime a dozen and you need to do something to make it "your own."

Cobra owners do this by putting CCW's, carbon fiber pieces, different shifters and different supercharger combinations on their Terminators. Hell, I had my Terminator custom painted. No mistaking which Terminator is mine LOL.

So, my opinion is build what you want, put anything on it you want, but just be honest about what you built...........And if you decide to do this please make a build thread so we can check it out as you go........

FJohnny

Established Member
Alternative 1

You take some $ (call it $X) and buy the base car. You add around $3X to get parts and services to make it a finished car. You are into it for $4X and a large amount of time (T). Coincidentally, buying a terminator costs around $4X.

Pros - you end up with a great car that you love along with the satisfaction of having made it all happen.

Cons - slight possibility of ending with an unfinished project. When finished there is a chance that some, though not all, will think lacks a ballsack. (I think it has sack.)

Alternative 2

Take your time (T). Spend 3/4T working hard. Earn around $4X. Use the remaining 1/4T to learn Spanish.

You now have the original $4T plus the $4T you earned, or $8T total. Take this and buy both a coupe and a vert Cobra.

Pros - you now speak 2 languages and there is no confusion over ballsack issue.

Cons - very little feeling of personal pride and satisfaction except when you look in your garage.

Only you know what is right for you. Sounds like a great project no matter what you choose.

Wishing you good times and good choice.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Pretty much anyone can buy a Cobra, zero skills needed other than a bank account with sufficient funds. You will have a car that is exactly the same as the other 20,000 ish Factory cobras out there. The only difference is the paint. If you hold on to it long enough, it will appreciate in value as a “real” Cobra
If you decide you want to build one, you can do anything you want and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it the way you wanted it. It takes considerable skills to build a car, not to mention, time, tools and the space. It will cost you more to build one but you will know exactly what you have and you can alter it however you like without it effecting the value much. Building cars is not about the $$$ value, it’s about the satisfaction you get knowing that this car is built exactly how you want it to be. It will be a 1 of 1 car. There are a lot of us out here that think a car built properly with mods the owner installed himself is a much better car than the cars some guy with deep pockets bought new and parked in his garage to stare at. There are folks on this site with wrapper cobras that can’t even change their own oil but are willing to throw shade at the guy that wants to build a clone. I say build it, drive it, mod it as you like and to hell with those that don’t appreciate your work.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
There’s still decent 03-04s out there. I say just save what you can and buy the real thing. There’s no replacement for owning an authentic cobra.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Alternative 1

You take some $ (call it $X) and buy the base car. You add around $3X to get parts and services to make it a finished car. You are into it for $4X and a large amount of time (T). Coincidentally, buying a terminator costs around $4X.

Pros - you end up with a great car that you love along with the satisfaction of having made it all happen.

Cons - slight possibility of ending with an unfinished project. When finished there is a chance that some, though not all, will think lacks a ballsack. (I think it has sack.)

Alternative 2

Take your time (T). Spend 3/4T working hard. Earn around $4X. Use the remaining 1/4T to learn Spanish.

You now have the original $4T plus the $4T you earned, or $8T total. Take this and buy both a coupe and a vert Cobra.

Pros - you now speak 2 languages and there is no confusion over ballsack issue.

Cons - very little feeling of personal pride and satisfaction except when you look in your garage.

Only you know what is right for you. Sounds like a great project no matter what you choose.

Wishing you good times and good choice.
You’re a hoser, y’all don’t count.

muscleatsrice

Established Member
In the end it will probably cost the same if not more to build one. Except the cobra will have better resale value if you ever wanted sell down the road. With that being said, building a car is also an awesome experience. If you have the time, money and space go for it. Outside opinion’s don’t really matter, just do what you want!!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread