To-Do List

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Found some money to play with so I'm going to get some work done. Here's my list so far:

FL Sub-frames + Install = $275
Re-paint front bumper = $300 (?)
FR500 steering wheel = $150
4.10's + Install = $800
Gauges and bezel = $165
Upgrade Rotors and Pads = $500
Diff Brace + Install = $240
New lugs + Misc. junk = $50
Low-profile jack = $150
New impact wrench = $140

Which leaves me with $1300 to play with. Any suggestions?

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
$800 is the cheapest I could get it done for. Got estimates from almost every reputable speed shop in the area. As soon as I said "IRS" they say "That's gonna cost you". One place wanted $1500 to do it.

JohnnysCobra

Established Member
$800 is the cheapest I could get it done for. Got estimates from almost every reputable speed shop in the area. As soon as I said "IRS" they say "That's gonna cost you". One place wanted $1500 to do it.

Thats exactly what everyone told me...."IRS? Thats gonna cost a little more"

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Setting up the gears is exactly the same, its getting to the pumpkin that adds to the cost with the additional labor. Even then from what I understand it shouldn't be that much more than a solid.

Kirko

Established Member
Setting up the gears is exactly the same, its getting to the pumpkin that adds to the cost with the additional labor. Even then from what I understand it shouldn't be that much more than a solid.

No its not that difficult to do unless your doing it from jack stands. Which everything is usually more difficult from jack stands than a lift. I wouldn't pay $800 for a gear install. You would be better off doing it yourself for that kind of money you would be saving. Should cost $0-125 more than a solid would cost. Not $600 more. It isn't that much more labor.

Edit: My bad. Thought he said $800 was the labor cost.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
800 is about right all said and done. You have to add in :

around 180-190 for the Gears
40 and or 80 for the bearing kit,and installation kit
Then a shop is going to want between 400-600 dollars for labor to install it.

it takes you right around the 800 mark easy. I thought I was going to get a deal when I got my 4.10's put in. No sir.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I was thinking $800 was just the labor cost too. I remember getting gears + install in a solid 8.8 for like $450 back in the day. $800 isn't out of line. $1500 for DAMN sure is.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Gears are not that tough, getting the irs out and replacing all the bushings and doing the gear install is probably the better way to go. I'm in the middle of all this now, check my thread "black pill install" for pics on how it all looks so you have a better idea of what it takes to do this work.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I never liked the seats in the 99 cobras. Maybe upgrade to some 01-04 cobra seats or go with some aftermarkets. I have some microsuede corbeaus and love them

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i want to get some elite racing seats in mine, im going to do a 4 corner weigh in on the car then try to drop some weight

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I was quoted $125 ish for the install on the FLSFC's. I know that its not bad to take apart the IRS, its that 1. I don't have a garage 2. My car is my DD 3. I don't have a press and some of the tools needed for the job. I wish I could do at least some of the work myself but thems the breaks.

I want different seats but I'm not going to pay an arm and leg for seats that don't even match my interior (stupid parchment!). Recaro makes some seats that would go perfectly but there is no way I am paying $1300 per seat. For that amount of money my fat ass is plenty comfortable in the stock seats.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Just make sure you give the shop the diff brace when they do the gears. It shouldn't add any labor at that point.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I was quoted $125 ish for the install on the FLSFC's. I know that its not bad to take apart the IRS, its that 1. I don't have a garage 2. My car is my DD 3. I don't have a press and some of the tools needed for the job. I wish I could do at least some of the work myself but thems the breaks.

I want different seats but I'm not going to pay an arm and leg for seats that don't even match my interior (stupid parchment!). Recaro makes some seats that would go perfectly but there is no way I am paying $1300 per seat. For that amount of money my fat ass is plenty comfortable in the stock seats.

FWIW,recaro "speed" seats are one of the best looking(and comfortable) seats ive seen in a car. They are only 700 a seat. When I can shell out money on that aspect of the car,I will definitely pick them up,but right now I have other things to buy.

matt87

Established Member
i paid 600.00 at Dez racing for the gears. it amazed me how fast they had that irs apart. its not that big a deal. 800 is to high.

Users who are viewing this thread