TIRES ---

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So I am finally back to getting the 95 set up. Needless to say as long as it has been sitting I need new tires. So what are folks running now days on these cars ? I am sticking with the stock wheels 255/45 R17s of some type .. was thinking of Michelin Pilots but apparently they don't make them in that size at least on discount tires website.

After all the mess with trying to get this thing finish I rolled the car back to pretty much stock. Lots of money wasted mostly due to the original shop going bankrupt and losing a ton of the smaller bits and a few larger bits as well. But that is water under the bridge and I need tires .. thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. I will NOT run Drag radials and won't be doing much track time anymore

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah the options are not great anymore for 17" performance tires. It's definitely not like it used to be. Only positive part of it all is the tires are way less than they were years ago for a 17" tire.

I bought the nt555 g2 this last summer for my 95. They were on rebate at the time with discount.

Matt on here helped me out and you can message him. He is the discount tire rep for the forum. Let him know what you want and he is quite helpful. Plus he can get your order in, which makes it easy when you just roll up to the store.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

delvin.a

Established Member
You can get a 255/40r17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s if going down a little isn’t out of the question. I’ve had 4s’a on a couple cars and really like them.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
In 94 and 95, the stock size was 255-45/17.

Interesting. Are the wheels 17" X 8" or are they wider? The 245's would still work, even with a 9" wheel. A 10mm difference is pretty insignificant in this case.

Tillerman77

Established Member
17" x 8" is the stock size on 94 through 98 Cobras. They down sized the tire in 96 to the 245-45/17. I am running the 255s on my 97 Cobra wheels.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Indy 500s are a great choice for a street tire. It's not going to be as sticky as a 200TW tire but it'll last longer because of it. Wet traction is very good, the tire doesn't like being below 40 degrees.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Indy 500s are a great choice for a street tire. It's not going to be as sticky as a 200TW tire but it'll last longer because of it. Wet traction is very good, the tire doesn't like being below 40 degrees.
That is why I like the Conti DWS06 - they aren't ice skates at 40 degrees or lower and better tread wear as well. I debated getting summer sticky tires but I like to drive early and late in the season before the salt covers the roads. I have fun drives with these tires in many conditions.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
The DWS06 is an UHP All-Season, the Indy500 is an UHP Summer tire.

You're talking about a tire specifically designed as a 340 tread wear Summer tire vs an All-Season with a 560 tread wear. Of course it's going to wear better and be better in the cold.

A little unfair to compare the two.

I'm glad the DSW06 fits your needs and more importantly, I'm glad you recognize what kind of tire best fits your needs. Tons of people can't do that.

Tillerman77

Established Member
The DWS06 is an UHP All-Season, the Indy500 is an UHP Summer tire.

You're talking about a tire specifically designed as a 340 tread wear Summer tire vs an All-Season with a 560 tread wear. Of course it's going to wear better and be better in the cold.

A little unfair to compare the two.

I'm glad the DSW06 fits your needs and more importantly, I'm glad you recognize what kind of tire best fits your needs. Tons of people can't do that.
Basically agree, except for the part about it being an unfair comparison/suggestion. Unless I misunderstood the OP, he was looking for tires to go on a stock wheel on a returned to stock Cobra. While the Pilot was mentioned, he didn't say he was looking for summer only tire with low tread wear.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
well it's down to the Continentals or Yokohamas .. still looking .. Yokohama's are on sale for the price to the continentals not on sale

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
the 4s Michelin is a nice tire. But not available in a 255/45-17. I did see the regular Pilot 4 in that size though.

Users who are viewing this thread