Tire alignment question

venum03

Established Member
Took the cobra to Discount Tire today for a routine balance and rotate...After pulling the tires, they called me out to show me some moderate wear on the inside of the tires, along the inner edge...They said that it was caused due to the toe being aligned at an angle inward...They said all stangs are aligned like that to help cornering...I'm no expert but I'm not sure if I believe that...Anybody have a heads up on this?

jfsram

Established Member
Inside wear is from camber, not toe.
While zero degrees of camber will allow for good tire life, it does nothing for handling.

Wider the tire, the more this becomes a problem.

beabout

Established Member
Had the same problem with mine. The only way my alignment guy could get the car into spec was to install aftermarket CC plates. Used MM 4 bolt. I know it doesn't really improve the handling but, it does make for longer tire life.

It seems that Ford would not go for the CC plates that were needed to prevent the dreaded pull issue so that misadjusted the alignment to make the car track correctly.

:nono:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Give your car about -1* of camber up front and you'll see light wear and better handling....

I have my car image aligned and it still has that inevitable "Mustang" pull... Its also lowered to hell and back so it might have something to do with it.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Excessive inner tire wear can be from both excess negative camber and excess toe. Stock settings for Cobra (slight negative camber and positive toe) should not result in abnormal wear. Unless something is bent up front or car is lowered, there is no need for CC plates-- the stock mounting setup has adequate range for proper adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread