Time to Cook Steak?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Stab cow, get steak on plate before the last moo fades.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Guess I should have clarified the temp. My grill reaches around 500 degrees on high heat (smaller 2 burner weber gas grill). Once I get it there, 7 minutes on each side leaves it nice and pink on the inside. My wife and son like their steaks med-->med-well while I like them still moo'ing when I cut into them. I'll have to look into those grill grates.

No worries. I could be misunderstanding what you call a flat iron steak too. I'm picturing the relatively thin, like half inch or less, real wide long steaks.

This.

Gonna have to look into those grill grates.

The grates are awesome, especially on greasy burgers that tend to flare up. I actually have to cook a bit lower temp than usual with them because they conduct so well. Great for fish too if you use the finger spatula thing.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The grates are awesome, especially on greasy burgers that tend to flare up. I actually have to cook a bit lower temp than usual with them because they conduct so well. Great for fish too if you use the finger spatula thing.

Yeah im thinking too with chicken, we get marinated chicken from the mexican market down the street from us, its really juicy and flares up like a mofo.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I haven't fried a steak in about 10 years. Usually, I'll put them on the grill (propane) after thawing for 2-3 days. Usually takes under 10-15 minutes

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah im thinking too with chicken, we get marinated chicken from the mexican market down the street from us, its really juicy and flares up like a mofo.

I use em on chicken alot too, the higher temp gives you a nice bit of char marks on them!

I haven't fried a steak in about 10 years. Usually, I'll put them on the grill (propane) after thawing for 2-3 days. Usually takes under 10-15 minutes

Do an experiment and cook your steaks frozen next time. It sounds like Heresy, but they actually turn out really great! You get less over cooked gray area than if you thaw them. I didnt believe it until I tried it myself.

http://www.businessinsider.com/never-thaw-frozen-steaks-before-cooking-2014-8

madscotsman

Established Member
Stab cow, get steak on plate before the last moo fades.

Wipe its A$$, cut off the horns and throw it on a plate...

flat iron steak.jpg

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
^^^Baller...lol
Baller my ass. Lol Thats dirt cheap for a dry aged steak. Arent very many good choices in the new orleans area for top grade steak. Still a great steak none the less.

Beautiful candidate for a reverse sear!! I've done some 2 and 3" rib-eyes before, and a few 2-3" filets. Soooo good

Hmm dont know much about reverse searing. Going research it now.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Baller my ass. Lol Thats dirt cheap for a dry aged steak. Arent very many good choices in the new orleans area for top grade steak. Still a great steak none the less.

Hmm dont know much about reverse searing. Going research it now.

You cook it at "low" heat(220-250) until it is within 5-10 degrees of the doneness you want, I go 110ish degrees internal. Then you pull it off and get the grill(I have a green egg so it gets HOT) as hot as you possibly can, then sear it 60-90 seconds each side. Rest it for a few minutes while you prep/plate everything else.

You *can* do the reverse portion in the oven and still get alot of the benefits. If you do it on a charcoal powered grill you get alot of smokiness during the low temp portion.

Last edited:

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
You cook is at "low" heat(220-250) until it is within 5-10 degrees of the doneness you want, I go 110ish degrees internal. Then you pull it off and get the grill(I have a green egg so it gets HOT) as hot as you possibly can, then sear it 60-90 seconds each side. Rest it for a few minutes while you prep/plate everything else.

You *can* do the reverse portion in the oven and still get alot of the benefits. If you do it on a charcoal powered grill you get alot of smokiness during the low temp portion.

Sounds awesome!! Definitely trying that next time.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds awesome!! Definitely trying that next time.

^^^definitely interesting

Its really great because you get the temp you like through the entire steak. No "gray band". And if done over charcoal it adds a bit more smokey flavor.

Another method to try is caveman, but i'd only do it with natural lump charcoal(all I cook with). Thats when you cook it 2-3 minutes per side straight on the bed of hot coals, best with steaks not as thick, maybe 1", 1.5" max. Gets a very unique texture and awesome flavor. The doneness varies throughout the surface, so you get bits of char here and there. Really good, but certainly unique, probably not for everyone.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I wont get into using the sous vide cooker/heater I got 2 weeks ago then....

Users who are viewing this thread