Timing on TVS

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, I'd be interested in seeing what people are running for spark advance on TVS'd cars. I just did a pull in 3rd in my car and I only had the handheld with me so I only logged a few things.

It is 42*F here this morning and it was a quick 3rd gear pull... But my timing dropped to 12* right on the hit, but kept climbing throughout the pull, all the way to 17.5* by 6000rpms.

I have the 90mm pulley running the stock airbox.

I'll do an actual datalog later using the laptop and I'll post it :)

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Hey guys, I'd be interested in seeing what people are running for spark advance on TVS'd cars. I just did a pull in 3rd in my car and I only had the handheld with me so I only logged a few things.

It is 42*F here this morning and it was a quick 3rd gear pull... But my timing dropped to 12* right on the hit, but kept climbing throughout the pull, all the way to 17.5* by 6000rpms.

I have the 90mm pulley running the stock airbox.

I'll do an actual datalog later using the laptop and I'll post it :)

You don't want to datalog with the hand held. Its not very accurate and responsive.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
The cars tend to pull a little timing on the hit it seems. My car see about 15.25 with crummy Oklahoma 91 and 24 with corn :)

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Use a laptop and look at the timing across the rpm band. If it starts to drop then the knock sensors are pulling timing to save the motor. Maybe because its so cold you are able to run that much timing but I would still like a bit less on a tvs.

BMR Tech

We are running a peak of 14* with our VMP-TVS.

JLT intake and 79mm pulley / 620rwhp through the 6R80-Auto.

CPRsm

The slow piston speed at lower rpm and the int cam advancing on the hit is why it needs to retard to fast. We knock it down to 9-10 deg. Once you pass peak torque you can start advancing again.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
What timing to you go up to on 93oct with a 90mm pulley and stock intake CPR? A well known tuner told my buddy a little while ago that he goes up to 18-19* on a pulley that big with 93 oct and stock airbox.

JerryC

Established Member
The place that installed my tvs said Justin's tune maxed at 15 degrees. Justin said we could bump it one or two degrees. I left it alone.
Aorbox and 82mm. I have run a 79mm and saw afr pushing 12 in the winter.

CPRsm

What timing to you go up to on 93oct with a 90mm pulley and stock intake CPR? A well known tuner told my buddy a little while ago that he goes up to 18-19* on a pulley that big with 93 oct and stock airbox.
Couldn't say definitively. But if that pulley is 8-9psi the I could see 18-19 especially on 93. I have run up to 17 deg on that boost level and 91.

jojobee

Established Member
Couldn't say definitively. But if that pulley is 8-9psi the I could see 18-19 especially on 93. I have run up to 17 deg on that boost level and 91.

Not sure what to think of VMP tune anymore...see my latest datalog@wot while Justin was finalizing my tune with the car on a MD dyno.
I saw 21 and 19deg on the final tune running 93oct with a 82mm pulley
It must be noted that with a cai and headers i only see 8-9psi.

With the recent blown coyote that was also showing high timing i'm not 100% confident on this tune anymore.
I know there is a lot more than timing in a tune but imo i still find the setings high.

AlmostfinalVMP_zps9f688589.jpg

FinalVMP_zps8b5c75f2.jpg

The bottom picture is my final and current tune!

Last edited:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
If you feel that's high, why not tell him to lower?
People complain-when numbers are too low and when they're on the brink. The grey is slim...sometimes you pay to play. There's been one blown VMP tuned FI car I've seen on forums...I'm not biased, I have three tunes for my SC'd car, but drama is getting childlike.

CPRsm

Did the car pick up with the additional timing? If it did leave it. If it didn't, there's no point in having it. There's a window of little to no return on timing before knock. Pull your plugs and look at them. They will tell you if it's too much. The number for timing isn't irrelevant, but it's not set in stone. I couldn't run that on the turbo set up. But they're less effecient and may need more timing to light off. Your gas could be the shit. Who knows. Pull all 8 and take some pics.

jojobee

Established Member
If you feel that's high, why not tell him to lower?
People complain-when numbers are too low and when they're on the brink. The grey is slim...sometimes you pay to play. There's been one blown VMP tuned FI car I've seen on forums...I'm not biased, I have three tunes for my SC'd car, but drama is getting childlike.

I see no drama here, after all this is an open forum to share your opinion and ask questions. Me too i have seen only one blown VMP car but the fact that he simply refuses to address it on the forum is leaving a lot of room for interpretation.
Do not assume i havent talked to Justin and questioned him about my timings, he's not exactly the most talkative guy :eek:
The fact that all the big tuners know what they're doing and all have much more knowledge than me doesnt mean that as a customer i do not have the right to ask questions. An error is always possible.

jojobee

Established Member
Did the car pick up with the additional timing? If it did leave it. If it didn't, there's no point in having it. There's a window of little to no return on timing before knock. Pull your plugs and look at them. They will tell you if it's too much. The number for timing isn't irrelevant, but it's not set in stone. I couldn't run that on the turbo set up. But they're less effecient and may need more timing to light off. Your gas could be the shit. Who knows. Pull all 8 and take some pics.

That will be easy as i have the plugs on my desk :)
I had a couple of misfire last week and found out that one plug was incorrectly gapped 0.50 instead of .30 like my other FRPP plugs.
The scary part was that this plug was for number 8 and that there was a small part of the ceramic that was missing.
I replaced all plugs with ngk iridium gapped 0.32, misfire is fixed now.
At the same time i did a compression test on two cylinders for comparison and they both scored 175.
I'll snap some pictures and post them shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread