Timing Chain Noise

mhunsr

Established Member
Was out driving around on Saturday and started hearing a constant ticking/rattling noise. I had to stop somewhere, when I got back in the car and started it, the noise started again after a few seconds. When I arrived at the house, popped the hood and it is definitely from the front of the engine and around the timing chain cover. Looks like I will removing everything from the front of the engine before ordering parts to see what I need.

Anyone had to do this yet? I have not found any write-ups or how-tos.

mhunsr

Established Member
I started disassembly yesterday...I have drained both coolants and removed degas tanks, removed most hoses, removed the belts and all pulleys, removed spark plugs, removed battery and tray, loosened valve covers, removed thermostat housing, loosened power steering and laid aside, removed CAI, removed balancer.

To Do list:

Drain Oil - remove front 2 oil pan bolts
Remove Throttle body and intake elbow
Remove Alternator
Remove coolant assembly behind alternator (can't remember actual name right now)
Remove Oil filter (and assembly)

The last three steps are really to remove the bottom right bolt of the front cover and provide space for removal. Other mod motors do not require this from what I have researched, only the GT500 5.4 4v.

Wish me luck!!

mhunsr

Established Member
~63,000 miles

Water pump bolts are out - now I need to coerce the pump to release from the block (bigger hammer). Then I should be able to pull the cover off.

I have not removed the throttle body yet. Removed the oil cooler, and then the mount for the oil cooler, alternator, and filter. There is a bolt for the assembly behind the oil cooler. Which means I had to loosen the front sway bar to get the alternator out of the way. but the last front cover bolt is out!

If it turns out to not be something with the timing chain, I may be selling a GT500 with some assembly required - bring trailer!! J/K LOL

mhunsr

Established Member
The front cover is off - and all the timing components are intact. Tensioners, chains, and guides are in good working orders. Cam gears are also good. FYI - GT500 uses aluminum guides arms. Learn something new everyday.

Odd thing though, before I started pulling things apart, I checked all the pulleys, water pump, alternator, and other parts with bearings and nothing significant. After I pulled the water pump, I checked it again and sounds like it has a bad bearing or something inside is bad. I will investigate more, but ordering a new one and will begin reinstallation.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I would at least replace the tensioners while in there, and the chains for good measure. Just in case they are stretched at all.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
A few years ago I had some knocking coming from the front of my big bore stroker when it was cold. When it warmed up everything was good. I ended up pulling the front cover and replacing the main tensioners and it was fine after that. The tensioners I removed looked fine, but something was wrong with at least one of them.

Since you're in this far I'd at least replace the tensioners.

mhunsr

Established Member
Thanks...might change them since I am there -couldn't hurt. The noise began after I was already driving with the engine at operating temperature.

mhunsr

Established Member
Finally...back up and running! No noises that shouldn't be there!

New parts:
Water Pump
1 Idler Pulley
Timing Chain Tensioners
Gaskets and bolts
No extra parts left on workbench (LOL)

Re-inspected everything and cleaned as I went and had access to parts we can't reach when assembled. Changed the oil and found no metal flakes or otherwise. Recently changed the coolants, so just reused those.

Started car and had a few noises from not running in 2 months that went away after a minute or so. A little smoke from oil residue, no leaks, and ran well. Seems to run a little cooler than before, and seems to run a little "easier". Revs a little quicker and butt dyno feels a little stronger. I imagine it is to be expected with less parasitic loss (idler pulley and water pump) and timing chain not loose (tensioners).

I am a believer in things happen for a reason. The noise caused me to change the parts. Not sure of the exact cause of the noise, or if it was a combination of bad parts, but it was for he better. Now I need to get to a dyno and a track.

Users who are viewing this thread