• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Tips for buying a 2016 GT350

Discussion in '2015+ Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Firstang001, Jan 26, 2019.

1. 662

662 Active Member Established Member

I just checked the HB website and the lots of actions on right now with the trial scheduled for Feb 4 2019... I guess we will know pretty soon.

2. Kevinbonds

Kevinbonds Active Member Established Member

There are a whole mess of tech cars for sale.. seeing prices for low mile tech cars reaching low 40’s. Some one owner super low mile cars being advertised for 41k, that’s before any haggling. I’m torn, because I want the new GT500 due to the transmission, but the prices on the tech cars are really coming down. However like everyone I don’t want to get stock with a car I can’t take to a road course, or resell. And I live in Florida and it gets hot and humid which is tough on cars.

3. MarcSpaz

MarcSpaz Resident Trouble Maker Premium Member Established Member

My car was a 2016 Tech Pack. Heated and cooled power seats, etc. I added coolers to it so I could track it. It was next to worthless on the track without the coolers, which was a bit of a pain, but I added the coolers because the trans overheated on the way to dinner on a hot summer night. I was not happy about limp mode while I was driving on the streets.

Realistically, I'll probably never buy another Tech car due to that. That said, the GT350 is by far, the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. I may get another one... but I have 2 other cars I want to pay off first.

WVTrakPak likes this.
  4. Osiris

Osiris Active Member Established Member

HB? What is the website link? I'd like to follow this myself...

I live in a warm climate also, never hit LM once. I've auto crossed in the middle of summer many times. Temps here reach the mid 90s with 30%+ humidity all the time.

Took it through a canyon in Colorado a couple years ago, about 45 minutes of spirited driving in low gears. 12k feet up with temps in the upper 80s. Didnt even know about the whole tech/track thing back then. Never hit it.

Had the fluids checked...all look fine...maybe I didn't hammer it that hard? Lol

I have another view on techs...I may sound biased, but I'm really not. I'm not trying to sell my car.

I think the values are low because of the things that we see on these forums but the general public who doesn't read this or care about it are going to see these techs as good values.

Not everyone who buys one of these wants to or will ever take it out on a track. To them, the car does what they need it to do and they'll be happy.

Still there will be others who don't a track pack car for fear that the car has been hammered on...In fact, one might find it advantageous to find a low mile tech and just put the coolers on they'll pay close to the same money as a 17 without the worry, or less of a worry we could assume, that the car was driven more easily than a track pack was.

Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

5. Kevinbonds

Kevinbonds Active Member Established Member

I believe the people who buy a low volume car like this are educated. You might get some people who think they look good and buy one. Most people paying up to 50K for a three year old "mustang" are not your typical car buyers. The reason I know, is I have been browsing around at privately owned 2016's for sale.. Most of the people I have talked to who have them for sale.. know about the oil consumption and the limp mode.. In fact, one I looked at locally the guy said I was the third person to ask him about the oil issues and overheating..

6. Firstang001

Firstang001 Member Established Member

Wow, i never knew about the over heating issue. Living in Phoenix with summer temps touching 120 and consistent 110's.. i wonder how would the car behave..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

7. tomshep

tomshep Another R Addict Established Member

Oh boy.....to be clear for everyone reading this thread so there is no future confusion.

For 2016, you cannot have a Tech Package AND Track Package car FROM THE FACTORY.

However, an owner can add whatever upgrades, coolers, window dice, etc. as they see fit.

Tom

Tob and DAVESVT2000 like this.
  8. MarcSpaz

MarcSpaz Resident Trouble Maker Premium Member Established Member

Correct. However, the only thing that a fully equipped 2016 Track Pack doesn't have from the Tech cars is the heated and cooled power seats. The Track Pack has the manual recaro seats and slightly upgraded splitter and wing.

To the best of my knowledge, unless Ford did a custom build for someone, there were no legit "Tech" cars that have factory installed coolers, nor Track cars that had heated and cooled power seats.

9. Osiris

Lol did I say from the factory?

Who cares? Point is it can be done.

10. Osiris

Right...and likely educated enough to know the coolers can be added, which was my original point.

That said, there are STILL a LOT of people out there who don't and even more who wouldn't care because the likelyhood of them taking their car on to a track where LM would occur is rather low.

11. IamRacerX

IamRacerX No brand loyalty rhetoric here. Established Member

Have you guys seen the discounts on new ‘18s at some of the dealers? That’s the direction I would go..

MarcSpaz likes this.