To Oil Change Or Not

Marc

Established Member
Had my '13 500 for about a year now. It has about 4900 miles on it. Had the first oil change at 2500 miles.

Its about time to put the car up for the winter with maybe taking it out a few times if the weather is nice--probably no more than a tank of gas burned for the entire winter.

Are people changing their oil just to put in storage? If I do that, after it sits most of the time 4-5 months, it seems it would be up for another oil change as in the Spring.

With oil changes being $100+, just wondering what everyone else is doing. I know its not going to hurt the car sitting 4-5 months with it's current oil, but just wanted inputs on what others are doing.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Marc, I change mine every 6 months regardless. I realize the oil changes can be pricey but since I do my own I am usally only out $60 to $70. With that said, I would be more concerned with driving the car and having dirty oil than sitting the car and having stale or old (but clean) oil in it. It will be just fine if you wait til the early spring to change it man. As you said, crank her up every now and then and possibly take her on a short drive or two and that should help keep the oil fresh.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
If you are putting your car away for winter it's not a good idea to just start it up and letting it run. If you start it up make sure you can drive for about 20 minutes at least. If you can't drive it then don't even start it. If you know you won't drive for the whole winter then store the car properly.
Just starting the car and letting it idle causes engine condensation.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Will change my oil, Sta-Bil the gas, Battery Tender on it, covered, drive it when I can, otherwise will sit still till Spring. 4300 miles.

railroad

Established Member
I have read that used oils accumulate acids. In the same read, it was stated these acids do eat on lead babbit bearings, mains and rod bearings. I am sure cars have sat like this before and made 100 of thousands of miles, but if you want to do the best, change it.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'd change it.

FWIW, page 258 of the Owner's Manual "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage."

verbal

Established Member
I have 700 miles since my last oil change. Do I need to change mine? Do you also need to change it again in the Spring?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
And to pile on to what Norton said,

One specific thing I took from the Romeo engine Niche line tour was that the biggest enemy the 5.8 has is contaminants in the oil. Cary stressed this, and I won't go more than 6 months or 2k miles. Its peace of mind and worth it. I foresee problems with 5.8 availability one day. Not in 5 years, but maybe 10 or 15.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Store it with fresh oil. You don't want the contaminants in the motor all winter.

With that being said, I wouldn't worry about changing it come Spring time. I would just start driving it.

Tom

BCPD199

Established Member
I have read that used oils accumulate acids. In the same read, it was stated these acids do eat on lead babbit bearings, mains and rod bearings. I am sure cars have sat like this before and made 100 of thousands of miles, but if you want to do the best, change it.

You are 100% correct. This has actually been discussed before; but, for the sake of the new guys. Oil accumulates acid in it. While your engine sits over the winter, the acid will "etch" your rod and main bearings. Always install clean oil before putting your car away for hibernation.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
You are 100% correct. This has actually been discussed before; but, for the sake of the new guys. Oil accumulates acid in it. While your engine sits over the winter, the acid will "etch" your rod and main bearings. Always install clean oil before putting your car away for hibernation.

Can you point me to the thread discussing this or the article or link some of you are talking about?

I'm not a Shelby guy and I know "oil change before storage" has been discussed a lot but I don't recall hearing/reading about the "acid effect"...maybe I just haven't searched enough or read into it enough?

So what's the premise behind the fresh oil change? Is it that the fresh oil essentially "flushes" or displaces the old oil/contaminants rather than letting the old oil drip down or off the components, allowing the acid to etch the components? I'm curious here and wanting to learn more so I'm asking questions! :rolling:

Edit: I'm also asking b/c I put 1-1.5k miles on each year and fresh oil change every spring before starting it up. Oil is usually fresh looking and "smells" good when put up for winter storage. I understand the $40 oil change vs. $$ engine rebuild logic. I was always under the impression that old or new oil sitting over winter might have the possibility of getting condensation build-up in it so change it before spring, which I why I never put fresh oil in before storage and then running that oil in the spring. Just throwing that all out there...again, I'm curious...always looking to expand my knowledge base. :)

Last edited:

BCPD199

Established Member
Can you point me to the thread discussing this or the article or link some of you are talking about?

So what's the premise behind the fresh oil change? Is it that the fresh oil essentially "flushes" or displaces the old oil/contaminants rather than letting the old oil drip down or off the components, allowing the acid to etch the components? I'm curious here and wanting to learn more so I'm asking questions! :rolling:

Edit: I'm also asking b/c I put 1-1.5k miles on each year and fresh oil change every spring before starting it up. Oil is usually fresh looking and "smells" good when put up for winter storage. I understand the $40 oil change vs. $$ engine rebuild logic. I was always under the impression that old or new oil sitting over winter might have the possibility of getting condensation build-up in it so change it before spring, which I why I never put fresh oil in before storage and then running that oil in the spring. Just throwing that all out there...again, I'm curious...always looking to expand my knowledge base. :)

Sorry to answer so late. The reason for changing the oil before storage is that the old oil has contaminants in it. Those contaminants (acid) will etch into the bearings over the storage period. What little condensation that develops over the winter burns off quickly after reaching operating temperature.

I found this from a Corvette Forum. It was written by an engineer from GM. It explains better than I can on how oil breaks down as well as how it becomes contaminated and why the oil should be changed before storage.
Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Practical Corvette Care 101 | Corvette Long-Term / Winter Storage

Users who are viewing this thread