tinting taillights

TSammut

Established Member
want to tint my rear taillights/smoke them. i want them to be as dark as possible but still show through red when i brake, of course. someone told me you can get special tint for them and that some places will do it for you even. let me know if anyone has any experience in this

crazycarlo

Established Member
ive seen good and bad results with Niteshades. The bad.... it ends up rough and corncobbed. You can finx that though with some sandpaper and plenty of water. if you wetsand them afterwards they turn out ok. If you have a 99+ car id get some vinyl tint off e-bay its precut for your tails and turns out great. My best friend has it on his 03 GT and it looks awesome. Just make sure you prep good.

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
ive seen good and bad results with Niteshades. The bad.... it ends up rough and corncobbed. You can finx that though with some sandpaper and plenty of water. if you wetsand them afterwards they turn out ok. If you have a 99+ car id get some vinyl tint off e-bay its precut for your tails and turns out great. My best friend has it on his 03 GT and it looks awesome. Just make sure you prep good.

+1 This is exactly what I did for under $20. It is on about a year now here in the florida sun no issue. If you paint the lens the tail lights are done and you will have to buy new ones if you ever want to go back.

Blownsob

Blown Member
Established Member
Do some searching around on this site lots of people including myself have discussed this many times before and have posted pics as well.

RedDemon91

Established Member
I just bought some of the vht nightshades yesterday and am doing mine this week. The guy told me it's the best stuff in the market, it's in a spray can and all you do is put three coats on and let it dry after you've prepped it. I'll let you know how it turns out and post some pics.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
use vht niteshades or a mix of black and clear coat paint

This is black base with extra reducer in it, then cleared.

8xn09h.jpg

9igr60.jpg

Sep20002sm.jpg

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
Wow i like both but my only concern would be driving at night with the front lites that dark. But they look great

96dreamer

Established Member
i did a write up in the sn95 section last summer. mine came out ok then i went back and wetsanded them and they look like glass, no updates since then though

TSammut

Established Member
i really want to do this to my svtcontour so i'm no paint expert and the vht nightshades stuff seems within my capabilities... and affordable which is important. thanks for the tips i've gotten so far but if anyone has any further words of wisdom with that actual application let me know. i only have one set of brake lights and don't want to mess them up!

04BlkMach88

Established Member
This is black base with extra reducer in it, then cleared.

8xn09h.jpg

9igr60.jpg

Sep20002sm.jpg

Damn they look nice as hell. :rockon:
Don't know if this is a stupid question,
If you paint the tail lights with the same method you used would you be able 2 wax them?
I would think so. :??:

TSammut

Established Member
i'm also worried about my vision at night here... those look sweet as hell but how am i going to see at night. same thing with the taillights... during the day, do the brakes shine through fine?

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
If you use Niteshades you HAVE to apply clear. They will turn out like shit without it. I applied 3 coats on my tails and 2 on my headlights with about 3-4 coats of clear. I then hit them with Adams Swirl and Haze remover on speed 6 with my pc. Both the heads and tails turned out great. I will see what I can do about getting some pics.

It does reduce the visibility at night too, so I would suggest HIDs.

Users who are viewing this thread