Time to Cook Steak?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I grill all the time too, and even use my cast iron on it with great results. I can cook steak about 10 different ways, all kick ass. Nothing wrong with skillet cooking if done right. Now if you slow "fry" one at like 300 degrees you'll have a shitty mushy greasy steak.

Branhammer

Established Member
I just turn my porch light on. Pretty revolutionary...

Where's the sense of accomplishment in that? If I didn't have to buy random shit and Lowe's to rig up something completely over-the-top and unnecessary, yet effective, I don't feel like I accomplished anything.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Jzl5n-GRIs4

Ive been doing my filets like this for a while. Less than 10 minutes and grape seed oil for a higher smoke point.

https://youtu.be/Jzl5n-GRIs4

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This. Smoke it or grill it.

Thomas...use a head-light. My brother has a pretty sweet LED setup on his grill and smoker.

Yeah but then id end up being the only idiot in the middle of winter (well, San Diego one) in the middle of my apartment complex grilling with a beacon on my head shining for everyone to see.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah but then id end up being the only idiot in the middle of winter (well, San Diego one) in the middle of my apartment complex grilling with a beacon on my head shining for everyone to see.

Only the first time they see your brilliance(zing!) in having steak whenever the F you want it, then everyone will be doing it!

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I would mostly agree, but ive gotten pretty good at stovetop skillet cooking lately. Though now that its nicer outside and stays light longer ill be heading back to the grill. Not a fan of grilling in the dark with a flashlight lol.
I have a flashlight with a wide beam for this purpose, lol. When it comes to grilling, no ****s given.
I'm not sharing.

While I have never personally cooked a steak on the stove, Gordan Ramsay would disagree. I wouldn't mind trying one of his lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEx9gPhtjzs

I did it that way with some bison steaks, and dear god was it good. I've tried making them before a few ways outside the grill and never been happy until I spent the money on a real skillet. Bit of a learning curve at first not to grab the handle, but only took one time to not forget, lol.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
A Traeger and a porch light get me by just fine. None of this steaks on the stove or standing out in the dark garbage - that's for suckers.

4a7191a

Established Member
I wait til my fire in my pit is looking just about right and I use a beer and cigarette timer. Open beer and drink,smoke. When beer is done flip.. Then repeat. Then done.

97snakebite

Established Member
For the record, any steak cooked on the stove is a ruined steak.

i disagree...i've been in a situation where ive ran out of propane for my grill and have to you the stove top/over method...its all about your instruments... i have a cast iron griddle pan and that combined with a over can be sometimes just as good as a grill.

madscotsman

Established Member
Do yourselves a favor if you haven't tried one already, and buy a flat iron steak to try. IMO they are 100x better than filet. I tenderize them with tenderizer and garlic powder, then put them in a marinade called "Dales" (Walmart, Kroger, Meijer) on each side for 15 minutes. Grill on high heat for 7 minutes per side then let sit for 10-15 minutes (on plate in microwave with door closed).

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Do yourselves a favor if you haven't tried one already, and buy a flat iron steak to try. IMO they are 100x better than filet. I tenderize them with tenderizer and garlic powder, then put them in a marinade called "Dales" (Walmart, Kroger, Meijer) on each side for 15 minutes. Grill on high heat for 7 minutes per side then let sit for 10-15 minutes (on plate in microwave with door closed).

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

7 minutes a side on high? Sounds like beef jerky!

Most people dont know what "high" heat is. I do 90 seconds each side on a 1-1.25" rib-eye and it comes out perfect. But thats at 700+ degrees on my grill grates. BTW grill grates are awesome if you dont have some! http://grillgrate.com/

Also filet and a flat iron steak are two totally different cuts best cooked and eaten differently. Some days I feel a caveman style rib-eye, some days I feel a reverse seared(smoked) filet.

Last edited:

madscotsman

Established Member

Most people dont know what "high" heat is. I do 90 seconds each side on a 1-1.25" rib-eye and it comes out perfect. But thats at 700+ degrees on my grill grates. BTW grill grates are awesome if you dont have some! http://grillgrate.com/

Also filet and a flat iron steak are two totally different cuts best cooked and eaten differently. Some days I feel a caveman style rib-eye, some days I feel a reverse seared(smoked) filet.

Guess I should have clarified the temp. My grill reaches around 500 degrees on high heat (smaller 2 burner weber gas grill). Once I get it there, 7 minutes on each side leaves it nice and pink on the inside. My wife and son like their steaks med-->med-well while I like them still moo'ing when I cut into them. I'll have to look into those grill grates.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

This.

Gonna have to look into those grill grates.

Users who are viewing this thread