Tire question- Im sorry, I know. Top End

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I throw up a little every time I see a new thread on tires, so imagine the irony asking about the same damn subject. BUT, I think my question is valid, and should be easily found rather than buried in one of the countless other threads we have covering tires.

Ive gone back and read most recent threads as now is the time to upgrade for me.

I agree with most that the right tire for the street is the MPSS 295 for my rears.

Then I ran into a little snag. As I was doing a bit more research, it turns out that tire is Y rated. This means it has a speed rating of 186 MPH, and when I go down the Texas mile in March, if I top that, which I will, Im getting kicked out. Thats fine if my first run is my best chance and run of the event, but otherwise, not so much.

So a kind of shout out to the guys driving close to and over 200 MPH, (Which I plan to top on a 10.2 mile straight-away in Terlingua later this year) what do you guys recommend for the mile, and street driving, all in one? Is there a different MPSS that is ZR rated or something I overlooked?:shrug:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I thought there were 2 different MPSS rated options. Can't remember what thread I thought I saw that in. I certainly wouldn't be running a tire in those kind of events that were not up to the task. My understanding is you have to make practice ins at slower speeds before you're cleared to make a full blast. I'd be pissed if I couldn't get the "all clear" after everything is said and done.

BlownAway03

Established Member
I did a little research and I'm pretty positive there's 2 types of Y ratings. For instance, 99Y is up to 186mph.
(99Y) is 186+mph. I think the parenthesis is the key.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I did a little research and I'm pretty positive there's 2 types of Y ratings. For instance, 99Y is up to 186mph.
(99Y) is 186+mph. I think the parenthesis is the key.

Your information is correct. You have to have (Y) rated tires(186+mph) to run the texas mile. The other tire is not permitted.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Are u putting the 295 on a stock rim? I ask cuz technically the rim is not the proper size for 295. I have a similar problem, I want to be able to track my car at Elkhart Lake. I am worried I will fail tech cuz the tire is half inch wider than recommend??? I have never tracked my car so I have no idea what they look at.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
I thought there were 2 different MPSS rated options. Can't remember what thread I thought I saw that in. I certainly wouldn't be running a tire in those kind of events that were not up to the task. My understanding is you have to make practice ins at slower speeds before you're cleared to make a full blast. I'd be pissed if I couldn't get the "all clear" after everything is said and done.

Not practice runs, but you have to run between 140-165 to qualify for 165-199, but once you are licensed for that bracket, you can run. Im licensed and good up to 199. I dont think my car will break 200, but I can see it doing 190 if I got the right weather. I was 176.6 in bad winds and temps, and only the 13-6. If I add better tires and run it with my new LTs and H-pipe, Im thinking 10 MPH should easily happen with the right conditions, if not 15.:rockon:

Yeah, Im familiar with the ratings, Im not familiar with a tire that we can street, has better grip than the stock and is rated (Y) or better.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
Are u putting the 295 on a stock rim? I ask cuz technically the rim is not the proper size for 295. I have a similar problem, I want to be able to track my car at Elkhart Lake. I am worried I will fail tech cuz the tire is half inch wider than recommend??? I have never tracked my car so I have no idea what they look at.

How would they know if you have a 9" or 10" rim without taking the wheel off and measuring. Ive never seen that done by any event tech.

Some wont run better than a 285, but a 295 should be just fine.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
How would they know if you have a 9" or 10" rim without taking the wheel off and measuring. Ive never seen that done by any event tech.

Some wont run better than a 285, but a 295 should be just fine.

I don't know. Only asked.

The 295 104y I think is what I was looking at. I believe it has the 186+ rating and Has 1" more tread width than the 285.

dubbsfaris

Established Member
2013 GT500 193.6 MPH - Texas Mile March 2013 - YouTube
I think you'll be fine at the TX mile if you are stock but at the 10 mile race you'll need better tires.

Yup, I was there for that run. We had epic weather conditions that week.

You are right- The 10 mile is what is giving me pause. I would rather buy one tire that works for both than rush into one now, then a different one later.

Ill check the 104y. I was unaware the mpss had multiple designs. If that's the case, that solves my problem.:beer:

mullens

Established Member
According to Tire Rack's spec sheet, MPSS are (Y) rated, same as the stock G2's. The number before the Y is the load rating i.e. (101Y), (105Y), etc. There are no multiple speed ratings for this tire in our sizes, only load ratings.

Last edited:

bullitt2735

Established Member
I double checked michelin's website for you. The MPSS tires are rated in both Y (up to 186) and (Y) 186+. The only one size of MPSS is not rated for 186+ is in 245/35/19 size, so you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

OEM for Terlingua. MPSS (Y) for the Mile. The OEM Tire was specifically designed for this car based on my dialogue with the guys from Goodyear at Daytona in December.

I like the Michelin's and I recommend them regularly but this application is different. (Terlingqua) Although rated for 186+ MPH I'm not certain Michelin would give you the thumbs up for 10 + miles at speed. We know the Goodyears were engineered for 200+ unless someone from Michelin can come on and say otherwise.

mullens

Established Member
OEM for Terlingua. MPSS (Y) for the Mile. The OEM Tire was specifically designed for this car based on my dialogue with the guys from Goodyear at Daytona in December.

I like the Michelin's and I recommend them regularly but this application is different. (Terlingqua) Although rated for 186+ MPH I'm not certain Michelin would give you the thumbs up for 10 + miles at speed. We know the Goodyears were engineered for 200+ unless someone from Michelin can come on and say otherwise.

You are correct Van regarding this tire being designed specifically for this car. It only comes in two sizes.. both Shelby specific. That being said, I'm at a loss as to why the g2's have such undesirable everyday driving characteristics and most guys (including myself ) are switching out. I'm sure they are a great track tire but how many of us track our cars?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have a standing offer to take everyone's "junk" stock tires off their hands for $300. After all, they're crap and just taking up space in the garage, right? :beer:

rwboring

Established Member
You are correct Van regarding this tire being designed specifically for this car. It only comes in two sizes.. both Shelby specific. That being said, I'm at a loss as to why the g2's have such undesirable everyday driving characteristics and most guys (including myself ) are switching out. I'm sure they are a great track tire but how many of us track our cars?

? Doesn't the ZL1 have the same line of tire? just in different sizes? I believe that Goodyear made the size for the car, I don't know if I believe they actually made the design for the car.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What's the Terlingua event you guys are talking about. Somebody give me a key word or two so I can search it?

Users who are viewing this thread