Tipping Auto Transport Drivers, Yes/No How Much?

blackedout06

Established Member
alright guys, bought a truck from a dealership in Texas last week and I am having it shipped all the way up to Massachusetts as we speak. I have never shipped a vehicle before so this is all new to me... should I tip the driver and if so how much?

Regulars520

Established Member
I have had 3 vehicles shipped and have never tipped the driver. Never thought that was a trend. :shrug: Toss him a beer

Regulars520

Established Member
Seeing I drove big trucks for over 22 years and close to 2M miles, don't offer the beer. lol

Lol Diet Coke? The drivers never hinted that they were looking for a tip, they usually seemed in a hurry to get back on the road. I hope that I wasnt supposed to tip them because Ill feel bad that I didnt.

Equalbracket

Established Member
So your truck is delivered in pristine condition, it's exactly like you expected it to be.... Well all he did was his job like he was supposed to.

REPOMAN1

Established Member
I just had my cobra shipped cross country . I was thinking the same thing . When I booked the shipment they threw in 100 service fee on top of the cost so that made me not tip to be honest .

oldmodman

Established Member
I was helping a friend with his car that he was showing at Pebble Beach back in the 70's

When his car came off the Reliable Transport trailer and he had checked it over (it was flawless) his wife gave the driver a big plate of her homemade, still warm brownies.

For that the driver was very appreciative. Not really a "TIP", but certainly a nice way to say 'Thanks for getting my baby here safe and sound"

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I own a transport business, I can tell you most drivers don't expect a tip, but keep in where you live assuming that's the drop location, residential deliveries are not always easy, is really up to you, feel it out some drivers are A**holes.

blackedout06

Established Member
I didnt tip but did deduct a grand for the damage he did .
haha I hope that this is not the case with my truck ^ The driver seems really nice, I have talked to him a few times regarding when he thinks he will be arriving so I can get the day off. He is not easy to understand though lol hence why I have talked to him twice about the same topic. I guess Ill toss him a small tip if everything is in order. Thanks for the input guys!

greenscobie86

Established Member
I gave a guy $20 once because he helped me unload a non steering(but running) car into my driveway. Feel it out.

Blackoyote

Established Member
When I had my Cobra shipped I didn't even consider thinking about tipping...it's not a 'service industry' job where a tip is expected or needed, as they're paid very well already to do what they're doing.

In certain situation I could see where a little extra may be nice, but it really depends on how much you've already paid. If a tow truck driver helps you (as pointed out above) move a non running car, yeah he has gone above and beyond...so I'd pay for lunch for the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread