Tire seasoning?

Skoalman

Banned
Ok, so i just put some new Nito555 drag radials on my Lightning (pics later), but a local friend told me about 'seasoning' the tires. Any input on this??
Thanks in advance.

-I searched, but came up short.

Skoalman

Banned
It has something to do with doing a 15 second burnout then parking the vehicle overnight. Supposed to bring the oils to the surface, to ensure tire longevity.
Expansion and contraction theory...

Again, thanks for your input, tire gurus.

Skoalman

Banned
Nobody huh?
Even supporting vendors can't answer the question?

Too technical maybe, I won't bother with pics then.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
FWIW, us road racers "heat cycle" our tires. Run them in a session, bringing them up to road racing temps, then remove them from the car, lay flat on their side and let sit for a 24 hour period.

Some tires it's more important to heat cycle than others.

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Skoalman

Banned
Thanks for the feedback, i'm familiar with heat cycling from my old autocrossing days but i wanted to know if anyone in here had tried the drag radial tire seasoning, (or if it's even recommended on a daily driven application for tire longevity).

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I like to add some oregano and celery salt. Tenderizes the sidewalls so they don't stick to your ribs. :D

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I've bought six Nitto 555's for two cars in the past few months and all of them will shimmy the steering wheel a little bit at lower speeds. I don't have the space to remove the wheels and keep the car up on jackstands.

I got them from Discount Tire Direct. If they offerend heat cycling I'd buy it. I think it would have helped these tires.

Khumho 712's were really bad about this.

9746C

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I called Discount Tire Direct.

He said they only offer cycling on competition tires, and that there is no point cycling street tires because they are cured differently.

Is he right? I dunno. My instincts say he isn't and any tire could benefit from controlled heat cycling.

9746C

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
9746Cobra said:
I called Discount Tire Direct.

He said they only offer cycling on competition tires, and that there is no point cycling street tires because they are cured differently.

Is he right? I dunno. My instincts say he isn't and any tire could benefit from controlled heat cycling.

9746C

A tire as hard as a street tire will not benefit from heat cycling.

OTOH, if you have vibe issues you could shave a street tire to true it up.

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Thanks!

I've narrowed down my vibe to the driveshaft as I'm able to make the vast majority of it go away with hoseclamps.

Now I'm looking for a reputable shop to buy a well-balanced alluminum shaft to replace my TSB'd factory non-well balanced alluminum shaft.

Any suggestions?

9746C

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I had my Nitto's (315/35/17 Dr's) heat cycled before I installed them and after 25+ 1/4 trips and a few thousand street miles there is still about 1/2 tread left.

Users who are viewing this thread